• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller rockers

Have a set of the early Iskys and several extras. I sold a set of new unopened ones last year or so....oh well. There's a guy on FABO with a set of new ones in the package for sale but they were a bit more than I was willing to pay.

How much?

The last 383 I built with max wedges using crane gold rockers, I found the intake pushrods touching the ports.. called crane and they said oh you need the max wedge ones... so they sent 8 .210 offset intake rockers ..
Pretty common as far as they were concerned
As far as I'm aware neither head had offset pushrods...

The last 383 I built with max wedges using crane gold rockers, I found the intake pushrods touching the ports.. called crane and they said oh you need the max wedge ones... so they sent 8 .210 offset intake rockers ..
Pretty common as far as they were concerned
That is exactly what I ran on my max, crane golds with a little offset.

I bought a set of new-never-used Iskys in the 80’s off of a local Mopar guy for $100. Rockers, adjusters, separator springs.
I already had a set of Crane iron rockers on my 440 at the time, but the price was right.
Fast forward about 15 years and I dig them out to use on my 383.
The bodies were much wider that the Cranes, which made the tip to valve alignment way off, plus the the space between the two rockers was greatly reduced, to the point where the separator springs wouldn’t fit between the rockers.
I used an old Crane rocker as a template for where/how much to whittle down the Isky’s.
They were pretty chunky too , compared to the Cranes, so they went on a diet.

It’s the only set of Isky’s I’ve put on anything, and don’t know if the width issue was because they were an early set or what.
They probably would have fit an early set of heads that used the aluminum bolt on stands, which as I recall are narrower than the stamped shaft hold down clamps of the later heads.

I bought a set of new-never-used Iskys in the 80’s off of a local Mopar guy for $100. Rockers, adjusters, separator springs.
I already had a set of Crane iron rockers on my 440 at the time, but the price was right.
The bodies were much wider that the Cranes, which made the tip to valve alignment way off, plus the the space between the two rockers was greatly reduced, to the point where the separator springs wouldn’t fit between the rockers.
I used an old Crane rocker as a template for where/how much to whittle down the Isky’s.

It’s the only set of Isky’s I’ve put on anything, and don’t know if the width issue was because they were an early set or what.
They probably would have fit an early set of heads that used the aluminum bolt on stands, which as I recall are narrower than the stamped shaft hold down clamps of the later heads.
I think you answered your own question. I think your too-wide isky's were for the older aluminum stand heads.

When I last priced a set of Crane iron rockers, which had to be 10 years ago or so, they were $499...... just the rockers, adjusters, separator springs.
No shafts, no hold downs.

I used something else.

Isky is no longer made. I'm not even sure Crane ductile iron are produced any longer. Two of us on here ordered sets between 2017 and 2018 and the tips wore fast. They were replaced eventually but I wouldn't run any of their newer ones. These were on flat tappet cams with about .530" lift.

I'm currently running the Hughes roller tipped rockers, solid body. They are beefy and have been perfect.
20180625_202902.jpg

Next question: will 273 adjustable rockers work on a big block? If not, why not?
No, they are straight vs. BB rockers which are offset...the BB valve tip is not directly in-line with it's lifter.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody is building ductile iron rockers anymore.

I think the process of fabricating iron, with its casting is no longer price effective vs the aluminium types of rockers that are pressed/forged.
The final machining still requires to be done on both types and would be similar in price for just that process.
These alloys with the current specifications were not available yet many years ago.

I've narrowed four sets of Isky's, never got a set that hadn't either already been narrowed or didn't need to be narrowed.... I have a jig to mount them on my lathe, easy job, I can do a whole set in 15 minutes...

I'm currently running the Hughes roller tipped rockers, solid body. They are beefy and have been perfect.

Did you select the cryogenically treated ones?
It says close to 600# is about the limit, yet the treatment gives 2-3 times more strength compared to non treated which seems to be beneficial even for say 400-500#....or would it be over kill?

The last set of “Isky” rockers I bought...... or should I say, tried to buy..... was probably about 20 years ago.
What I got was Crane rockers in an Isky box.

The last set of “Isky” rockers I bought...... or should I say, tried to buy..... was probably about 20 years ago.
What I got was Crane rockers in an Isky box.

Yup, Mopar & Isky both re-boxed Crane Ductile rockers.... Cranes are probably okay for normal use but they won't take the spring pressures the real Isky's will...

“Back in the day” Crane golds were only like $300.
I used those for most of the stuff that needed adjustable rockers.

They were an easy fit.
Almost never had to massage anything for the install.

No, they are straight vs. BB rockers which are offset...the BB valve tip is not directly in-line with it's lifter.
So, the way I read this is..... if I want to bad enough, it can be done. I would just need to machine the rockers narrower, maybe modify my aluminum stands, and machine some custom spacers. Piece of cake.

So, the way I read this is..... if I want to bad enough, it can be done. I would just need to machine the rockers narrower, maybe modify my aluminum stands, and machine some custom spacers. Piece of cake.

Well, then you need to deal with the pushrod interfering with the port...

Auto Transport Service
Back