• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, what do us "Gray-Beards" listen to?

scotts74birds

Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering what the folks of my age are listening to these days. I'm a biker, and a Mopar man, and still living life hard. In the day, Judas Priest and Metallica were the world to me. Still are, but some of the new stuff is good also. Being late 40's, I like Avenged Sevenfold, and Five Finger Death Punch! But I have to admit I listen to alot more of talk radio, and NPR than I used to.
What are some of the other guys from my generation listening to?

560 KSFO (Dr.Savage) and richbroradio.com.

I take it Michigan thumb is the UP. Is that Bar called The Sidetrack still there? I was there in the 80's on a cool MC trip. Good Pizza.

If I had one it would be gray.

Gandalf_the_Grey_by_allendouglasstudio[1].jpg Radio what the hell is a radio

Sorry, the Thumb, is the thumb of the mitt. The U.P (Upper Peninsula) was given to Michigan as a consolation-prize from the early federal government for conceding the "Toledo-Strip" to Ohio during the Michigan-Ohio War of the early 1800's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War Looking back, we won.:icon_fU:

I'm 53, no beard just a long mustache. No gray either. I like AC/DC, aerosmith. Meatloaf, etc.... I do like the older country singers too.

At 50 I'm still stuck on my favorites. ZZ Top, Scorpions, Hendrix, Beatles, Iron Maiden, Outlaws, AC/DC, Rush, Van Halen, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot, Black Sabbath, Moody Blues, and a whole bunch of others - but you get the idea. That's my IPOD. When listening to the radio, I often have sports radio on.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, the Thumb, is the thumb of the mitt. The U.P (Upper Peninsula) was given to Michigan as a consolation-prize from the early federal government for conceding the "Toledo-Strip" to Ohio during the Michigan-Ohio War of the early 1800's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War Looking back, we won.:icon_fU:

The UP is sort of North Wisconsin. :toothy10:

Old stuff:
KISS
ZZ Top
Lynrd Skynrd
Tesla
Metallica
Johnny cash
Waylon Jennings
SRV
Elvis
Cinderella
April Wine
ELO
Fleetwood Mac
Molly Hatchet
George Thorogood
Motley Crue

New stuff:
Theory of a Deadman
Halestorm
Jason Aldean
Miranda Lambert
Shinedown
Stone Sour
Three Days Grace
Avenged Sevenfold

At 50 I'm still stuck on my favorites. ZZ Top, Scorpions, Hendrix, Beatles, Iron Maiden, Outlaws, AC/DC, Rush, Van Halen, Allman Brothers, Blackfoot, Black Sabbath, Moody Blues, and a whole bunch of others - but you get the idea. That's my IPOD. When listening to the radio, I often have sports radio on.

- - - Updated - - -

The UP is sort of North Wisconsin. :toothy10:
Memory jog: Does Iron Mountain sound familiar?

Wellll I reckon AC-DC ZZ Top and some Aerosmith would do nicely!
Picture2016220Small_zps92318992.jpg

[video=youtube;arpZ3fCwDEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpZ3fCwDEw[/video]

Ok, Forgot some! ;)

Just wondering what the folks of my age are listening to these days. I'm a biker, and a Mopar man, and still living life hard. In the day, Judas Priest and Metallica were the world to me. Still are, but some of the new stuff is good also. Being late 40's, I like Avenged Sevenfold, and Five Finger Death Punch! But I have to admit I listen to alot more of talk radio, and NPR than I used to.
What are some of the other guys from my generation listening to?
I'm also a gray bearded 54 yr old biker/Hot Rodder. I loves my metal ....Metallica, Megadeath,Godsmack,Disturbed etc. Where are you in the Thumb Scott? I have family in Cass City and Almont.

Agreed ! ! ! ( smile ) I'm a Michigander myself . . .

Old stuff:
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, REO Speedwagon, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Robin Trower, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, 38 Special, Boston, Heart, Bad Company, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Bob Seeger, Eric Clapton, Rush, Foreigner, Foghat, Pink Floyd, ELO, Creedence Clearwater, Rush, Jeff Beck, Journey, Kansas, Jim Croce

Updated: How could I forget, growing up near Detroit, Any and All Motown ! !

New Stuff:
Evanescence, Breaking Benjamin, 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Hinder, Theory of a Deadman, Halestorm, Stone Sour, Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Linkin Park, Nickleback, Staind

Last edited:
At 58 growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. For the old stuff, Doors, Animals, Buckinghams, Shadows of Knight, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ramones, any garage or surf type music. As for the newer stuff, Tiger Army, Mad Caddies, Goldfinger, The Strokes, or anything with a good beat that I can dance to. LOL!! Just a little kudo to American Bandstand.

58 in 3 days. Yes my beard is Gray, top rotation is
New er bands
Empires, Indie band from Chicago have seen these guys 5 times and they know me on sight now
Metric, have tickets for House of Blues in Cleveland this month. seen x1 already
Fall Out Boy last month seen x4
My Chemical Romance seen x2
Fun seen x1 in a bar 1 yr before the Grammy's
Stars seen x1
Black Keys

New ish bands
Foo Fighters
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Monty Montgomery seen x1
California Guitar Trio saw them few weeks ago
Walter Trout seen x3
Brand X seen x2
Joe Bonamassa seen x3
ChickenFoot
Liquid Tension

Classic music for the ages

John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Miles Davis seen x1
Tommy Dorsey
Benny Goodman
Glen Miller
Strauss
Beethoven
Ravel
Bach
Tchaikovsky
Copland

I have played them all in the last 3 months

Classic rock with a little mix of the hard stuff.
Eagles to metallica...80' s rock and hair bands:headbang:

Anything you would hear on "Deep Tracks" "Spectrum" "1st Wave" "Classic Vinyl" and "Alt Nation" as well as the "decades" channels on Sirius/XM satellite radio. That is easier than listing all the band names

Mostly stuff covering the 60s from the early pop and folk music to the later 60s rock and into the early 70s. After the mid 70s very little ever appealed to me. I also like the older country, and even some through the 90s but a lot of the new "country" has gotten absolutely disgusting.

At 58 growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. For the old stuff, Doors, Animals, Buckinghams, Shadows of Knight, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ramones, any garage or surf type music. As for the newer stuff, Tiger Army, Mad Caddies, Goldfinger, The Strokes, or anything with a good beat that I can dance to. LOL!! Just a little kudo to American Bandstand.

Sitting in a coffee shop with a friend and wondering awhile back, considering 20 years ago we would have be hovering over a pool table,,,, thinking which is worse, getting wise-er or getting older.. ill be 58 next month and still fight the growing up part! :)

Born & raised a sunny Calif. Boy, long for the days or yore, when Calif. was the greatest state in the nation... I was born 7-12-59, graduated HS in 1977, College in 1981, I'm 54 y/o now, my eclectic music tastes are mostly stuck in the 60's & 70s... When music was great, you could understand the lyrics/words, it had a beat you could dance to, just tap you toes to or even sing along {I couldn't carry a tune in a bag, by the way} & relate to it... Just about any Motown & Beach Boys or Surf music in general are my favorites, but I like many types of music & listen to a large variety, mostly rock & roll, some select country, some classical, some oldies but goodies, The soundtrack to American Graffiti, is a great example of what I listen to when working on my car, when driving it, I put in AC/DC or Creedence Clearwater Revival or Ted Nugent or Molly Hatchet or Lynyrd Skynyrd to start the drive, something with teeth & a hard beat, then mellow some as I drive on... www.youtube.com/?v=QOgqUHk-zDY www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smDXr13EJE

- - - Updated - - -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgqUHk-zDY

Auto Transport Service
Back