• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to paint, do I have enough?

70rrclone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm planning on painting the car this weekend. I have 2 gals sprayable basecoat and 2.5 gals sprayable clear.
Base is cromax and clear is chromaclear 7900s. Is this do do the outside os a 70 satellite? All jams are done. It's a pepper gray color. Should I mix the base and reducer in one container or mix as I go? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This will be a first overall for me.

Thanks!
Shane

Did you sand it to bare metal, do the body work and epoxy primer? You should be able to cover it with 2 gallons, if everything goes well.
You may be underestimating the amount of time necessary. Is the car stripped down, or does it have all the windows etc still in it? Are you painting the engine compartment, trunk, floor? You can spend several hours just taping off, wiping down and all that. Cleaning the paint gun can take some time to make sure it sprays right. I had my car at the painters for 2 or 3 weeks, that is after I did all the major , stripping , sanding, taping and body work myself.

It's a rolling shell in primer. The jams have been done since this pic. I'm sure it will still take more time to do than I think.

Screenshot_20230531_130053_Gallery.jpg

It's been in primer for quite a while. It sits in the garage if that matters. Blocked yes. Sealed no

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I have a lot more work left than I thought.....

Do you have anyone to lean on for pointers? There's so much that goes into proper prep work prior to painting, most of which is to minimize dust. I always wash the whole entire car with dish soap and water the day before, this will not only clean it but minimize dust from blowing up out of the cowl, jams and every other crevice. Keeping your floor wet and setting up a plastic booth is extremely helpful, not only does it keep dust out but the static from the plastic attracts dust away from the car as well. When you're finally set to go wipe it down with final wash, let it dry then take a tack cloth to it.

A nice thing about base is it dries insanely fast, if you're spraying and get a run or maybe a fly lands in it you can wait 5 minutes, touch it up with some 400 grit wet sandpaper, hit it again and keep going. Just something to keep in mind Incase something goes south on you.

As far as amounts go, it really depends on how well it covers. I'm not familiar with what you're using but when using PPG, if you go with their cheap Omni brand you can garrantee at least a whole extra coat maybe even 2 compared to their top of the line product for the same coverage. 2 gallons of sprayable quality paint will likely be plenty, budget paint????

Last edited:
Yeah budget paint is not really cheaper than quality materials. Took 4 gallons of Summit single stage Orange no metalic to cover the Duster. Then cleared after. If you pick up a gal of quality paint then the cheap stuff you can feel the weight difference. More solids in the good stuff. 4 gal on a Duster Holy Cow Batman.

Do you have anyone to lean on for pointers? There's so much that goes into proper prep work prior to painting, most of which is to minimize dust. I always wash the whole entire car with dish soap and water the day before, this will not only clean it but minimize dust from blowing up out of the cowl, jams and every other crevice. Keeping your floor wet and setting up a plastic booth is extremely helpful, not only does it keep dust out but the static from the plastic attracts dust away from the car as well. When you're finally set to go wipe it down with final wash, let it dry then take a tack cloth to it.

A nice thing about base is it dries insanely fast, if you're spraying and get a run or maybe a fly lands in it you can wait 5 minutes, touch it up with some 400 grit wet sandpaper, hit it again and keep going. Just something to keep in mind Incase something goes south on you.

As far as amounts go, it really depends on how well it covers. I'm not familiar with what you're using but when using PPG, if you go with their cheap Omni brand you can garrantee at least a whole extra coat maybe even 2 compared to their top of the line product for the same coverage. 2 gallons of sprayable quality paint will likely be plenty, budget paint????
Yeah 2 gallons of PPG Deltron covered mine from front to back, inside and out and may I add the PPG VC5700 Ditzler custom clear is some awesome stuff lol

I recommend activating the basecoat. It makes touch-ups much easier because the existing basecoat won’t lift or pucker when you spot in the new basecoat.

Read the data sheet or ask your paint jobber to determine what to use to activate it.

It depends entirely on type of spray gun you use. Old type HP sprays 60% into the air, turbine type HVLP 95% on the car! I painted my race car (70 Cuda) in 1-1/2 hours using same HVLP cup gun, base, pearl and clear. Bought Dupont paint, 3/4 gallon of base a quart of pearl and a gallon of clear and still had half of that left. I have 1-1/2 gallon of single stage silver for the 66 Belvedere and for the Duster 1 gallon of white base and 1 gallon of clear. After 35 years using the same gun and turbine in my cabinet business I know how far paint goes. This turbine has the garden hose and puts out 2-7 psi depending on how much I open the flow valve. Only mix what goes in the cup each time, reducer is NOT a problem but the hardner will have to be put in each time imo so you don’t lose any. I did the Cuda in the house garage and zero overspray on other stuff in there. The nozzle tips go from .07 to .14 for any thickness

Auto Transport Service
Back