• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Willomet Charger

Frame table is pretty much built. I have a few more welds to finish and a mounting pad to build for the rear body cart legs.

Materials - 4x4x.120, heavily trussed on 1/2-13 threaded pad. Everything was level within a degree and square within 1/16" before burning in the corners. Must have measured ten times before committing.
IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

Looking to get the car mounted and locked down this week. Then, I should be able to plate the inner rocker and add other reinforcements.

David

Progress tonight - the car is on the table. Still much to do before it's "locked down."
IMG_0111.JPG

I picked up a digital level, and used the 1/2-13 threaded adjusters to get front/back level with 0.1* - more than sufficient up to this point. As well, these short "wings" are for the rear legs of the body cart. I'll have them installed most of the time once I've plated the inner rocker.
IMG_0108.JPG

At 15' 9" long, there shouldn't be any limitations to what I can brace to or build from.
IMG_0105.JPG

David

Last edited:
I just wish I could work as fast as you do!
Hey, thank you. Most of the time I feel like I work slow, taking my time to figure things out and plan. One piece of advice I received and think is pretty useful - work on your project a little bit each day.

Small progress adds up.

David

Table level up - second iteration:
The garage floor has a 1/8"/ft slope to it, and the forward adjusters were close to maxed out, so I pulled the jam nuts on the rear adjusters to get the table 1/4" lower overall.

The relevel yielded better results than the initial - 0* variance side to side. Front to back is a little different - 0.1* on one table rail and 0* on the other, though my bubble level(s) looked smack dab in the middle of their lines. My nice 4' level is on permanent loan to my dad, so I'm going to get a new one and double check the measurements before locking anything down.

Car level up - first iteration:
The car does need some assistance getting level side to side. The front is off by 1/8" rail-to-rail while the rear looked more like 3/16". The rockers leveled out perfectly from the start (measured from the top pinch). I'm experimenting using inverted and normal quick grips and shims, moving around the car to the (presumably) level table beneath it to get uniform readings.
IMG_0127.JPG

I left the shop with all bubbles sitting within their lines and gauges reading 0* or 0.1*. Doing the math, 0.1* over 15' 9" amounts to less than 1/32", which is acceptable given that the unibody probably wasn't flat when it left the St Louis production line. Parallel and perpendicular are more important as the reinforcements are integrated.

David

Frame table is pretty much built. I have a few more welds to finish and a mounting pad to build for the rear body cart legs.

Materials - 4x4x.120, heavily trussed on 1/2-13 threaded pad. Everything was level within a degree and square within 1/16" before burning in the corners. Must have measured ten times before committing.
View attachment 421360

View attachment 421361

View attachment 421362

View attachment 421363

Looking to get the car mounted and locked down this week. Then, I should be able to plate the inner rocker and add other reinforcements.

David

WOW . . . the welds alone on that jig are a work of art . . . nice looking jig to boot too ! ! !

WOW . . . the welds alone on that jig are a work of art . . . nice looking jig to boot too ! ! !
Thank you for the kind words.

I spend a little extra time making sure I'm in a comfortable position and the work is really clean. That always helps me.

Regarding the jig, I sized it to fit B and E bodies, dimensions that should fit a lot of cars. Hopefully it adapts easily to the next project that comes in the shop.

David

Table Level Up - Final:
I picked up a good 4' level - turns out I'm an accidental fan of Stanley Fatmax - and made minor adjustments to the the front pegs. All is now level to the greatest resolution my instruments will measure.
IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

Car Level Up - second iteration:
With the table adjustments, it was less of a chore to get the car to level out - the same stack of temporary shims amounted to level side to side. The rockers are parallel, and the rear was only out by 0.1*, which was easily solved by some quick grip action. I'll verify everything is the same in the morning.
IMG_0136.JPG

Hard to get a good side shot, but visually this shows the rocker parallel to the table along with the slope of the floor.
IMG_0137.JPG

Across the rockers.
IMG_0138.JPG

Rear frame at the shackle hangers. Just wanted to take multiple readings.
IMG_0139.JPG

Inverted quick grip on the driver rail - pulled out that last 0.1* to get the rear as level as the front and center.
IMG_0140.JPG

Right about now is when the wife comes out with Shiners and says, "we're going out."

David

Last edited:
Table Level Up - Final:
I picked up a good 4' level - turns out I'm an accidental fan of Stanley Fatmax - and made minor adjustments to the the front pegs. All is now level to the greatest resolution my instruments will measure.
img_0131-jpg.230473

img_0132-jpg.230474

img_0133-jpg.230475

Car Level Up - second iteration:
With the table adjustments, it was less of a chore to get the car to level out - the same stack of temporary shims amounted to level side to side. The rockers are parallel, and the rear was only out by 0.1*, which was easily solved by some quick grip action. I'll verify everything is the same in the morning.

img_0136-jpg.230478

Hard to get a good side shot, but visually this shows the rocker parallel to the table along with the slope of the floor.
img_0137-jpg.230479

Across the rockers.
img_0138-jpg.230480

Rear frame at the shackle hangers. Just wanted to take multiple readings.
img_0139-jpg.230481

Inverted quick grip on the driver rail - pulled out that last 0.1* to get the rear as level as the front and center.
img_0140-jpg.230482

Right about now is when the wife comes out with Shiners and says, "we're going out."

David
Images no workey . . .

Will the attachments to the table be welded down or bolted down ? ?

Also . . . did you, by chance, check to see that the chassis was square too ? ? ? ( wonder how close they were when they built them )

Images no workey . . .

Will the attachments to the table be welded down or bolted down ? ?

Also . . . did you, by chance, check to see that the chassis was square too?
Check the images now - uploads rather than links.

I'm building stickers now that will weld the car and the table together. I have the front done, and the k member portion of the Auto Twirler body cart is removed. Working on the rear tonight once Mother's Day activities are concluded.

The car is square within 1/16". That's the first thing I checked after putting it on the body cart in 2015, breathing a huge sigh of relief. You're right to ask, because I don't think I detailed that here, and I'm headed down a path that will lock it in, square or not.

David

Check the images now - uploads rather than links.

I'm building stickers now that will weld the car and the table together. I have the front done, and the k member portion of the Auto Twirler body cart is removed. Working on the rear tonight once Mother's Day activities are concluded.

The car is square within 1/16". That's the first thing I checked after putting it on the body cart in 2015, breathing a huge sigh of relief. You're right to ask, because I don't think I detailed that here, and I'm headed down a path that will lock it in, square or not.

David
Much better on the pics - thanks

The car is off the body cart, and locked to the table. As the build progresses, these mounts will change and move, but this is what I need to get started.
IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

Didn't get a good shot of the front, so that will be in the next round of photos. Busy weekend balancing family and Mother's Day.

David

Solid and uninterrupted time. That's what I needed to start repair on the driver rocker.

The rocker had a pretty deep gouge that the PO attempted to repair, and it also looked like the car was lifted by a forklift since the pinch weld was folded over completely.
IMG_0174.JPG

Hammer extension.
IMG_0175.JPG

Drilled peak of dent and the first few hits.
IMG_0176.JPG

Few more.
IMG_0177.JPG

Pretty much just the PO's rorschach grinding marks.
IMG_0181.JPG

Punch step up to build the internal rocker reinforcement.
IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Hole filled and smoothed out.
IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

David

A casualty of quarter removal.
IMG_0191.JPG

The radius of the rocker is darned close to that of my heel dolly.
IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

Set for tomorrow.
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

David

WOW! Mad skills bro.....You weld like a robot.....Best welds I have seen in a long time

Your work is looking extremely organized, well done sir.
Thank you! It took me a while to learn the lesson, but my work space reflects my mind space. Got to keep things clear if I'm going to be productive.
Thanks. Lots of good ideas in your thread.
WOW! Mad skills bro.....You weld like a robot.....Best welds I have seen in a long time
Appreciate that. A comfortable position and extra clean work make all the difference.

David

Auto Transport Service
Back