• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

radiator question!!

gremlinsteve

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
some one help me out. im experiancing a issue with cooling this 408 i am thinking this radiator i have has a issue with flowing coolant. so i am in the markey for a new one as it would prolly cost me about the same to recore this one.

any one know much about these aluminum radiators there selling nowadays. the ones on ebay?

made in china? made is the usa?

i would buy one now if i could find the american made ones.

steve

some one help me out. im experiancing a issue with cooling this 408 i am thinking this radiator i have has a issue with flowing coolant. so i am in the markey for a new one as it would prolly cost me about the same to recore this one.

any one know much about these aluminum radiators there selling nowadays. the ones on ebay?

made in china? made is the usa?

i would buy one now if i could find the american made ones.

steve

I originally had a dual core 22" radiator (stock) in my 383 roadrunner. No matter what I did, (180 degree thermo, new water pump etc...) the car would constantly run at around 220 degree with a fan shroud. When I pulled the tired numbers matching motor out and put it on the shelf in favor of a 496 stroker I switched to a 26" aluminum 4 core Champion radiator. (http://www.championradiators.com/)

The car runs consistantly at 185 degress now no matter what the temperature is outside. That is with the stock (non viscous) fan and no shroud and the same 180 degree thermo.

I will say this though. And I have seen other postings of people complaining about this, the radiator had about a 1/2" wrack/twist (upper left to lower right) to it when I received it. (others have complained about as much as 2 inches of twist out of the box!!! I guess this is what happens when you do so much welding on aluminum.) Some people I read about finally just gave up trying to make it work after several exchanges. The 1/2 twist in mine turned out to be a non-issue and it went in the car fine after having to drill 2 new holes on the passenger side to mount it.

I ordered the exact match for the 70 Roadrunner using thier site and the driver's side mount holes and the transmission cooler lines bolted right up with no alterations.

The only issue I had was (aside from the passenger side mounts) my original factory radiator had the upper and lower radiator hose connections on the drivers side of the car. (also contributing to bad cooling) The new radiator had the upper radiator hose connection on the passengers side. The easy solution there was to order the upper radiator hose for an A/C equipped 1970 Roadrunner. (mine was a non-a/c car)

Overall I am VERY pleased with this purchase and would recommend it. Just beware of the wracking/twisting issues I mentioned earlier.

Auto Transport Service
Back