• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

solid lifter 392 hemi rev limit (early hemi )

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
I replied in a different thread about gears available in a 300C, and i started wondering what the factory red line was for a solid lifter 354/392. Also, as long as I'm asking, how hard did they spin them in gassers and fuellers before gen 2s .

Good question, I would like to know that too! I'm thinking they would have be good to at least 6000 RPM. Maybe 7 K? Chrysler always built their motors and cars on the heavy duty side.

I'm not sure of the factory redline, but I just sold a model a ford with a 354 solid lifter motor and 4 speed. I regularly spun it 6500 with no problems. stock crank and rods, good rod bolts, egge 10-1 pistons, and adjustable push rods

here's a couple pics

1930 ford.jpg hemi.jpg

Thanks Crider. Modern cam and springs? I think even the stock stuff might have been good for 5500-5800 but that's just a guess.

Modern springs, New old Isky cam
Thanks Crider. Modern cam and springs? I think even the stock stuff might have been good for 5500-5800 but that's just a guess.
isky

Isky FT catalog grinds- gentle enough to last and live if you miss a shift- rev really well
may not make as much torque as a modern grind but few comebacks
sold a bunch of them

I asked the guys with the yeakel bros Plymouth fueler (early 60's front motor ) about what their shift point was. (Winternationals). Driver said somewhere around 6200, he said he thought the AA/GS guys pulled around 6 grand. But back then he said he had1100 hp, now his cackle car has 2000 with the same engine.

Remember valve springs were not nearly as good back then
we tried "mousetrap" springs on the rocker arms plus a rev kit
392 heads even ported pre flow bench were all done by 6500
354 heads were better
used to take our heads, carbs, cam, headers and stick them on a stock block and tip the can

Oh, i agree! Advancements in valvetrain tech has probably helped gen 1 and 2 hemi as much as any engine out there, with the possible exception of the big block chevy.

Auto Transport Service
Back