• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coating the inside of doors / trunk lids etc

Moparmayhem

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Hope your having a good holiday weekend.

My son and I are trying to figure out how to and what to use to coat the inside of doors and trunk lids.
We are almost ready for prime on these and just want to do it right. We have put a lot of time into this restore and don't want to muck it up now.

Also I am attaching a photo of an idea my son wants to do to his hood. This is for a 74 Charger and he wants something different but doesn't want to be crazy.
I measured his hood drew it up in Solidworks, then rendered this picture for review
He is planning on painting the scoop flat black, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

74 Hood Scoop 2.JPG

What's your budget? I used undercoating inside the lower half of my doors. Trunk lids would be body color underneath. Have you considered a '71 Charger "Ram Charger" hood?

Hi PurpleBeeper,

Thanks for the response, I will check out the Ram charger Hood.
I meant the inside between the inner and outer skins to try and stop the rust.

Thanks,
Moparmayhem

Hi PurpleBeeper,

Thanks for the response, I will check out the Ram charger Hood.
I meant the inside between the inner and outer skins to try and stop the rust.

Thanks,
Moparmayhem
I used a lot of Eastwoods' internal frame coating. It wicks into lapped sheet metal joints.
Mike

You can check out 3M cavity wax, or a company called Rustfre sells some different kinds too. They work very good because they have a long wand on them so you can direct it, where you want it.

Is the outer trunk lid skin supposed to be glued (for lack of better words) to the inner frame? Like the hood is fixed to it's frame. My skin just bounces around and I don't think that
would be good for the paint

Always appreciative,
Moparmayhem

Is the outer trunk lid skin supposed to be glued (for lack of better words) to the inner frame? Like the hood is fixed to it's frame. My skin just bounces around and I don't think that
would be good for the paint

Always appreciative,
Moparmayhem

1688482491022.png

I've enjoyed nice results using a product called Gator Skin.

Hi Rishi,
Yep, I will be using that on my sheet metal.
I'm looking for more of an adhesive to keep the trunk lid stuck to the frame so no bouncing.

Thanks again,
Moparmayhem

Regarding the hood scoop, if it were me, I would paint it body color, so it looks more OEM, but still subtle and bad ***.

I used a lot of Eastwoods' internal frame coating. It wicks into lapped sheet metal joints.
Mike
Agree, used it as well on my '63. Be careful with the wand, I protected surfaces in proximity I didn't want the stuff to get on. Once it is on - it's ON. And have GOOD ventilation.

As eldub440 says.... that 3m NVH Dampening material is what you want to use

Auto Transport Service
Back