• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Englishman's '66 Charger

J1MMY

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
IMG_0814.JPG
Quick story behind this one...I was actually looking for a long bed pickup for hauling materials, came across this on a classic car sale site and HAD to have it. The other half is as bad as I am and she insisted we go have a look.

2 1/2 hours driving on a Saturday morning we were stood chewing the fat with the seller and previously mentioned bad influence giving me the 'buy it, buy it!' look. It was at the point of discussing money that the radiator blew its contents out! A deal was done and the following Friday it was delivered to a little stone barn which I rent to hide from the world and tinker with my jalopies in. :)

It is solid overall, ONE spot of rust on the passenger quarter and a poorly repaired portion of the drivers floor. I am slowly removing the grey overspray which is covering little more than scratches and will attempt to remove the gold paint on the lower sides which is covering the original bronze (unless someone went two-tone at some point!)

I've got a new PAS pump on order, new lines made up and the rad is being recored. The interior is rough but there, most of the clocks work and I don't think the replacement fuel tank is correct but I am working front to back.

Not keen on the 14's but in no hurry to change them as the tyres are good. I'm guessing the springs are saggy as the rear wheels sit forward in the arches and the car sits level.

Welcome to the madness . . . keep us posted and up to date on your progress . . .

Ello Gov! sweet lookin project ya got there...do you have any more pictures?

I don't believe it. You found an unwanted first generation Charger in merry old England!
My son and I decided to do another father son with one about 3 years ago.
It's been a challenge. But IF your's is all there, that's a big plus.
Big like the car.
Parts are hard to get. But I've been surprised at what is reproduced.
Hopefully more will be as demand increases.
And I'm guessing with your mild sun the tail light probably aren't even cracked too bad if at all.
Don't worry if your rear springs are "flat".
Years ago I was concerned about this issue on a Challenger that I had and wasted money on a new set of Mopar Performance springs.
No change. Still "flat".
I then got Larry Shepherd's books. Chrysler designed those spring to have very little arch under rest. The car is supposed to handle better like that. The only cars that had "arched" leaf springs were the T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas.
And they had arched springs to allow for the side exhaust pipes.
I hope you enjoy learning all about these under appreciated cars' histories.
Check the 66-67 forum out.
dcc-5007160_w.jpg

Welcome from Canada,nice diamond in the rough you have there. One question,are you sure the 318 is of the LA variety and not the A engine ,318 poly? That is what it should have been in 66. LA engine would have 5 valve cover bolts where a poly would have 3 bolts down the center.

IMG_0816.JPG
The car is from Atlanta and only got shipped over January this year so thankfully hasn't had to deal with too much in the way of our climate. It was a 1 owner car from new there. The tail light is good and undamaged :)

I will pop some more pics up shortly....and check the rocker bolts - I was going by deciding the fender tag. Where in Canada? I've got family dotted about in BC.

Thank you for the leaf spring info - something less to worry about :)

Welcome from BC. The car looks pretty clean. What's in the cards for the car?

Last edited:
View attachment 379185 The car is from Atlanta and only got shipped over January this year so thankfully hasn't had to deal with too much in the way of our climate. It was a 1 owner car from new there. The tail light is good and undamaged :)

I will pop some more pics up shortly....and check the rocker bolts - I was going by deciding the fender tag. Where in Canada? I've got family dotted about in BC.

Thank you for the leaf spring info - something less to worry about :)

It's a small world is it not?
Well, I had to check because thought that I saw a bronze colored one in the Atlanta area on craigslist.
I know nothing about the car.
No. It does not look like that's the car you bought because it is still listed.
But there is not a picture anymore.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5914915317.html

Last edited:
IMG_0876.JPG
I wanted to see if the paint could be improved (and protected) by some quick wet-and-dry sanding followed by some hand-applied colour restorer...the top and bottom of the right side of the bonnet were the test patches.

IMG_0892.JPG

I did some more this evening and it has turned out ok. The primer was covering scratches and where the paint has gone from the edges. For now it will get another going over with the polish and some coats of wax. I will get a daylight pic as taking pics under the barn lights don't do it much justice.

IMG_0901.JPG

My glamorous assistant (aka the other half) has been getting busy with the nail polish remover and some fine scotchbrite with some success too. Hopefully, it will look quite the survivor with original paint brought back as best as I can and polished up.

New steering box hoses have arrived, pump arrrives tomorrow and the re-cored radiator is being dropped off at work tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back