• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Property Tax on vehicles in West Virginia?

Lineman

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
I am thinking about moving to West Virginia or maybe even Virginia. But have collected all these vehicles, WV says they tax every year on 60% of value. I guess that can add up, especially every year? I just changed my insurance and I have more vehicles than I would like to admit. Fixing to retire and I would like to keep a presence in the mid Atlantic but maybe it just wont be able to happen.

I would like to hear any conversation? I like the South East in general and Louisiana I really like..

Thanks

Looks like a Grooogle search is in your future. Texas doesn't have a property tax on cars but does charge a yearly registration which is basically a tax......

FL does not "property tax" vehicles.

"Classic" registration is $38 yearly for operational, insured vehicles. Newer vehicles are taxed by weight.

Non-operational registration is a one time deal.

I am thinking about moving to West Virginia or maybe even Virginia. But have collected all these vehicles, WV says they tax every year on 60% of value. I guess that can add up, especially every year? I just changed my insurance and I have more vehicles than I would like to admit. Fixing to retire and I would like to keep a presence in the mid Atlantic but maybe it just wont be able to happen.

I would like to hear any conversation? I like the South East in general and Louisiana I really like..

Thanks
That 60% of the of cars is the what they tax. What CT does is charge is a local mill rate my town is 32 mills. If your car is worth $10.000 take 60% of that is $6,000 32 mills $32 dollars per $1,000 so 6 x $32= $192. Ct car tax on 25 and older cars with antique plates $50 a year.
I didn't read this but it helps.
https://www.jeffersoncountywv.org/home/showpublisheddocument/10123/635883821564930000

All that tax sounds like a car guys hell ! Move to Florida. Like YY1 said.

Sun and fun all year long and guess what you go to the track all year long! I want to move to warm weather!!!

In WI you don't pay car tax.
You also can get collector plates for anything 20 years or older. So a 2003 this year.
Collector plates are a one time fee, somewhere around $200 give or take and then you never pay anything ever again.
One caveat: you are not allowed to drive your car one month of the year. OH NO. They used to specify January but I think that changed.
You are also allowed to modify the car somewhat, the drivetrain for sure, wheels, and some interior.
If you go too hog wild, you can get hobby plates that act the same, but have a few other rules attached. Old truck with no seatbelts? Hobby plates. That type of thing.

I have no idea why this is not how other states do it. To act like they need tax on hobby cars that are fractions of a percent of all cars on the road just to stick you for it is actually quite aggravating. I am glad I do not need to deal with that.

New Zealand isn't that far away in the greater scheme of the universe.

Americans are always welcomed here with open arms (unless you're travelling in a nuclear powered warship or submarine which are banned).

Last edited:
Arkansas assesses personal property taxes on vehicles, boats, trailers, motorcycles, etc annually. It very irregular too. Sometimes a vintage collector car gets in as just an old car like my 67 GTX and I pay virtually nothing. Other times they demand a bill of sale and go off that, sometimes depreciating it 10% every year and sometimes freezing it. I have 4 older vehicles of some value and if your were to look at a list of them and how they are valued for taxes, you would say it makes no sense what-so-ever. Vintage car tags are a bargain however - a one-time payment of somewhere around $20 - $25 bucks and no annual re-registration. I have appealed tax assessment values successfully a few times with them and usually they try to reach some accommodation with me but nothing is free.

Maryland is a pain in the *** for a lot of things, but no PPT on vehicles. ONE inspection (when the vehicle is first titled), and that's it. Tags, 2 years. Emissions (20 yrs and newer), 2 years. Historic tags (20+ years old), I want to say $52 for 2 years. I run year of manufacture tags on my Historics, legal and allowed as long as you have a set (front and rear), and they're for the same year as the model year of the car.

7 cars, 2 trailers, and 4 motorcycles on the road right now would KILL me if we had PPT on vehicles...

No vehicle inspections in FL.

However, missing titles are not easy to resolve.

I actually think vehicle safety inspections are a good thing.
I don't want anyone getting plowed into by a vehicle that needs new brakes or in our state brake lines.
Some of our roads can develop pretty good potholes at times and damage front end parts.
This and tires are all items that need to be checked around here.
The fees are actually lower than they probably should be even in NY if you can believe that.

Unfortunately the emissions inspection is a bit more rigorous than I would like.

Cross the state line from W. VA to PA, and you have no property tax on vehicles. Stock antique (25 years or older) and classic (15 years or older) have a one time registration fee, $75 the last time I paid one, sales tax of 6% when you register for license plate. Modified street rods with limited use also have preferred license options. Classic registration requires annual state inspection, antique does not. There is a common misunderstanding about driving antique registered vehicles at night. It's legal, but the vehicle lighting must meet minimum standards. Excluded vehicles would be 1930s type stuff. The value for sales tax assessment is basically an honors system.

Same issue as Fl with titles. If you don't have a clear title, forget about registering in PA.

Maryland is a pain in the *** for a lot of things, but no PPT on vehicles. ONE inspection (when the vehicle is first titled), and that's it. Tags, 2 years. Emissions (20 yrs and newer), 2 years. Historic tags (20+ years old), I want to say $52 for 2 years. I run year of manufacture tags on my Historics, legal and allowed as long as you have a set (front and rear), and they're for the same year as the model year of the car.

7 cars, 2 trailers, and 4 motorcycles on the road right now would KILL me if we had PPT on vehicles...

Thanks, so things have gotten out of hand here. I don't have the nicest stuff but I have 14 vehicles and three trailers tagged. Two vehicles I have are projects also and an inboard boat on a trailer. Transferring the titles is going to be one thing and then if there are yearly inspections!! I am the last one to wave the Maryland flag around but we don't have inspections on 20 year old cars nor property taxes on vehicles. registrations can get pricey but its a lot of vehicles and Maryland is expensive so I suck it up on that one but it's not that terrible.

I appreciate the input on Florida (and the other states) but I never thought I would live there, ha nor Canada for that matter.... I am getting older and I think I really need to sell some stuff...

Keep the thoughts coming though, I am not going to have much of an income in retirement.

Thanks

No inspections in WI, in the parts of the state without massive urban sprawl anyway, meaning 99% of it. Maybe Milwaukee has some? I would never live in a place that big so I don't know. If you rebuild a salvage title car then you need an inspection, but that's an exception. there may be emmisions testing in Milwaukee I haven't looked into it in years and years.

If anyone wants to move here, I would not recommend if you love giant urban life. You will find the urban centers lacking in WI. If you want to live in the middle of nowhere and take care of your own business there is a lot of space for that. Keep in mind it might also mean an ambulance is half an hour away. That is a price you pay for having 2 neighbors in a 10 mile radius from your home, and one giant farm to keep it that way.

Cross the state line from W. VA to PA, and you have no property tax on vehicles. Stock antique (25 years or older) and classic (15 years or older) have a one time registration fee, $75 the last time I paid one, sales tax of 6% when you register for license plate. Modified street rods with limited use also have preferred license options. Classic registration requires annual state inspection, antique does not. There is a common misunderstanding about driving antique registered vehicles at night. It's legal, but the vehicle lighting must meet minimum standards. Excluded vehicles would be 1930s type stuff. The value for sales tax assessment is basically an honors system.

Same issue as Fl with titles. If you don't have a clear title, forget about registering in PA.
And Pa is pretty friendly for retirement.

Thanks
First I read the title then your first post. Taxes? well, it sounds like more of a license fee. Call it what ever, it's a charge like pretty much every other state has. Here, we have a yearly registration fee for license plates. (a yearly sticker to update) My 66 costs $22 and my 70 is $51 as is my 2 96 Dakota Pick ups.

First I read the title then your first post. Taxes? well, it sounds like more of a license fee. Call it what ever, it's a charge like pretty much every other state has. Here, we have a yearly registration fee for license plates. (a yearly sticker to update) My 66 costs $22 and my 70 is $51 as is my 2 96 Dakota Pick ups.
Thanks, I reckon License fees are all part of the equation.. But I already have that cost where I am at. I probably should have put the heading as "the cost/tax of owning vehicles in what state". West Virginia is somewhat (to say the least) familiar to me although I have never lived there. I think about all states charge to register vehicles. Some have yearly inspections some do not, but this yearly Personal Property Tax on vehicles has me bugged. I did call the assessment office in WV today and just four of my modern vehicles are $920.00 a year and I have a few more vehicles but those were the ones of most value so I would probably say it would be easy to get to $1200.00 a year for everything in personal property taxes as it all adds up.

Auto Transport Service
Back