• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Hobby is hard enough without guys like you

69 Plymouth bumpers are extremely hard to find in any shape...Let alone good shape.....

This makes it challenging because a good core has a better outcome for Chrome......It sounds like the other guys bumpers were a train wreck.....So...How did the guy know your bumpers were done because obviously his were not at that time? It just screams of an inside deal that has now gone down very badly.....

Here is what you can do......How can you trust them now, right?....Get a quote from Pauls Chrome to do a front and rear bumper. Ask them to pull a previous quote from another customer. Heck I can send a copy for my rear one if you want that estimate....It will be around or above 3k to do both......Then take that info to small claims court.....Stick it to that business AZZ....

If it was premeditated (and it doesn't sound like it was), then it's conspiracy to defraud coupled with grand theft.

Not sure why some posters think the police won't get involved or that it's only a civil matter.

Call the damn cops.

It's THEFT.

They will tell you if it's their job or not.

...and all it may take is the cops showing up to ask questions and let them know what could happen if things don't get resolved favorably for the OP.

I see it as the guy showed up.. .asked the kid "my 69 bumpers done yet" and he said yah we just finished some up. Guy paid the cashier, loaded and left. Maybe he thinks they were his... or he's a kiniving fucktard.. one or the other!

doesn't matter

shop is liable

call the cops

It's not theft under criminal law. He willfully took the bumpers to the shop. An agreement was made that they would rechrome them in exchange for money. The agreement was breached because he didn't get his bumpers back, but it's not criminal theft. LE is for enforcement of criminal law, not to settle civil disputes. The courts settle civil disputes. If the shop had rechromed them but then he refused to pay them, he'd be in breach of the agreement. The shop's only recourse would be to pursue it in civil court. LE wouldn't go over to his house to collect payment or arrest him.

I'm not siding with the shop - they are definitely the responsible party to make this right. I'm just explaining how the law works in matters like these and what LE's role is. There are times when LE can offer a citizen assist by having a chat with someone hoping to nudge them in the right direction, but they can't force anyone to do anything in a case like this.

It's not theft under criminal law. He willfully took the bumpers to the shop. An agreement was made that they would rechrome them in exchange for money. The agreement was breached because he didn't get his bumpers back, but it's not criminal theft. LE is for enforcement of criminal law, not to settle civil disputes. The courts settle civil disputes. If the shop had rechromed them but then he refused to pay them, he'd be in breach of the agreement. The shop's only recourse would be to pursue it in civil court. LE wouldn't go over to his house to collect payment or arrest him.

I'm not siding with the shop - they are definitely the responsible party to make this right. I'm just explaining how the law works in matters like these and what LE's role is. There are times when LE can offer a citizen assist by having a chat with someone hoping to nudge them in the right direction, but they can't force anyone to do anything in a case like this.
Also, consider the fact of taking an officer out of the field for something that doesn't involve them. Some localities only have so many LE in the field to cover a broad area. Just because we have the ability to call does not mean we should......That officer may have been needed elsewhere to save someones life or to stop a "real" crime from happening.....

Sorry to hear about the screw up - it really sucks. It's not a criminal matter, though, it's a civil issue. Law Enforcement can't do anything about it legally. A well drafted letter from a lawyer will likely light a fire under the shop, though. If the shop has trouble getting the bumpers back from the guy they gave them to, then that's a civil issue between the shop and that guy. Your issue is with the shop and theirs is with the guy with the bumpers and/or their employee who gave them to him. Good luck and keep us posted.
It might be criminal if the employee was in cahoots with the guy he "gave" the bumpers to. Not just theft, but probably conspiracy too. I would call the cops. Nothing to lose at this stage by doing so.

Auto Transport Service
Back