• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Willomet Charger

Wheelhouse extension done, with overlap from the inner to the outer. These things are time vampires.

B1CECDC6-7A56-4ACB-80B5-E2369B09A5BD.jpeg

07B959E6-A619-45F5-A3E4-9BAD57A84523.jpeg

One more piece to fill the front inner corner profile, and then I’ll start to mirror on the other side. But first, it’s time to go deer hunting.

David

Christmas Day, again.

5D31B625-FC08-4AD5-B020-36F5DE5E0463.jpeg

9649AC9C-5309-4C2D-BE65-688029163E56.jpeg

5FD1C9C2-B3AC-4067-8EDB-58F9D09F575C.jpeg

C6100081-1252-400C-8EA2-4D277A1E4757.jpeg

1E896A0A-100B-43A1-8956-F9DD91B195B6.jpeg

Lots to organize tomorrow, but everything to put the car on its own weight is here.

David

What all tools are you using to get it smoothed out after the dolly work, just an english wheel? Your work looks phenomenal!

Question don't you have a contract or work for chassis works? And if so did you design these parts for them or did you order what they have off the shelf to fab and fit?
And by the way your fab work is top notch.

What all tools are you using to get it smoothed out after the dolly work, just an english wheel? Your work looks phenomenal!
English wheel, slap hammer, and a bit of the shrinking disc. Thanks man. Lots of hours, but I enjoy the work.

Question don't you have a contract or work for chassis works? And if so did you design these parts for them or did you order what they have off the shelf to fab and fit?
And by the way your fab work is top notch.
I don’t have a deal with or work for Chassisworks. I spent about the same as anyone else would to get this gear. It’s all made to measure, so it’s specifically for my car. Appreciate the kind words.

David

None of what I said was about money, it all was about your fabrication. I thought I read somewhere they hired you because of your talent. I thought some of those parts was something you designed that’s all maybe my comments were unclear. Sorry for the confusion. Jesse

None of what I said was about money, it all was about your fabrication. I thought I read somewhere they hired you because of your talent. I thought some of those parts was something you designed that’s all maybe my comments were unclear. Sorry for the confusion. Jesse
I regret the misinterpretation on my part.

Everything from CW is straight from their catalog. The Fab9 (like all their rear ends) is made to order to my measurements. The front end has a few different width selections, and the torque arm has a handful of different lengths.

I first met those folks at SEMA, and we started up a conversation on how to make one of their Chevelle designs adapt to the Charger. They’re only a few inches different in length and axle placements. But, all that slick stuff is their design, and I really dig it.

David

Last edited:
English wheel, slap hammer, and a bit of the shrinking disc. Thanks man. Lots of hours, but I enjoy the work.

I don’t have a deal with or work for Chassisworks. I spent about the same as anyone else would to get this gear. It’s all made to measure, so it’s specifically for my car. Appreciate the kind words.

David
Thanks, I'm looking into buying some metal shaping tools since I tend to be shaping metal often but didn't know what piece to start off with? So you don't use a blanishing hammer? Watching videos it looked like it would work great for smoothing out metal in tighter areas?

Kind of depends what you want to do; a plenishing hammer is awesome for smoothing out metal, creating domes, etc. however it does have limitations. An English wheel can do the same but so much more, but both have their place. My favorite piece of metal shaping equipment is my bead roller.

Patience is the key for sure. There’s no fast way (I don’t think) to do any of this very well. It’s lots of incremental steps, none of which are too hard, but do require prolonged focus for an amateur like me to get the kind of results I want.

I listen to books or Jazz while I work. That keeps me in a zone.

David
Just getting caught up and I have to say you put a lot of professionals to shame. Impressive skillset and patience as mentioned before. This will be an amazing car when done.

I'm looking into buying some metal shaping tools since I tend to be shaping metal often but didn't know what piece to start off with? So you don't use a blanishing hammer?
I plan on buying a pneumatic planishing hammer. It will do all the same stuff as body and slap hammers, but far faster and it gives you a little leverage that comes with that “third hand.”

If you’re building one or two cars, I’d favor a planishing hammer. It’s great for small to medium sized area work, like fender flares, weld seams, and so on. I just scored the English wheel for free, and ended up getting it first. It take up a lot of floor space, and I’d sooner recommend the hammer for a space efficient tool.

Whatever you choose, just get started making stuff. Experience is a great teacher, and you don’t need more than a few YouTube videos to get going.

a plenishing hammer is awesome for smoothing out metal, creating domes, etc. however it does have limitations.
They’re powerful tools, no doubt. To me, it’s just a matter of which you get first. Hard to go wrong with either.

Just getting caught up and I have to say you put a lot of professionals to shame. Impressive skillset and patience as mentioned before. This will be an amazing car when done.
That’s high praise, and means a lot coming from you. I’ve always dug your work, and taken my share of inspiration from it. Thank you.

David

Last edited:
Everything is sorted, paperwork is cataloged, and parts are stowed. These are just some photos of a few of my favorite components.

Wide track arms will make for a 60" wide front end, their widest dimension available. This also confirms the notion that a charger is a factory widebody. Also, the front unit bearing is an evolved version of a C6 Z06 made to handle lots of side load from slinging heavy cars around on sticky rubber.

21ABC3CB-0BDC-49DE-B68A-8577DF38C84C.jpeg

The rear unit bearing is the same as the front with a different flange for the floater Fab9.

3FB24DBB-A95B-447D-85E2-6849005F2597.jpeg

Rear 35 spline chromoly shafts.

FCE11666-A9BE-47E6-8251-6CD6C0B38E90.jpeg

04010D5E-A7C5-49D6-B738-96F4E4123854.jpeg

24" trailing arms. Their longest and lightest available.

3E9F12AD-F753-442D-9E04-A5F3ECFFAC58.jpeg

326AC282-A1A7-4C93-B1A1-7F742AEB5125.jpeg

48" torque arm. This is one size longer than their 39" for a Chevelle.

36775C0C-C622-4F27-A57D-1C8A21B9FCAB.jpeg

Also, I forgot to order the watts link, like a dummy. I'll get that incoming next week.

David

Thanks for the input, think I start with the planishing hammer since everything I'm doing at the moment won't fit in and English wheel.

Love watching your build come together, great motivation.

Back to work.

84ABBAE9-9499-40E2-9FF2-41E8C30FDE16.jpeg

05576739-FAE2-4DD4-A276-AEB1F2ED3437.jpeg

1CBF085C-24AB-4AA7-9756-229284C761CB.jpeg

E70332EA-4A70-49E7-B8DF-C7B60C8DFB44.jpeg

AAEAB9E2-71A3-49FC-81FF-947CC6A50DC2.jpeg

I’ll slice the front and extend the material to match the “torque box” frame section.

David

Profile adjusted.

It’s only about 3/4” wider, but I cut in this larger section to avoid blending two welds so close together.

D31FEA7B-5FA8-4C25-9FDB-63DA73DA04CF.jpeg

8787248D-295B-429C-BAD8-8E34D343BD3C.jpeg

David

Auto Transport Service
Back