• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sonoma Raceway Fatality

Canyon707

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
Sad to say we lost a racer opening night at Sonoma Raceway. The driver had some type of brake issue and turned into the wall at 115 mph. I didn't go last night and I have yet to see his name posted. Sad day for racers and family.

Sad to say we lost a racer opening night at Sonoma Raceway. The driver had some type of brake issue and turned into the wall at 115 mph. I didn't go last night and I have yet to see his name posted. Sad day for racers and family.
That's sad...

My deepest heartfelt condolences goes out to his
family, friends & crew, the track too,
nobody likes or should have to deal with a tragedy/accident like that...

The San Jose Mercury New Identified him as 75 y/o Kenneth Rambo
from Napa Ca.
the article I read, also said 1st such incident in 30 years there...
Pretty damn good track record...

RIP Ken

Not a thing wrong with 75 as far as I am concerned. I am not sure of the car but, I think if it was going 115mph he was in comp rod. That is a quick class for the Wednesday Night Racers. I dont have much info yet. I don't think he was in the beginner class.

Sad story. The slower classes don't require helmets, maybe we should all put one on our heads anyway. The article is wrong stating drivers must wear a helmet and neck brace, my stepbrat and I raced one another a couple of times without helmets. One article described the victim's safety provisions:

“This particular participant had a full roll cage. He had all the proper harnesses, proper helmets, and all the safety gear appropriate for his class,” Starks said. “I think our safety record speaks for itself. It is a tragic, tragic accident and we’re grieved by it.”

Last edited:
I know several racers in their 70's that show up at Nightfire in Boise, every year and they are very good racers. Double zero lights are common place as well. WE all accept the risk and sign the waver sheet, however it is never easy when someone loses their life.
Prayers for him, his family and friends.
Bob :moparsmiley:

Well sad he lost his life but at least he went out loving what he did

I know plenty of racers in their 70's that are very good. I also know plenty in there 40's that are not. Age itself is not the issue here, neither is the fact that it was a Pinto. I pray for this racer and his family.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back