• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing headers on 361 engine

skag101

Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Starter went out on my '63 Sport Fury so I get under to take it off only to find that it is caged in by the headers the previous owner installed. Absolutely no way to get it out unless removing the headers. So, I am in search of stock manifolds that will fit a 361 engine. I don't like the headers anyway.
My question is will manifolds from a 383 fit on a 361? I'm sure that this car didn't come with headers from the factory. Any ideas on where to look for the parts? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I have a set of log style exhaust manifolds. Would probably work. But you should go with a mini starter and keep the headers.. You wont have to re do your exhaust. If you put any kind of stock style exhaust manifolds on you will have to re do your manifold to exhaust pipes. I was asking 200.00 for these logs.. But Id take 100.00 plus shipping.
VONS9475.JPG

Here is the ad for my exhaust manifolds.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1965-413-exhaust-manifolds.192380/

383 or 440 manifolds will fit your engine.
68-69 HP manifolds are a good choice and somewhat available.
But yes you would need to replace your headpipes as well.

I have a set of log style exhaust manifolds. Would probably work. But you should go with a mini starter and keep the headers.. You wont have to re do your exhaust. If you put any kind of stock style exhaust manifolds on you will have to re do your manifold to exhaust pipes. I was asking 200.00 for these logs.. But Id take 100.00 plus shipping.View attachment 962875

Here is the ad for my exhaust manifolds.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1965-413-exhaust-manifolds.192380/
Thanks for the reply. i wouldn't care to keep the headers if I can get the old starter out. I still haven't figured that out yet. I have it loose but no way to get it from behind the headers. It would be a lot of work to change everything out plus I do not have a garage to work in so everything is outside and me crawling around on the ground. I will probably sell when I get things fixed. Too many vehicles and no place to work on them. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you in mind.

You likely have to unbolt the header as well.
I would remove the spark plugs first because you can crack the insulator when you start banging things around.
You may also need to remove the motor mount and jack the drivers side of the engine up.
Finally the steering linkeage may get in the way.
Headers are a major pain in a mopar.
Be patient I haven't worked on a 63 but others here may have some advice.
Different headers may require some or all of the above.
Good luck.

Headers aren't so bad but there has been plenty of not so nice words said over the years

You will have to drain the radiator & disconnect the battery
remove the motor mount bolt from both sides
You may have to remove the trans linkage and the mount stud it gives you a lot more room

Remove the plugs and then unbolt the headers

Put the front of the car up on jack stands
now raise the engine (a board under the oil pan & a jack work well)

With the front of the car up and the engine up you should have enough room to angle the back of the header down and pull it back

you won't have to remove the header, only lay it back and unbolt the starter
lay the starter in the crook of the headers and pull them down and back until you can remove the starter
then repair or replace the starter

A cheap way to get a mini starter with more power is use a starter from a Dodge Dakota

Its really pretty simple
Just take your time and don't get frustrated

Auto Transport Service
Back