• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Bird sighting

SDCoronet

Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
I was headed toward the coast here in San Diego and spotted this desert species. First time I’ve ever seen one in the wild (and not in a car show).

2450EB05-66D4-4A8B-A667-CC7685128EEB.jpeg DA1757C2-569D-4308-AC09-3CA6DDBDB178.jpeg AB96C3FE-7373-424A-A661-5CE848D33287.jpeg

Looking for shelter away from the virus.

Taking advantage of no traffic on the roads! That's coming soon to a car 50' from my keyboard..

70 Satellite taillights. Makes you wonder about the rest of the car. Looks like no exhaust tips or if so Dodge square style.

Dang you guys are like Hawks going for a kill on that Bird.
No flies on any Superbird ! I will always pick things to death as a long time buyer. I think you would do same if buying. Not that it's for sale. Many on here often want opinions on possible purchases. It is nice to see one on the road. "You just don't see them anymore" was a common thing I heard at the Wing Car Reunion by the visitors.

I saw three of the Superbirds at the same time filling up at the Chevron Station I worked at right out of high school (circa 1974). This was in Chualar, California (population 300 at the time). The drivers were all Mexican field workers (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) and the birds were already looking a little worse for wear.

Back in 1971 my parents had special ordered a '71 Road Runner 383 auto and turned down an offer the salesman made to have them purchase a leftover Superbird on the lot instead.

The chrome exhaust "trumpets" (as Mother Mopar called them) were an option. Not every bird built had them. If not ordered or specified (or if your Superbird was a California emission car) then it got the standard exhaust pipes that turned down.

Auto Transport Service
Back