• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shorty headers or HP manifolds ?

It's either those or these....

20220723_144259.jpg

20220723_144308.jpg

I was once interested in the TTI shorties. About a year ago I called them. I kinda got the feeling the didn’t work very well on short deck motors.

Plug access is much better than with my stock manifolds. This pic is just starting to mock them up, I'll share once it's all finalized.

IMG-0877.jpg

I would probably go with those shorty headers. With you on the plug access with the HP manifolds.
You sure do not want to try and change pugs while the engine is hot - blister city.
Even if they are total crap in the flow department they are very likely to out flow the HP manifolds.
Slim to none they flow worse than the HP lump of cast iron - not to mention the heat back in to the engine through them being so close to the valve covers.
My valve covers on the passengers side got the paint baked off by the hot exhaust manifold.

Hey racerx, when you get a chance, would like to see pic of the other side of those Hedmans mocked up with the plug wires like you did on driver's. thanks, John

Hey racerx, when you get a chance, would like to see pic of the other side of those Hedmans mocked up with the plug wires like you did on driver's. thanks, John
Not 100% final but here is the requested pic.

IMG-0913.jpg

Headman’s are lousy quality. I fellow club member had the small block ones in a 71 B-body. He had the re-welded up twice. The output flange angle is goofy too. So yours going to pay someone to make a head pipe or possibly cut the collector flange and reposition it. With the labor cost nowadays, TTI prebent can significantly be cheaper.

The head and collector flanges are very thin too.

I’d run stock HP’s over the headman.

Schumacher tri-Y's are nice too if you're not going to run a long tube header. Super thick flanges and well made. They offer ceramic coating as well, which is what I'm running in my 451. I was running HP manifolds before. The Schumachers may have added some measurable HP and torque, but I honestly couldn't tell by seat of pants feel. They also didn't have as deep an exhaust note as the HP manifolds (since they're headers), but spark plug access and weight reduction is improved.

Here's the final wire routing for the passenger side, last holder installed. Will get pics with the header when it's final assembeld.

IMG-0914.jpg

Last edited:
Pic inside the car. Only had issues with fitment on the passenger side, the #2 tube was interfering with the shock tower. Had to ding it pretty good to clear but it's in.

IMG-0130.jpg

Thanks, rebuilt 440 is all buttoned up. I am really pleased with how these headers look aesthetically vs my TTI's I had on my Dart. TTI's look awesome but I like how these are tucked up and subtle.

IMG-0137.jpg

The wire routing, lack of clutter and color combo looks bitchin'. Dang, you've inspired me. I thought mine was half decent, but in reality, mine is like a dirty sink full of dishes compared to that!

So, you went with the shorty headers? On this, what is it, a 440? I'm worried that mine won't clear the shock towers with the 440 in my 67 Coronet.

20210630_102507.jpg

newly restored valve cover in VHT High Temp wrinkle black - Copy.jpg

So, you went with the shorty headers? On this, what is it, a 440? I'm worried that mine won't clear the shock towers with the 440 in my 67 Coronet.

View attachment 1356039

View attachment 1356040
Yes I used the Hedman shorties, I had shock tower issues on the #2 tube and had to dent it pretty good. It was frustrating b/c the tube has plenty of room to be bent back towards the engine more to clear. It's what you deal with on these "one header fits all".

Auto Transport Service
Back