• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear leaf springs, best option

Crash520

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, have a 70 RR, That I want to drive hard on the street, it’s a 440/ 5sp. Due to road registered restrictions down here in the land of Oz, I pretty much have to stick with leaf springs, going to a set of super stock springs is also most probably out due to the long spring hangers required. So, out of the available leave springs, who has the hands down best for corner carving and hard straight line acceleration

Go and see King Springs on the Gold Coast. They will give you advice and make whatever you need.

I suggest you obtain or duplicate the Trac Pak (XHD) design. I'll PM you some dimensions to consider if you have a good local spring shop.

Go and see King Springs on the Gold Coast. They will give you advice and make whatever you need.
Thanks, could do however the car is in the US and needs them fitted over there. Appreciate the heads up

Can't you just bring it over, register it, and then change the springs as required?

No I need springs so I’m not going to waste money on springs to get it here I may as well get them there

My factory HD springs, with the extra ½ leaf on the passenger side were "tired" but I didn't know it until I started having bad traction problems at the track. I bent the spine of a Mancini pinion snubber, so I knew the springs must be wrapping themselves into a S on the launch. After "being sure" I was going to a triangulated RMS or Gerst 4 link, I decided to go with Calvert split mono leaf springs instead. I haven't driven the car yet, but I expect them to work very well on the street and upon hammer time at the track.

I put the Mopar performance XHD springs on the back of my 70 GTX. On advise from Rick Ehrenberg ages ago, I bought 2 of the right springs, which are the 7 leaf jobs, so they will be equal for handling. The car has a good look/stance, but sadly I haven’t really driven it but around the block. Terminal project you see
Travis..

I decided to go with Calvert split mono leaf springs instead. I haven't driven the car yet, but I expect them to work very well on the street and upon hammer time at the track.
UPDATE: My Roadrunner is out of the shop and I've put some couple hundred miles on it. Various roads and speeds. The Calvert split mono leaf springs are great. Now coming from badly worn HD factory leaf springs, and a stock suspension w/Viking front shocks to USCT subframe connectors, front and rear torque boxes welded in, a complete new QA1 front suspension and K-member and triple adjustable Viking Warrior Xtreme Street rear shocks added, there's quite a bit of change.
Since I'm breaking in a new dual disc clutch I haven't been to the track, and on the street the ride is less like a worn out boxsprings bed, but I like the ride.
The Calvert split mono leaf springs raised the rear about 2" and that looks so good to me it's an unexpected bonus.
Now:
20201018_094147.jpg

Before:
20191124_133109.jpg

UPDATE: My Roadrunner is out of the shop and I've put some couple hundred miles on it. Various roads and speeds. The Calvert split mono leaf springs are great. Now coming from badly worn HD factory leaf springs, and a stock suspension w/Viking front shocks to USCT subframe connectors, front and rear torque boxes welded in, a complete new QA1 front suspension and K-member and triple adjustable Viking Warrior Xtreme Street rear shocks added, there's quite a bit of change.
Since I'm breaking in a new dual disc clutch I haven't been to the track, and on the street the ride is less like a worn out boxsprings bed, but I like the ride.
The Calvert split mono leaf springs raised the rear about 2" and that looks so good to me it's an unexpected bonus.
Now:
View attachment 1016586
Before:
View attachment 1016588
Side view of before and after by chance? Did you fit sliders or keep original rear spring shackles?

Side view of before and after by chance? Did you fit sliders or keep original rear spring shackles?
I went w/Calvert brand sliders. They are a little more expensive than the Aftcos but I thought they were worth whatever difference I decerned at the time.
Side views: Look where the rear wheel rim falls in relation to the rear wheel opening.
Before:
20181003_162325.jpg

After:
20201002_143727.jpg

I like the 'before' pic better but only if the front end was lowered about an inch.....

I like the 'before' pic better but only if the front end was lowered about an inch.....
Thanks for the comment.
For me, the improvement in the rear view is dramatic, was unexpected, and I couldn't be happier with it.
I think both rear and side views w/the new Calvert split mono leaf springs accentuates the outward flare of the rear fenderwells

Picture is deceiving
I’ll try and get a better one without cell phone distortion

Auto Transport Service
Back