• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single field wiring

ChryslerKid

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Having charging issues with my single field setup. I used to have to run a ground wire from the voltage regulator to the ( - )on the batt just to get it to ground now it wont charge at all. My question is, what is the most basic way i can wire the charging system not including the ammeter. I have single field alternators and regulators and the later dual field alts and regulators i dont mind either way just need this thing to charge again.

What year car? A later dual field can be used by grounding one of the fields. Nacho should be here with a well-versed answer shortly....

65 chrysler 300 but its been converted to electronic ignition
Do you have the electronic VR? They make a look- a -like for the mechanical OEM. It is supposed to provide a "cleaner" power supply for the ECM. I converted my 65 Coronet to dual field using a later model VR and it works great now. Make sure you have a clean engine to firewall ground strap.
Mike

Not concerned with originality i have the three pin vr i can use with a later model dual field alt. Battery to block/block to firewall groundstraps are relatively new and grounded nicely. Vr is grounded well even ran an additional 12 ga wire from vr ground to negative on battery to diagnose. Still..... No charging. Cant get that alternator excited.

Do you have power from ign switch to reg
if yes do you have power going to alt from reg

Did you do a full field test to check alternator output?
Mike

Well i assumed it was wiring because i pulled and tore down the motor, then rewired everything from the firewall on. By full field test im guessing you mean giving the field an unregulated 12v. Just tried that still wont charge could the alt have just stopped working from sitting a few months?

Is the other brush grounded to the case or do you need to ground it to body to complete the circuit

I was under the impression that a single field alt is grounded internally. Even ran a wire from the mounting stud to the ground cable because i painted the alt brackets that i made. Trying to wire a 60's alternator and i I feel like a monkey trying to work a computer.

15955618303066288935237942099823.jpg

Well.. Just had it bench tested at orileys. I give him the make/model .kid there says it failed its running at 27 volts. He tells me the regulator is bad. I tell him its externally regulated so 27v would be unregulated voltage wouldnt that mean its working. I thought unregulated it might run at 16 so im still uncertain. Is this a pass or a fail?

No load full field it will go high
Also he does not know what he is doing
Have some one else test

I was under the impression that a single field alt is grounded internally. Even ran a wire from the mounting stud to the ground cable because i painted the alt brackets that i made. Trying to wire a 60's alternator and i I feel like a monkey trying to work a computer.

View attachment 979046

It is grounded through the mounting screw only if the brush holder is not one to insulate brush

Auto Transport Service
Back