• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire/Wheel size advice

Greg Luhowiak

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Looking to swap out 14” Magnum wheels to 15” with redline radials. 69 Coronet R/T all stock. Figuring a 15x6 on front and 15x8 on the back? Not sure the best combo to go with and the proper backspacing. Not a race car so don’t need huge rubber in the back but want to fill the wheel well up without sticking out or worse yet, scraping. Need a new look for Carlisle this year! If anybody has a pic or two of their set up that would be great. It’s going to be pricey so I don’t want to screw it up. Thanks!

15x7 with a 4 - 4.25 backspace on the front is fairly common, but a 6" will work just fine also. 15x8 on the rear with 4.5" backspace and 275/60's are about perfect. You can fit 10" wide on the rear, but the backspace needs to be spot on. 225/70's on the front are a good match as far as height goes with 275's on the rear.

I run 235/60/15 on a 15x7 front and 275/60/15 on a 15x8 in the rear. Just like Hunt2elk said, that seems to be a pretty good combo but the 15x6 will work on the front for sure. I would run a 215/70 ish size on front if going with the 15x6 rim. If you decide to step up to a 15x7 front, then go with a 225/70 or a 235/60 for a squattier look.

carlisle2.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg

Thanks, guys. I think I’ll go with the 15x7 in the front as suggested. Charger looks great! This helped tremendously and can’t wait to get the new shoes!

Has anyone ever tried a P215/75R15 tire? A 75 series tire would give you lower RPMS at speed. Are there clearance problems with the front wheels with a 75 series tire?

I bought my 1968 Charger with 8inch wide steel slots all around and trust me that they are too big in the front and rub on the control arm when I turn too fast. I am looking for someone that has two 7 inch for sale or want to trade these two 8's they can put in the back for two 7's. The tire size I have is 245/60/15 in the front and 275/60/15 in the rear and they look and fit well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back