• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"There's No Comparison": Why Classic Car Enthusiasts Won't Touch Modern Cars

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Sorry, too long to copy and paste .....

1700692022833.png

CASA GRANDE, Ariz.—Given the choice between a sporty new Chevy Corvette and his 1963 Dodge 330, Bob Hughes will take the 60-year-old classic any day.

The simplicity of automotive design from yesteryear has its virtues, Mr. Hughes said, relaxing in a lawn chair next to his former "daily driver" at the Thunderfest Car and Bike Show in Casa Grande, Arizona, on Nov. 4.

"You can change the plugs—you can see the plugs—which is something you can't do on most new cars," he said.

"I built this thing from nothing. It was a $75 body when I bought it." That was in 1970.

All around the big parking lot were classic hot rods and muscle cars—tricked-out mechanical masterpieces from when vehicles were easy to work on if you had the tools and the skill.

It isn't the same with newer automated vehicles, vintage and classic car enthusiasts say.

Bob Hughes sits beside his 1963 Dodge 330 during a car show in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
Bob Hughes sits beside his 1963 Dodge 330 during a car show in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
"For one thing, the electronics can screw you up," Mr. Hughes, 76, told The Epoch Times.

"You mess up the electronics by arcing the battery. I'll walk before I buy an electric vehicle. And I can't hardly walk at all."

Mr. Hughes of Casa Grande isn't alone in criticizing the new car technology.

Mary Jo McDonald, a senior from Glendale, California, held similar views as she sat under an umbrella watching over her husband's 1959 Pontiac Bonneville convertible with the hood open.

She said comparing vintage cars and newer models is like comparing cats and dogs.

"My husband is an electrical engineer. But the new stuff? It's like Star Wars," Ms. McDonald said.

Though her husband, Donald, has tried working on the newer cars, he's been having trouble "getting all the bells and whistles to work," she said.

A 1952 Bonneville owned by Donald and Mary Jo McDonald of Glendale, Calif., was among many classic car show entries in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
A 1952 Bonneville owned by Donald and Mary Jo McDonald of Glendale, Calif., was among many classic car show entries in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
"It's complicated. You can figure out how the older vehicles come together and come apart. This car, he completely tore down and redid the whole thing."

"There's no comparison," Ms. McDonald told The Epoch Times. "There are definite advantages to the new technology. But being in my 80s, I would rather have it the old way."

According to national insurance company Progressive, the main differences between old and new vehicles are in their design, components, handling, and safety.

"Modern engines are much smarter, smaller, more powerful, and more efficient than older ones," Progressive's website states.

"Since they lack automated features, classic cars have a more hands-on driving experience, and they can be easier to work on yourself. And while newer cars will depreciate with age, classic car values tend to appreciate due to supply and demand, especially for well-maintained cars."

The merger of automation and vehicle technology has taken decades since German carmaker Volkswagen introduced the first vehicle using a transistorized, electronically controlled fuel injection system in 1968, according to Chipsets.com.

The following year, Ford introduced the company's first computer-controlled anti-skid braking system. Chrysler vehicles now feature Electronic Engine Control (EEC) technology introduced in 1973.

image-5530166

image-5530035

(Left) A man works on the engine of a classic vintage car. (Right) A mechanic uses his computer to diagnose a breakdown on a car at a Peugeot dealership, in Illiers-Combray, central France, on May 4, 2020, (Oliver Rossi/Getty Images, JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER/AFP via Getty Images)

"Have you noticed a change in the picture you see under the hood of your car?" the Drivin' & Vibin' Team wrote in a May 27, 2022, online article.

"Vehicle repairs are certainly a lot more complicated than they used to be a couple of decades ago, and for a good reason."

Compared with vehicles manufactured before 1990, newer cars and trucks have fewer moving parts, and they have onboard computers that control most engine functions, making things more complicated.

"It takes a lot more schooling to educate a professional mechanic properly," the Drivin' & Vibin' Team wrote. "When designers came up with new car concepts back in the day, they focused more on making the vehicles easy for the typical owner to repair.

"Engineers designed vehicles to have more open space under the hood, and they had fewer electrical components to manage."

Travis Rees-Fleming, 38, of Snowflake, Arizona, said he prefers simpler auto technology to the newer vehicles.

His 1962 Ford Ranchero was his favorite car.

Keeping it simple back in the day was the way to go. Now you need a laptop just to figure out if the lighter is working. LOL. All the high-tech stuff is nice till it doesn't work.

My newest vehicle is 27 now......then 28 and 29 and I just keep on beating on the 29 year old lol. I'm kinda kind to the 28 and 27 year old. All 3 are pickups. My oldest is 58 and working on it.

CASA GRANDE, Ariz.—Given the choice between a sporty new Chevy Corvette and his 1963 Dodge 330, Bob Hughes will take the 60-year-old classic any day.

The simplicity of automotive design from yesteryear has its virtues, Mr. Hughes said, relaxing in a lawn chair next to his former "daily driver" at the Thunderfest Car and Bike Show in Casa Grande, Arizona, on Nov. 4.

"You can change the plugs—you can see the plugs—which is something you can't do on most new cars," he said.

"I built this thing from nothing. It was a $75 body when I bought it." That was in 1970.

All around the big parking lot were classic hot rods and muscle cars—tricked-out mechanical masterpieces from when vehicles were easy to work on if you had the tools and the skill.

It isn't the same with newer automated vehicles, vintage and classic car enthusiasts say.

View attachment 1561769Bob Hughes sits beside his 1963 Dodge 330 during a car show in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
"For one thing, the electronics can screw you up," Mr. Hughes, 76, told The Epoch Times.

"You mess up the electronics by arcing the battery. I'll walk before I buy an electric vehicle. And I can't hardly walk at all."

Mr. Hughes of Casa Grande isn't alone in criticizing the new car technology.

Mary Jo McDonald, a senior from Glendale, California, held similar views as she sat under an umbrella watching over her husband's 1959 Pontiac Bonneville convertible with the hood open.

She said comparing vintage cars and newer models is like comparing cats and dogs.

"My husband is an electrical engineer. But the new stuff? It's like Star Wars," Ms. McDonald said.

Though her husband, Donald, has tried working on the newer cars, he's been having trouble "getting all the bells and whistles to work," she said.

View attachment 1561770A 1952 Bonneville owned by Donald and Mary Jo McDonald of Glendale, Calif., was among many classic car show entries in Casa Grande, Ariz., on Nov. 4, 2023. (Allan Stein/The Epoch Times)
"It's complicated. You can figure out how the older vehicles come together and come apart. This car, he completely tore down and redid the whole thing."

"There's no comparison," Ms. McDonald told The Epoch Times. "There are definite advantages to the new technology. But being in my 80s, I would rather have it the old way."

According to national insurance company Progressive, the main differences between old and new vehicles are in their design, components, handling, and safety.

"Modern engines are much smarter, smaller, more powerful, and more efficient than older ones," Progressive's website states.

"Since they lack automated features, classic cars have a more hands-on driving experience, and they can be easier to work on yourself. And while newer cars will depreciate with age, classic car values tend to appreciate due to supply and demand, especially for well-maintained cars."

The merger of automation and vehicle technology has taken decades since German carmaker Volkswagen introduced the first vehicle using a transistorized, electronically controlled fuel injection system in 1968, according to Chipsets.com.

The following year, Ford introduced the company's first computer-controlled anti-skid braking system. Chrysler vehicles now feature Electronic Engine Control (EEC) technology introduced in 1973.

View attachment 1561771
View attachment 1561772
(Left) A man works on the engine of a classic vintage car. (Right) A mechanic uses his computer to diagnose a breakdown on a car at a Peugeot dealership, in Illiers-Combray, central France, on May 4, 2020, (Oliver Rossi/Getty Images, JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER/AFP via Getty Images)

"Have you noticed a change in the picture you see under the hood of your car?" the Drivin' & Vibin' Team wrote in a May 27, 2022, online article.

"Vehicle repairs are certainly a lot more complicated than they used to be a couple of decades ago, and for a good reason."

Compared with vehicles manufactured before 1990, newer cars and trucks have fewer moving parts, and they have onboard computers that control most engine functions, making things more complicated.

"It takes a lot more schooling to educate a professional mechanic properly," the Drivin' & Vibin' Team wrote. "When designers came up with new car concepts back in the day, they focused more on making the vehicles easy for the typical owner to repair.

"Engineers designed vehicles to have more open space under the hood, and they had fewer electrical components to manage."

Travis Rees-Fleming, 38, of Snowflake, Arizona, said he prefers simpler auto technology to the newer vehicles.

His 1962 Ford Ranchero was his favorite car.
One of my favorite cars was a 66 Mudstain Fastback which is basically a Falcoon in disguise. 289 and a 4 speed and dumb things broke on it too often tho and is one of the reasons I gave up on Ferds. Had a 65 Fastback 289 auto at the same time and nothing ever broke on it but it just wasn't that fun to drive with the C4 in it.

One of my favorite cars was a 66 Mudstain Fastback which is basically a Falcoon in disguise. 289 and a 4 speed and dumb things broke on it too often tho and is one of the reasons I gave up on Ferds. Had a 65 Fastback 289 auto at the same time and nothing ever broke on it but it just wasn't that fun to drive with the C4 in it.
My neighbour across the highway from me has a 1965 Mustang that he absolutely adores. He is a good friend, and his car is a nice piece. I razz him by calling it the Falcon Deluxe!

I gravitate towards the old too
I currently have a 68 RR & a 99 Dakota 4x4 SLT as my DD
(have a newish Gladiator Rubicon too)
I had a crapload of older cars/trucks
MoPars mostly all Older stuff,
spatterings of Pontiac Chevy Buick Jeep Ferd MG Jag Porsche etc.
simplistic easy to see the part & work on at home,
is a great concept...
But give me an old 68-71 Power Wagon (up to like 1980)
or a Trailduster or Ramcharger after 74 or a tried &true 58-71 Jeep Cj
or a 61-72 "real muscle car era", my passion, especially 68-70 B-body or A-Body
(or a Dodge Sweptside) are the best...
BB 2 dr HTs/Coupes especially from most any of the 'big 3' (4 if AMC counts)
I like something about all of them, keeps my attention much longer...
A simpler time, a better time in some ways, many ways compared to right now...

I like a few of the newer cars/4x4 trucks too
lil' Hemi's, Charger Challenger 300s TRX Power Wagons/Rams Gladiator/Rubicon
or Vipers (99 GTS my favorite, not really new)
or even Ford Raptor 4x4,
or the newer Rustangs/GT 500s/350s, that I can't fit comfortably in
z28 zl1 Camaros or C8 & the C7 Vetts NA pushrod engines
some impressive improvements over the decades

even some of Toyota's offerings, more are made right here in the USA
(in a few "right-to-work states", never shut down for greed/UAW strikes either)
"allegedly" they're more "made in USA" than any other company in the US,
"what's sold here is built/produced right here"
(I know sacrilege, I haven't owned any in quite a while)

Most all the 'big 3', many models & offerings sold here today/now
are "made in Mexico"
or over the northern border
are "Made in Canada"
& the electronics/chips are from China
(its not like it used to be, everything made here)

"supposedly" they (big 3) are trying to change that concept to keep jobs here
UAW "alleged", new contracts to stay here/build more here :jackoff: ...
Build more Trucks right here, even a new mid-sized Ram Dakota,
Jeep's plant in Ohio is booming again now too...

Just not the same passion/interests as in the older American cars

but;
I admire the speed or handling, creature comforts 'combined in them'
(until you have to pay for/fix stuff or work on one of them :poke: )
or newish SRT-10 v10 Viper trucks (2005-ish)
or newer factory racecars DragPaks Copos Cobras
Im 110% impressed how much power they can get out of
these lil' lite v8s/5 ltr or 6.4 ltr combos in today's tech, boosted or not...
(more boost the better IMO)
We were in the 2nd coming of the Muscle Car/Truck era...

20 years from now we will reminiscing about it too...

Last edited:
Thus why I no longer have my 2003 Lightning and 2017 Shelby GT350. Both had lots of guts - more so than I do if something went wrong with one of them.

Like many here, I own both. Once they get 10-15 years old, the electronics start to take a crap and the parts changers among us can’t figure out how to fix em. Me either. Dealers are criminal and incompetent. This could change. Feels kinda shitty driving a modern miracle to a show that’s too far. Too easy and too quiet.

My 2 year old grand Cherokee has 55,000 miles on it. had a rough idle start a few months ago. Dealer claimed found nothing….even after I told them vacuum leak and probably master cylinder as I could make it worse with more pressure on the brake. Me thinks unless it’s an electrical issue the techs have trouble. I fixed it. The grommet on the power booster / vacuum hose was bad.

My 2 year old grand Cherokee has 55,000 miles on it. had a rough idle start a few months ago. Dealer claimed found nothing….even after I told them vacuum leak and probably master cylinder as I could make it worse with more pressure on the brake. Me thinks unless it’s an electrical issue the techs have trouble. I fixed it. The grommet on the power booster / vacuum hose was bad.
There's still lots of things that are basic to just about all cars that can be checked on the new ones that most techs at the stealerships won't think to look at.

Tried to stay somewhat up on doing my own fixes on our newer cars we had until the early 2000’s. I bought a pricy scan-tool kit that had various cartridges you could buy for it to diagnose problems, they resembled 8-track tapes. Used it a couple of times, but had to buy other cartridges (more significant cash) and then that technology became obsolete. Lol, how long did CD’s last? About as long as it took for me to download tunes making a dozen or so of them to hold the tunes I liked. Keeping up with the new tech and involved money for DIY’s is a crap-shoot alone.

Friend’s son has a newer truck and the problems he has had with it are crazy and expensive. New lingo with these vehicles “Going to limp mode”. 500 miles from home and it goes into limp mode. And something went haywire with the radio imbedded with the navigation system and all the other crap. Dealer’s cost to fix it? Four GRAND.

I’ve purchased extended warranties on several pre-owned rides I’ve had, with a few exceptions, glad I did. One time around 10 years ago, the head gasket needed replacing, my local shop didn’t want to touch it being a Cadillac motor. Car only had 50k on it! Cost to fix? $4,800! My warranty covered it plus getting a new Caddy as a loaner for the three-weeks it was in the shop. $100 deductible. The $2100 warranty was a good buy.

Another time the trans went to chit on my Ram at 82k, $3,500 fix. It was covered, lucky as my warranty was to expire in less than a month. One bad experience with an extended warranty on my daughter’s Honda CRV that was IMO, deftly excluded, a problem that many bitched about that should have been a recall. One reason why I’ll never buy a Honda..

I just bought a new RAM and for the first time I'm considering buying an extended warranty since I hope to hang on to it for awhile. We’ll see how it goes.

For me it is newer designs don’t have the quality and feel, I’d go as far as say lacking a Soul.

Similar to the comparison between old firearms and new. 1911 compared to Glock, pre war Mauser to new bolt action. The materials and workmanship of new does not feel right.

I just bought a new RAM and for the first time I'm considering buying an extended warranty since I hope to hang on to it for awhile. We’ll see how it goes.
IMO I’m sold on buying. But, it has been some years since I last bought one, no idea how much they cost now, though on the other hand the repair costs have obviously exploded.

Elementary suggestion; take time to read the fine print and question anything that’s not clear. Take time, get comfy, and grab a beverage while reading through it. One warranty I purchased was stellar, no wonder those are not to be found today. Paid two-grand and it required keeping the vehicle serviced. Well I do this anyway. If not using it, all but $100 was returned. On a trip to SD, a rock hit the evaporator costing $700 to repair. Wife says nice we have the warranty. I said nope, for the $1900 return, don’t want to use it. Handed this car over to my kid and got the $1900 back. She’s still driving it with 235k on it. Best car we ever owned.

More often I’ve bought cars a few years old, low miles well-optioned. I don’t trade them in given the rip-off and sell them myself. The deals here usually have been getting at least a grand or two more than the trade-in quotes and figure the warranty costs I paid were covered there alone.

Some want to buy new (my brother always buys new) and all fine. He says I’m a cheap sort. “Pull your damn wallet out and get a new vehicle.” Ok, yeah maybe I’m not thrilled to pay 70-grand like he just did having another monthly payment. I haven’t had a car payment for 25 years.

One ride I purchased some years ago (work vehicle after I started my biz) was fully decked having just 10k on it, two-years old. Cost new was $39,000. I got it for $22k still having the new car smell. Makes me wonder how much the owner got for it on trade-in and little debate on my offer.

To each their own. I used to have new vehicles (most were company rides) and the novelty of a new ride left me.

Auto Transport Service
Back