• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

subframe connectors install

69clone

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was mocking up my bolt on subframe connectors and from the instructions that came with them it said to raise the car off the ground so the car is leveled, or something along those lines, and I was just wondering would that be much different from installing it on the ground? I understand they don't want you to raise just the side you are working on and cause a permanent twist. If I do need to raise the car whats the best places to raise it? If I understood the instructions correctly it said to put stands under the rear end but then it said the rear suspension should hang free...

on the front and rear frame sections.out of the way of were you are gonna be working.try to do it on level ground as well.4 jack stands needed.you are tying the front to the rear,so very important it is strait and level as possible.

Get the car level using a water level made from a piece of clear hose 15 feet long. Fill with water, tie the hose to one corner and hold the hose on each corner. When the water stops bouncing around that is level. Mark the location. Now do the same at the top of each jackstand. Compare notes. You will shim the jack stands, once all four are level with shims then the body is level. Now you can prep your frame connectors. make sure frame connectors are paralelle to inner rocker panel, if not keep adjusting until they are within 1/32 of an inch, tack weld them in and recheck the level using a standard level on bottom of frame connectors.

From what I've read you want the car sitting on the tires under full weight so that the car is stressed like it will be while driving. If it were me I'd get some blocks (all even height) and sit the tires down on them on level ground and install them. That's just me but it makes sense to do it with the car sitting the way it naturally will be.

I have heard that also and that on some cars after the connectors are in the doors might not open and shut correctly if weight is not fully on it. However, the shop that welded mine in which only got welded at each end, was done on the lift with only the frame supported and my car turned out fine, so I guess it all depends...

Level front to rear and side to side. Use metal shims if ya have to to get it right, if using jackstands. The absolute best way is a drive on lift (think front end alignment type lift) and burn them in.

if you read the original post he said "bolt on connectors",so no need for perfection here since they have a bit of movement allowed anyhow.

I supported mine at the framerails. The rear I supported at the front of the leaf spring perch. The front of the car I supported on the framerail closest to the front of the car as possible.Basically close to where the firewall begins. I used US Car/Tool connectors.

Thanks guys, Yes they are bolt on but eventually I'll weld them on. The reason I was wondering about putting them on while the car was sitting on the ground was because what I have gathered from the internet some people complained of door alignment off and such. Everything has gradually sagged over the last 44 years thanks to gravity and the sudden unsagging in the middle could throw everything off?

unless you building the car & then adding the sub-frame connectors & then installing the doors... I have always done them before the car was built, before doors are hung, using a frame plate or chassis jig, taking care to make sure the car is completely straight, square & flat... after you install them even the bolt on type the car will stay where you bolted them on & the frame will settle a slight bit, but make damn sure the doors open & close right, "before you start to drill & install after the car is jacked up", or you will have issues... but if the car is complete & your installing them now after the doors are hung & gapped properly, have the car sitting on jack stands under the front & rear suspensions or on blocks under the tires, close to level as possible, then mark, drill & install the sub-frame connectors, so it won't mess up the body alignments you have already....

Thanks Budnick, my dad and I started drilling tonight, we marked all the holes while the car was sitting in the driveway then jacked it up to drill them. Hopefully we will have them mounted tomorrow. Surprisingly they mocked up really well other than a slight massaging on the rear passenger side floor. So +1 for Competition Engineering.

Thanks Budnick, my dad and I started drilling tonight, we marked all the holes while the car was sitting in the driveway then jacked it up to drill them. Hopefully we will have them mounted tomorrow. Surprisingly they mocked up really well other than a slight massaging on the rear passenger side floor. So +1 for Competition Engineering.

your welcome...

I did my Satellite frame connectors...home made ones while it was on the rotisserie, and, doors hang nicely, no issues. If its supported correctly, you're good to go.

Support the car and make sure the doors open and shut well while it's up in the air. If they work well while up and supported. They will work well afterward.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back