• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian

Provided you don't have random humans (or animals) working in the fields, or other vehicles that have drivers that may make rapid, unexpected movements.
It will find that muddy spot in the field and sink its self with no problem.

Tech has hurt and helped. Here is an example of how it has helped.
Thanks to magnetic tape, I no longer have to stop and turn my record over every 20 minutes.
Marantzben7700.jpg

Just saw on the news tonight that citizens of Denmark are considered the happiest persons in the world. I don't know by what "authority" that was determined, however. But now I wonder how they accept/reject "technology"?

I do know this much, the inhabitants of North Sentinel Island have rejected all contact with modern society and actually will kill any outsiders trespassing on their "homeland":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

There are less people in Denmark than Northern California. That'll make you happy right there.

I have been hearing the reports that the Uber car was not at fault because this woman was walking outside of a marked crosswalk. So they are only required to avoid pedestrians at marked crosswalks? Ever seen a kid dart out into the street while chasing a basketball? Do deer and other animals use crosswalks? And we don't have marked crosswalks out here in the rural area anyway.
And I am sure that the "safety drivers" are bound to get bored and sleepy or distracted after hours of sitting behind the wheel with nothing to do. Think about the train wrecks that have happened recently........
This technology is way too dangerous for my liking!

They've gad GPS driving tractors for a couple decades.
In that environment, they are outstanding.
They can even fine tune the crop patterns to maximize efficiency.

...and I've used tape "robots" to change out magnetic data backup tapes.

In fact, Nakamichi had an audio tape robot for cassettes back in the 80's.

Apparently there are also thousands of traffic deaths each year by human piloted cars as well, but that article didn't touch on them.

Lately I have been thinking about how "Common Sense" seems to have fallen out of favor in so many instances.
Also, if a change from the norm is to be made, should it not be something that actually corrects an actual flaw or makes things better?
I've worked with guys in construction that must lack common sense. They do things the hard way or do things that make it harder for the next guy to do their job. Why?? People should consider how their actions affect others.
A smart boss drilled into the workers to always be as efficient as possible. If you step away to take a piss, think about what tools or brackets you might need later and bring them back to the building when you return. He told us to ask others if they needed something if we did not. He also asked us to NOT do things that would make it harder on the next guy. It was not only efficient, it was considerate to others.
The self driving cars just seem stupid to me. I am extremely biased against this and have only met ONE person that seemed to like the idea. The man claimed that it would allow him to sleep during the morning commute...GREAT, lets inconvenience and endanger every other car on the road with this stupid technology so this jerkoff can get more sleep?

Pedestrian crossing outside the crosswalk. Hard to fault the autonomous car or 'safety driver' at that point.
I read that NTSB stats show 80 percent of all pedestrian deaths from cars/trucks are related to pedestrian error, not the driver.

I read that NTSB stats show 80 percent of all pedestrian deaths from cars/trucks are related to pedestrian error, not the driver.

I'd believe it, too! Just in the last 2 years I've had to slam on the brakes to avoid running someone over four different times, and I probably drive far fewer miles than average. I'm sure the smartphone epidemic hasn't improved those stats, either.

Just saw the inside/exterior video from the Uber car when it hit and killed that women. The Uber driver was clearly looking down texting or something. The driver was a convicted felon under ANOTHER name. It now looks like this guy is in "Post Op" and will be Tranny soon so "It" will be protected....

Just saw the inside/exterior video from the Uber car when it hit and killed that women. The Uber driver was clearly looking down texting or something. The driver was a convicted felon under ANOTHER name. It now looks like this guy is in "Post Op" and will be Tranny soon so "It" will be protected....

The Uber-"driver"-was not driving?? What's up with this? Why is this guy even in the car?

The Uber-"driver"-was not driving?? What's up with this? Why we this guy even in the car?

No the "Uber driver" wasn't driving. The car was in Autonomous mode. It was there in case something went wrong but It failed to do it's job resulting in hitting her...

No the "Uber driver" wasn't driving. The car was in Autonomous mode. It was there in case something went wrong but It failed to do it's job resulting in hitting her...

Ok, I get it. The "non driver" (while in autonomous mode) should have been completely in control of the car at all times just in case something goes wrong.
Hmm--that's kinda like what I do when I drive a car.:realcrazy: And what pilots and co-pilots do when we fly.

This "driver" by not paying proper attention-(like being on the phone for example) seems like what we already have. Where is the advantage of the "autonomous" part of this picture in this case?

We have a car wreck that killed someone. The "driver" turned on autopilot -so to speak- Did the "autopilot" cause the death?

Last edited:
We all are familiar with cruise control. It's not for everyone in every place.
IMO autonomous control is much like cruise control. If a driver is indeed in the car and wants to regain control it has to happen in a fraction of a sec. The idea of fighting with the car for control is disturbing.
Imagine a pilot asking please from the plane. Let me drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back