• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SB 727 Valve body question

chtampa

Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
I have a SB 727 trans and ordering a shift kit. The convertor is Turbo Action and I want the kit to be also. They list 2 different ones and my valve body is not from the existing case. I pulled the pan and the filter only and there was a number 4202528 on the bottom of the valve body. How do I find out the year of the VB? The date wheel on the bottom had either a 86 or 98 in the center.

I have a SB 727 trans and ordering a shift kit. The convertor is Turbo Action and I want the kit to be also.

As far as I know, TA only offers "plate" kits, nowhere as good as the Transgo reprogramming kit.

Last edited:
Turbo Action did not have a kit for that valve body so I am taking a 1973 valve body out of another case. They had one for that VB and it is on the way.

I am not sure which 727 you have but I would not be surprised if you have one with a lockup torque converter. You can identify them by a tube on the top of the valve body..the valve bodies / transmission actually look similar but function differently. You can not put a non lockup valve body in the newer lockup tranny unless you replace most of the internals. I have done it before..but it goes way beyond a shift kit install.

The trans builder says it is a non lockup.

Good, I did finally find your part number you listed as 65-76 727. All the 727s valve bodies in that era should interchange so you should be fine.

as said above go with Transgo for the shift kit
at least call DAVE there first
he'll give you a straight answer either way

Auto Transport Service
Back