• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most impressive YT video I've watched in a very long time

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
No, it's nothing to do with Mopars - or cars of any sort.
In fact, it's about a steam engine - a pretty amazing one - but moreso, about the passions of a man
who ressurected the engine against all odds and typical modern day political resistance...
But further, there's lessons to be taken from this fellow about the human condition, past and present
as well.
Find the time to watch this. It's worth it.

It machinery built in that time was so beautifully detailed, you can sense the pride of the builders & the people who maintained it for all these years... Awesome that it dodged WWII... Just a different time with different values...

If you like stuff like this, Symco WI has the thresheree every LAST weekend in July. They have a web page, Union Threshers. They have some Fairbanks Morse engines as well. Usually a few steam tractors, they will hook one up to the old sawmill on Saturday and Sunday.
This era of machinery is amazing in my opinion, stuff like this was made in places that did not have indoor plumbing or electricity yet.

The reason I love the old stuff, is because it was designed with the mind. It amazes me to look at old machines, from aircraft to Zephyrs and think, they were geniuses! To go from nothing to what was built and made with what they had as opposed to today, or even 50 years ago, it is truly awe-inspiring!

Oh man, in the first 20 minutes or so I saw stuff very similar to what was still being used in the refinery when I hired on in 1980 like the centrifugal governor and the manual oilers. The plant had a unit that was shut down in the 50's and it was amazing to walk through it. Yeah, we weren't supposed to be in there but....well, you know. Steam turbines were still being used as backups to electric motors when I retired in 06 and they all had similar type governors on them.

Steam driven rod pumps were all over the refinery when I hired in.....at first I thought how archaic but after awhile, I liked them. Same basic setup on steam trains and even sounded like them and could even get them running way too fast to the point that things started shaking like piping and the rod pump itself lol.

Steam driven rod pumps were all over the refinery when I hired in.....at first I thought how archaic but after awhile, I liked them. Same basic setup on steam trains and even sounded like them and could even get them running way too fast to the point that things started shaking like piping and the rod pump itself lol.
I love the old steam engines. Again the old technology with what they had, impressive to say the least!

Was talking to my wife's cousin last night, he had a horizontal boring company, heavy equipment operator and most importantly, was a farmer. He was at a tractor pull this weekend and was talking about the steam engine tractors at the pull, obviously very old. They are rolling art and everything about them is heavy, overly built. The thing that got me, is the work involved in using steam. On the farm you would have to get up extra early to feed the fire box so it would be ready to use when the sun came up. It's super interesting, that's for sharing!!

I'm still trying to find time to watch that Ed lol

Auto Transport Service
Back