• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surface rust removal

Monkeymaster

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
Any go to tips for removing minor surface rust ?
I use the following...
Wire wheel in battle drill
Flapper disk in peanut grinder-too aggressive but does work
Round Ajax pad in battle drill
Emeryville cloth and elbow grease.
Harbor freight pop bottle air blower sand blaster, this really works but the mess, oh my.
Anyone got any tips to help me out.
66 Charger, Nebraska car, but really, really solid.
318 auto, soon to be 383 or 400 auto.
Thanks

Rotolok scotch bright on a 3" pnuematic die grinder. Not to agressive and minimizes damaged area.

Dealing with body surface rust you are pretty much stuck with your methods. If you are dealing with removable parts like bumper brackets and such, I like to use a Molasses bath. I have a large (30 gal) tote that I use with one gallon of Molasses and 7 or 8 gallons of water mixture. Toss the parts in for a few days to a week and they will clean up nicely. Much cheaper than using Chemicals.

Yes,
Forgot about using molasses, I have found on small items you can coat them with Fluid Film, baggie them for a few days, then wipe and maybe a quick wire brush or wheel, makes them rust free.
Wish fluid film was cheaper though.
I wire wheeled 95 percent of drivers front outsidend today, and used the cheapo harbor freight blow gun sand blaster for the tight spots.
I can not say enough how well it does, just makes a dusty mess though, even with plastic and a vacuum to try to contain it all.
Now my HF Cheapo sandblasted has a hole ate thru it.
Arrrrrrgggggg #@^/(&#^&/#)*z&
Oh well, gotta make a new nozzle now.
Thanks to all

What part of Iowa are you at ?
There is a guy in Glidden Ia. that has a mobile blast set up. We have used him a few times.
He is very good and will use the correct media and air pressure for the job, glass, sand , soda , ect.
He is not cheap but also he will not warp your car panels.

Thanks for the info.
This 66 is my Friday night 6 pack of beer project, so it is slow and steady.
I did try a detail sander, one with a triangle vibrating head, does get into the corners and removes the rust.
No speed demon, but it does work.

Auto Transport Service
Back