• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RFP (Request for Pics) - Radiator support to k-member brace

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I've spent a while today trying to find decent pictures of an installed radiator support to
k-member brace to no avail - so I'm humbly asking for a little help here.
Does anyone happen to have a couple pics of one of these installed in a 66-70 b-body?

(Thanks to @Darter6 , I've actually got the brace now. Thanks again!)

If you can zoom in on pics this might help.

19832233-3D08-4EEE-AA5D-32F89CE96F3E.jpeg 99BF4A50-3B26-4444-ADDA-0A3F574F49DD.jpeg 4B5EC58C-C9C9-4D5F-B14F-02AA6D5ED0B4.jpeg 6155C332-EEAB-4BC4-ADD4-3FE6CBBA138C.jpeg 46691995-5BEB-4D37-A42E-67BA330571F7.jpeg

Ed did we get a new project?
Naw, just continuing the quest of making Fred a complete car again....11 years and counting!

When I did the sway bar mounts and such recently, it occurred to me that there was no brace
on the car - nor was there anything else up front like weatherstrip and hood seals or the splash
pan that belongs down there either.
He just never had any of this stuff when I got him all those years ago.

If you can zoom in on pics this might help.
Ed....Hope this helps....Jim
Wow, gentlemen. Excellent pictures, thanks so much!

I was under Fred with the brace @Darter6 sent me today and it became evident in a hurry what the
previous owner had done with the base of the grille support vertical - much butchery and welding
had occurred there, so that hole for the brace is gone and will need re-drilled.

You alls' pics now tell me which way the brace goes and routes in relation to the sway bar, too. :thumbsup:

EPILOGUE:
Found out why the car has no brace now.... oy.
Previous owner (the body/paint guy who replaced all the rusty panels and painted Fred that
pretty color) had all the front stuff together and painted as well - this is evident by things such
as the vertical grille brace and radiator support being painted on both sides.
One little problem with all that, though...the brace I'm trying to replace now isn't even close to
lining up on the bolt holes.
Why?
I was under there this evening and it quickly dawned on me once I got to studying on it....
turns out, the bottom of the core support is bent, quite severely so - a good inch and a half forward
of where it should be.
Given that everything is all painted and pretty (while being bent up), one conclusion was readily
reached:
That drunken bastard must have somehow lightly wrecked the finished car, like into a ditch or what
have you, enough to bend stuff up under there (including the sway bar mounts!).
Charlie was good at body/paint, but he did love his beer, too - and told stories of their having burnout
contests between the GTX and his own Road Runner many a night outside his house.
Doesn't take much to figure out what must have happened....

Best as I tried with a ratchet strap and other redneck accoutrements, I couldn't straighten it enough
to get the bolts in the thing - so this will be a winter project of stripping out the radiator, etc. and
having at it old school style.
Fred the GTX continues to be a laugh a minute. :)

Sorry to hear that Ed,got to love these cars. You just never know what you will find when you start looking. Sometimes I wounder about my Bee since a bunch of chevy guys built it to sell. :BangHead: They were close but no cigar on 70 only parts. :lol:

Sorry to hear that Ed,got to love these cars. You just never know what you will find when you start looking. Sometimes I wounder about my Bee since a bunch of chevy guys built it to sell. :BangHead: They were close but no cigar on 70 only parts. :lol:
Meh, if he was presented to me (or I had subsequently strived for) as pristine or restored, I'd be more upset.
As it is, Fred has always just been "a car" - and the focus has been on getting him to act like one again. :)
I'll yank the radiator one day soon, then have at it redneck style to straighten the support. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back