• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those of u that have a 62 tire/ wheel question

XMAN JR

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Those of you out there that have a 62 dodge or Plymouth. What rear tire/ wheel combo do you have ? What for BS ? How much clearance do you have between the tire and leaf spring ?

CAUTION : this may or may not be helpful. 62savoy, i run three different sets of rear tires,depending on use. On the street i run 255/70/15 TA radial on a 8" steelie (wether it is custom or ramcharger, i don't know ) .They have 4 1/2 b.s.,and lots of room to the spring, and 1/2 to the fender. I also run 10.50/15 mt bias slicks on 8.5 centerline auto drags, 28" tall, 4 7/8 bs . These require 1/8 and 3/16 spacers. Very little clearance anywhere but enough to race. Also have 10.00/28/16 Hoosier bias slicks on polished torque thrust two,8.5 with 4.75 bs. They fit better but still need spacers. Now, why I may not help. I THINK it's a 65 b body 8.75, not a 62, and I KNOW it's moved back an inch for tire clearance to the front of the wheelwell. That's the best info I have.

Cooper Cobras
225/70/15 on 7"w 4 1/4" BS (fronts)
275/60/15 on 8"w 4 1/2" BS (rears)

Had to use 1/4" spacers on the rears so a 4 1/4" back space would have been ideal. (Factory width rear axle)

Here's more combos by members.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/lets-see-your-stance-tire-combo.41504/
Here is what I am doing to my dads 62 polara. I bought 15x8.5 rear rims w/ 3.81 BS w/ 275/60/15 nitto drag radials. I put them on & they rubbed the quarter lip ALOT. Come to find out the rear in the car was out of an 65-67 Bbody. They are 1 inch wider than the 62-63s. So I have coming an DANA rear that is 571/4 wide. In which is 1 1/4 narrower than the factory width for that year. I am getting the rear cheep so I am hoping it fits.

Here is what I am doing to my dads 62 polara. I bought 15x8.5 rear rims w/ 3.81 BS w/ 275/60/15 nitto drag radials. I put them on & they rubbed the quarter lip ALOT. Come to find out the rear in the car was out of an 65-67 Bbody. They are 1 inch wider than the 62-63s. So I have coming an DANA rear that is 571/4 wide. In which is 1 1/4 narrower than the factory width for that year. I am getting the rear cheep so I am hoping it fits.

You have to do the math useing a straight edge against the drum. I thought I had plenty of room between the wheel and leaf spring but I didn't really think the tire stuck out past the rim as much as it did once mounted. Well it did so I needed a spacer. Live and learn. The 275/60 can have just enough clearance, in and out, if you get it centered just right.

I hear that!

On my 64 Ply, changed things up, and mounted a 67 8 3/4" rear, SS springs, all slipped right in like it belonged. Though, just running stock size tires.

You'll get it.

275xR15 nitto extreme drag radials with 8" and 4"bs. With a 67 or 68 Dana 60 b-body on a 65 Dodge Coronet. Can just fit fingers between tire and lip.
1965 Dodge 006.JPG

I hear that!

On my 64 Ply, changed things up, and mounted a 67 8 3/4" rear, SS springs, all slipped right in like it belonged. Though, just running stock size tires.

You'll get it.
That's what my dad put in his 62 ( 67 B body 8 3/4 ) but it was to wide. The 65-67 rears are 1 inch wider than the 62-63 rears. That size tire rubbed the quarter lip. Alot

I hear that!

You'll get it.[/Q

The Mickey Thompson Pro bracket radial 275/60X15 (larger than a normal 275) on 10" rim will fit if you move the stock hangers flush to the rail.
Doug
Scott at Quaker.jpg

That's what my dad put in his 62 ( 67 B body 8 3/4 ) but it was to wide.
Mine is a 64 Plymouth, your's a 62 Dodge, so that's where the difference is. Wheels are stock 64 model police 15x8". Not that it helps, but my rear is also out of a Dodge.

Mine is a 64 Plymouth, your's a 62 Dodge, so that's where the difference is.
Hmmm...you got me curious, so did a quick search.
62-70 B-bodies are all the same length. Spring perch is 44". So, my statement was wrong on that. Just wanted to keep my facts right.

I pulled this off internet search, not a guarantee there're right. Lower B-body is width drum to drum.

Bbody1.JPG
Bbodyw.JPG

Hmmm...you got me curious, so did a quick search.
62-70 B-bodies are all the same length. Spring perch is 44". So, my statement was wrong on that. Just wanted to keep my facts right.
Yes the spring perch width is all the same. The drum to drum width is not. I learned that the hard way.

The 275/60 can have just enough clearance, in and out, if you get it centered just right.
Getting it measured in would be the key, and if the rear axle is right, getting the correct back spaced rims will put things in place.
Easy to say, looking at a computer screen!

I flat wasn't sure. But, if that 8 3/4" rear is for a B-body, no reason it won't work. Even if, as mentioned, you use offset hangers and shackles, and move the springs in. Bunch of work.

(All my work is on Plymouths.)

Getting it measured in would be the key, and if the rear axle is right, getting the correct back spaced rims will put things in place.
Easy to say, looking at a computer screen!

I flat wasn't sure. But, if that 8 3/4" rear is for a B-body, no reason it won't work. Even if, as mentioned, you use offset hangers and shackles, and move the springs in. Bunch of work. The clearance issues I had was on the outside because the 65-67 rears are 1 inch wider. Not all Bbody rears are the same width. Not all B body rears are the same width. The clearance issues I had was on the outside.

(All my work is on Plymouths.)

Auto Transport Service
Back