• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

too much crankcase pressure

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going through my car (1967 Plymouth GTX, 440, 4 speed) since April and fixing everything I had a problem or didn't like from last year. Work is going slow as I have a 3 years old and a 2 months baby. Finish doing pretty much everything I want inside, went through all the wiring and finally got to the engine bay.

now for my question, I've noticed from last year that I always had what appear to be oil on the intake manifold, in the area where it looks like a cup, so there would be a puddle in there from time to time, and it seems to come from the carb, so I suppose I was having too much crankcase pressure, am I right?

I remember that when I was going down from a big mountain, the oil pressure light went on from time to time, especially when I was braking.

now, I've just started on the engine bay, so I only had time to remove the radiator, and the battery tray which needs some painting, other than that I planned to:
- do a leak down test - could it be the rings?
- check the PCV valve - maybe try to clean it up?

do you have any idea what that could be? or something else that I should check?

Thanks!

Sounds like the oil is'nt draining back down to the pan.

Make sure it’s not just oil coming up through and intake bolt.

Hi,
I'm going through my car (1967 Plymouth GTX, 440, 4 speed) since April and fixing everything I had a problem or didn't like from last year. Work is going slow as I have a 3 years old and a 2 months baby. Finish doing pretty much everything I want inside, went through all the wiring and finally got to the engine bay.

now for my question, I've noticed from last year that I always had what appear to be oil on the intake manifold, in the area where it looks like a cup, so there would be a puddle in there from time to time, and it seems to come from the carb, so I suppose I was having too much crankcase pressure, am I right?

I remember that when I was going down from a big mountain, the oil pressure light went on from time to time, especially when I was braking.

now, I've just started on the engine bay, so I only had time to remove the radiator, and the battery tray which needs some painting, other than that I planned to:
- do a leak down test - could it be the rings?
- check the PCV valve - maybe try to clean it up?

do you have any idea what that could be? or something else that I should check?

Thanks!

What carb?

What intake?

Exactly where and how many locations? Maybe some pictures

Well first thing. Do notice any oil consumption or blue smoke from the exhaust? How does it run on idle? Any miss fires or stumbling in rpm? If the engine has been gone through, the pcv valve should have been replaced. For how inexpensive it is, its a no brainer. You could also upgrade to catch can until you figure out what is going on. Clogged pcv valve will damage the seals on the rest of the motor if not rectified. Is your intake manifold aluminum by chance? If you torqued it a bit too much they have been known to warp.

I had a similar situation. I'd get a small amount of oil resting below the carburetor. I had forgot to coat the threads of the intake bolts with a non hardening sealant as shown in the service manual. I also had the bolts set too loose.

I took a fast look yesterday, and that could be it.

thank you guys for the ideas! Time is short, so hopefully, soon I'll have time to fix it. currently restoring the heater box assembly and fixing the last electrical problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back