• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rent/Barrow a torsion bar removal tool.

wedge5

Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there had a torsion bar removal tool I could rent or barrow one.

I am going to put some smaller bars into my 65 Coronet. It most likely would be a tool that I would only use once so I figured it would be kinda a waste to buy one. Since I live in Bowtie/Mustang country no one around here has one. Tried AutoZone to see if they had one in their rent a tool but nothing!

We have Kragen here in the west..They do rent them...Try ebay or even PST sells them...Hey it,s a tool...It,ll be there the next time you need it!!Ebay has them for less than 100 bucks...
Petty Blue 67 gtx

I will have to keep looking around. I just may have to buy one.

If you have any other work to do to your front suspension, you can back off the nuts on the LCA's and give them a whack with a BFH. That will move the LCA and T-bar backwards, and will probably allow you to work the bar out.

Oh....I made a tool for it. Buy a set of curved-jaw vice grips, and grind the teeth out of them.

Two short pieces of pressure treated 2x4 with holes in each end with 1/2 inch bolts,nuts and big flat washers work and dont scar the bars. Just sandwich the bar between then and pound the crap out of the blocks. works and is cheap.

I will have to keep looking around. I just may have to buy one.

A trick I learned in 1964. Remove the rear bar retaining clip. Unhook the sway bar end links, unload the bar, unbolt the lower ball joint from the spindle, remove the strut rod nut and the lower control arm nut. Put the control arm nut about half way back on and strike with a hammer a couple of times. The and bar will go back. Turn the arm enough so the bar will not line up with the hex in the cross member. Then knock the control arm back forward, bars out. Beats breacking a bar because you scored it with vise gripes or a pipe wrench. Mancinie sells the tool cheap.

I use a handle bar stem I took off my sons BMX bike.It's like two blocks of aluminum held together with 4 allen bolts with a round hole where the handle bar passes through.It's high grade aluminum with the stem that goes into the forks acting as a handle when you strike the aluminum block.Works great,and yes he knows I have it.

All good ideas and advice.

Patrick: I will give that a try.

Coronet 500: That part is called a goose neck. I don't have any of them anymore but that is a good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back