• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant - AMD

Rick Hager

Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Installing a Upper and Lower Cowl from Auto Metal Direct

We found the left side is higher then the Door and Fender

It is physically higher. Thinking I could just cut it like I have to most of this China Sh%t I heard good things from AMD so I would reach out and see what they say

Quote - Just hammer it down! Really? and then he said its must off because the frame rail are not on the car yet? Really CLOWNS!!!!!

Im sure i still but more products from them but im sure going to rethink it!

This is the best they got for customer support???

Anybody had this??

IMG_3589.JPG IMG_3590.JPG IMG_3591.JPG

I haven't used their cowl but pretty much every other piece that I've used from them I've had to cut and modify in some fashion to get the fitment correct.

Have you bolted the hood on yet? Curious to see how well it fits all the way across.

All my AMD stuff fit perfect. Do you have the floor in the car still? If you have the frame rails and trans cross member out ?You may have some unibody twist. Are the doors gaps good? And do the doors still open and close nice?

Last edited:
all these parts are hit and miss....... I go into it expecting surgery......... half the time the stuff is pretty decent, I consider those times to be a bonus

I gotta ask - you recently joined this site and this is your first post.
Raises a question or two....

I guess having more metal to work with is better than being shorted. If you have a bright side to look for I guess thats it. I used AMD floor pans front to back but did not buy the full pan. Wish I would have, but they seemed to fit decent.

makes me wonder if the highly praised AMD install center hammers away on their cowls?
AMD will test your skills for sure
some of it should come with a warning sticker..

This is the best they got for customer support???

Anybody had this??
YES AND YES!

i had my go round with them a few years ago
i tried to return some parts that were pure junk
and they wouldn't accept them,told me they would fit just fine (FIRST LIE)
they just wanted me to give up and go away

i bitched hard online and a big vendor caught wind
and he got me a phone number to one of the big wigs..
after i told him my full story about their lame customer service
all he could do was apologize :asskiss:
they gave me a pile of free parts to make good on it (more then 2x what i wanted to return and i kept the junk parts i wanted to return also)
because they knew i caught them in more them one lie.

all i wanted to do was return unusable junk
and they turned that into a big cluster **** that cost them :bananaweed:

If I had to guess I guess that you cut the old cowl off without slapping the new one over it first. The new cowls seem to be a tad shorter on the ends and that's part of the reason for your big gap. I think a small portion of the old one has to be left in place to butt weld to - just guessing because I cut mine off first too!!

Mine fits pretty damn good though. Keep in mind that there is and awful lot of lead in that area - mine was 1/4 to 3/8 thick in places.

I see the glass more as half full......... I'm pretty happy just to have something to work with

my thing is
i can slice and dice with the best of them.
if i wanted to do that,i would have no need for AMD in the first place!

so i get pissed when i have to slice or add material to a NEW part :wtf:
that i paid top dollar for
moral of the story is
sometimes it is better to slice and dice in the first place
then to buy into the hype of something that is supposed to fit nice.

I'm numb to it.......and I can't slice and dice a giant hole........... lemons / lemonade

So, uh, did you try and hammer it down yet? Hahahaha!!

Every AMD part I used needed massaging, the dutchman panel being the worst. I used their trunk and tailpanel and fit on those was pretty good. Interior pan lip was bent wrong.

Was your old cowl too rusted?

I got a red x :) Thats awesome.
Remember these are opinions. Some people have better luck than others. Then again some people look for reasons to complain. I'm just glad they reproduce the sheet metal in any form. Whether that be too big or too small. Imagine pounding this **** out with a hammer and dollies.. Good luck with your AMD sheet metal. This was not a dig on the OP.

Everything I have bought from AMD has fit very well. Many times, a problem like yours is due to something else not being right. No offense intended, but if you are like me, maybe a professional should do the body panel work..............................MO

I got a red x :) Thats awesome.
Remember these are opinions. Some people have better luck than others. Then again some people look for reasons to complain. I'm just glad they reproduce the sheet metal in any form. Whether that be too big or too small. Imagine pounding this **** out with a hammer and dollies.. Good luck with your AMD sheet metal. This was not a dig on the OP.
Maybe my green agree cancels out the big red X. Who the hell is " pushrod"? didn't even make a post ........................MO

I was happy with all they sent me. (Rear quarter, inner fender, radiator Crowl, and rocker panels) for my 68 coroner.

They were fast and even caught a mistake on a part number I had written down. Gave me a great discount and a break on the shipping since I was a member of this forum.

Their parts are better then most. Had to get a fender for a charger three times as one had way to many dents, another one, the core support bracket was weld half *** crooked and the last one I had to cut off the tab for the rear rubber bump stop for the hood and relocated to the correct spot. The hood was ok. The parts I got from them for my road runner was nice. Few parts I got for a Coronet was ok. Hit and miss with them. But I’m sure some of you remember when paddock was around??? Holy cow, their parts needed serious work.

Auto Transport Service
Back