• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Wire

Other gauges work ok? If so ground the wire I circled and the gauge should go all the way full. My gauge was OK and had a new sender which was inaccurate. I had to add an adjustable compensating device. My gauge was going past full when grounded. These new senders are wrong.

so if i ground where you circles i should leave the ground on it? whats the best sending unit to get i heard like 7 out of 10 are bad. Yes all other gauges work.

It will only take a few seconds when you ground it to go full. You can leave it grounded as it will not hurt anything. If it does go full I can help you make it accurate with a compensating device.

Ok great i think the new sender i put in is bad its made by delphi you ever hear of it, How many bolts to drop the steering column in a 69 charger is it 2 or 4 i had a hard time trying to drop it today, I saw 2 but thinking there maybe more.

Ok great i think the new sender i put in is bad its made by delphi you ever hear of it, How many bolts to drop the steering column in a 69 charger is it 2 or 4 i had a hard time trying to drop it today, I saw 2 but thinking there maybe more.

OK thanks so i missed one, should my sender unit be a 3/8" or 5/16 they told me 3/8 but I'm not so sure thats right its a 69 charger RT 440

OK thanks so i missed one, should my sender unit be a 3/8" or 5/16 they told me 3/8 but I'm not so sure thats right its a 69 charger RT 440
As far as I know 3/8. Do you have a smaller return line?

my return line the 5/16 fits better then the 3/8 i also took out that vapor separator and dont use the vent line

so i have a 5/16 section of rubber to the fuel pump to hook it up from the meal line

Are the dash screws the ground for the cluster because now I'm checking the gas gauge with no screws in the cluster to secure it, maybe thats part of my problem ?

Are the dash screws the ground for the cluster because now I'm checking the gas gauge with no screws in the cluster to secure it, maybe thats part of my problem ?
Yes the cluster needs to be grounded. The screws ground the cluster to the dash frame. Some people add an external ground wire for extra precaution.

I installed the tach harness today and hooked it up blue wire to power and other to negative side of the coil and plugged in the clock plug. When i went to start the car it wouldn't start no spark then i disconnected the coil wire from the negative side and the car started right up. Any ideas why?

I installed the tach harness today and hooked it up blue wire to power and other to negative side of the coil and plugged in the clock plug. When i went to start the car it wouldn't start no spark then i disconnected the coil wire from the negative side and the car started right up. Any ideas why?
If you are sure the tach is wired correctly then the tachometer must be shorted internally. Is it a known good tach?

I don't know if the tach is good i just connected it and thats what happened i guess i need a tach now

I don't know if the tach is good i just connected it and thats what happened i guess i need a tach now
Did you wire it the way I showed in the picture? Blue wire on top? Where did you run the blue wire to for a power source? Also on the tach where the gray wire goes is there an insulator on the terminal? It can not ground to the case. Make sure the gray wire is not pinched and grounding out. If you see nothing wrong with the car running touch the wire to the coil and see what it does. Post some pictures of the tach.

I ran the blue top power wire to a fuse in the fuse box ill take a picture of the back of the tach

This is how i have it set up. The 2 yellow wires going into the plug i don't know what they are for and theres a black wire coming out of the kick panel i don't know where it goes. My fuel gauge isn't working, my taillights and parking lights dont work. When i put my flashers on my dome light and console lights flash very strange.

IMG_7316.JPG IMG_7317.JPG IMG_7318.JPG

The black wire by the kick panel is for your parking brake switch.
The two yellows together I believe are for the lights left on buzzer when you open the door.
Tachometer looks to be wired correctly. Hook it back up at the coil. Unplug it at the tachometer and start the car. While running try to plug the wire back on to see if it kills the car. If it does it is either the tach itself or something grounded on its internal wiring. What is the tachs history?

Auto Transport Service
Back