• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel deck car trailer

tak419

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
Need pics and opinions good or bad on your choice of steel deck car trailer. I'm looking to either buy or build a steel deck trailer and need opinions on different brands, how they haul such as are they loaded too tongue heavy or good or bad ramp features, tilt trailers ease of use or whatever you want to contribute to the conversation. Also to mention before I get a backlash of "don't build a trailer" our shop has a certified welder and fab man, he knows about how to weld, what type and size steel to use cause he fabs a lot for our business that has to be OSHA and DOT safe. I've done an internet search on different trailers and want to see what you all have and like or don't like. Also because it's gonna have a Mopar on it it has to look good, hense why I'l like to see pics. Thanks all. !

I have a 2015 Apache, 18 foot steel deck, electric brakes, 4 foot ramps. (If you build your own, make sure you put the ramp storage racks facing the rear, mine is side storage, this sometimes causes problems if I pull up to unload and there is not enough side clearance to pull the ramps out). If I had to do it over again I would buy an aluminium tilt trailer. Here's a pic of mine.....
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG

I have an 2004 Bri Mar 18 foot steel deck, with a dove tail and rear storage pull out ramps. I added the winch.
Axels are rated at 3500 lbs. each.
Going on 14 years of towing with out a glitch.
kl2RKtl.jpg

Attachments

• hX38e8B.jpg
    hX38e8B.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thanks FWI this is the kind of input that's helpful. Guess I never thought about the side storage ramp being an issue. I've been throwing around the idea of building a tilt deck or possibly a stationary deck that has the capability to slide forward or back maybe a foot or so from center. We haul 5 and 6 tone equipment trailers at work on a daily basis with either mini excavators or whatever on them and at times it would be nice to get a little of the tongue weight off and the size or shape of load only allows it to go on trailer one way. Just a thought.

2003 Appalachian electric brakes 18' rear hd ramps. hauls straight and tru.
SLTV4106.jpg

I've built a number of trailers. DON'T build a trailer !! All kidding aside, its not just a matter of welding steel together - hell, that's the EASY part. Its all the other **** ... axles, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, lights, wiring and THEN giving everything a real good coat of paint.

Leave it to the guys who have the jigs, paint booth, etc. and know where to put the axles so the thing is properly balance and tows well.

I had an 18' Appalachian full deck trailer for 12 years. Towed well and gave me no issues other than the paint falling off, which seems to happen to ALL car trailers in that price range.

After my '57 got the mufflers hung up on it, I decided it was time to get a tilt trailer. I looked at aluminum, but no one makes one with power tilt and they tell me it's because the deck wouldn't take the stress of the cylinder mount point. Of course you could reinforce it (and have dual pistons, which was my plan) but then that's added weight and expense.

In the end I bought a Bri-Mar 20' steel, power tilt deck trailer w/ a remote control. Cool as **** sitting in the car, push the button, the trailer tilts and you drive off. They are made in Chambersburg, PA and you can pick it up at the factory if you like.
http://www.bri-mar.com/trailers/cht20-10-car-hauler/

I've built a number of trailers. DON'T build a trailer !! All kidding aside, its not just a matter of welding steel together - hell, that's the EASY part. Its all the other **** ... axles, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, lights, wiring and THEN giving everything a real good coat of paint.

Leave it to the guys who have the jigs, paint booth, etc. and know where to put the axles so the thing is properly balance and tows well.
Thanks for the concern but I have access to dozens of trailers for where to place axles and we have a complete metal fab shop and 2 paint booths where I work and I've painted many cars so trailer paint should be easy lol. My issue is time.

Last edited:
I had a 16' Bri-Mar and now have a 18' Big Tex 70D. Both trailers tow well. The Big Tex trailer came with chrome wheels and a spare tire mount. Ramps are solid diamond plate, not the ladder type.
36067271204_3f01288b14_o.jpg

Another Bri Mar owner here. 18 foot steel deck with a 4 foot beaver tail. Mine came powder coated. I'd probably do paint next time as PC tends to peel easily.

They're more expensive than other similarly built trailers, but all the parts are U.S. sourced except for the Ching Chong Wing Wong tires. I'd have no qualms about buying another from them.

I had a 16' Bri-Mar and now have a 18' Big Tex 70D. Both trailers tow well. The Big Tex trailer came with chrome wheels and a spare tire mount. Ramps are solid diamond plate, not the ladder type.
View attachment 549817
Was the spare mounted on the side like that ? I like that.

Prior to the 18 foot I had a 16 foot Big Tex trailer, it was very well built but did not have the all important dove tail (it was a trade deal I could not refuse). You can see how tight my car sat on it, besides being a real pain to load and unload...I had to use risers under the 4 foot ramps to lessen the grade!
003 (10).JPG

I had a 18 foot Big Tex and loved it. As posted above cam stock with chrome wheels, brakes, powder coated and slide out ramps. Sold it for what I paid for it after two years of use. It was nice.

My opinion unless you have the time and skill building your own trailer is not a great idea. Ive repaired/modified trailers of all types/low boys/flatbeds, so many i couldnt count. I could not build a car trailer cheaper then what some of you guys have here. Plus these trailers are designed by engineers. What ever i do is always overkill, with translates into more weight. I have seen many trailers that were made cheaply using the lightest possible steel possible so buy American and buy quality

Auto Transport Service
Back