• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skip White HEI install help

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Well, my experiment with the Orange box / electronic ignition hasn't worked out so well. We've got the car running, but I cannot seem to set the timing for love nor money. I'm currently left with two options. One reinstall the original points ignition. I would probably just do a rebuild of the distributor. Or I have a skip White HEI distributor however when I sent it out to a mechanic friend I apparently did not get the installation instructions back. Skip whites website does not have them. And I don't want to wait until next week to hear back. Anybody have the installation instructions, or can they give me some advice? This is the one I have (see picture)
I expect to pick up some 8.5 wires tomorrow.

What about a Pertronix adaptor for your orig distributor?

Skip White's HEI works the same as Bill White's.......or any other brand of HEI.
[1] It needs the full 12v, & it connects the 'Bat' terminal on the dist cap.
[2] You need to get #1 cyl on the compression stroke.
[3] If you have a BB, you can check this by watching p'rod movement as you rotate the crank by looking through the dist hole. Once the intake prod starts to move downwards & it stops moving, stop there. Go to the crank pulley & continue rotating until the timing mark is at 15* BTDC
[4] If you have a SB, remove the left valve cover & repeat [3].
[5] HEI is now ready for install, but remove rotor first. Rotation of dist shaft of SB is CW, CCW for BB.
[6] Once HEI is seated, rotate the body so that the reluctor teeth are just veeeeeeeeery slightly past the centre of the pole piece, going in the direction in [5]. Rotor removal is done to make this easier to see. Now fit rotor & cap. #1 cyl will be where the rotor is pointing.
[7] Ready to fire up & final adjustment of initial timing can be made.

I'm a little confused. The post says " could not set the timing". Regardless of MSD, HEI, Orange box etc.... timing is timing. Now, if it's having a problem running, that's another story. But 10° is 10°.

It's a 318. And yes it should be 10°. But it was not happy, that's why I think there is an issue somewhere with the electronic ignition conversion set. I got it second hand. Thank you Geoff 2, that is what I was looking for. The only other thing I could have asked for we ould be pictures or a diagram LoL. I think that will help tremendously.

IMG_20220827_213204_01.jpg

My 340 has an HEI style distributor in it. It was in there when I got it. One nice thing when I saw it—- every parts store across the country will have the ignition module in stock for it.

If your timing is jumping around check distributor shaft for wear.

If your timing is jumping around check distributor shaft for wear.
Yes along with
Timing chain
Oil pump shaft/bushing
Mech adv springs/weights
Rotor slop

I would peel all that wiring apart and make it good.

Auto Transport Service
Back