• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqueflite Exploded on Freeway

Nope. The lower roller clutch is used in 1st gear only. They get a bad rap.
Doug
There is only one last time I checked and its in the back no upper no lower some have splines some have bolts

There is only one last time I checked and its in the back no upper no lower some have splines some have bolts
Never said there was more than one roller clutch. What do you mean " no upper, no lower:? No 727 has a bolted in outer cam (outer portion of the roller clutch) from the factory. In any case the low roller is free wheeling in 3rd gear. So to answer the statement made by a few who have posted here. The low roller would have nothing to contribute to a failure in 3rd gear.
Doug

Doug, I think you meant the "low gear" roller clutch. A bit of confusion. I agree still isn't cause of failure IMHO.

origcharger said:
Years ago I had a rear ujoint cup get loose at about 60 mph. It also broke the trans tail housing and bent the tailshaft. Driveshaft never became disconnected so there was enough vibration that i remember my interior rear view mirror rotating. I do believe the tail housing broke immediately as the smoke from fluid on the exhaust was instantaneous

Overrun clutch

How so? Driveshaft/ujoint never escaped the /straps/ubolts, no transmission or engine over speeding, just severe out of balance as driveshaft went off center of pinion yoke.

origcharger said:
Years ago I had a rear ujoint cup get loose at about 60 mph. It also broke the trans tail housing and bent the tailshaft. Driveshaft never became disconnected so there was enough vibration that i remember my interior rear view mirror rotating. I do believe the tail housing broke immediately as the smoke from fluid on the exhaust was instantaneous

How so? Driveshaft/ujoint never escaped the /straps/ubolts, no transmission or engine over speeding, just severe out of balance as driveshaft went off center of pinion yoke.
Thats something to check into

Glad YOU are OK!
Here is an option I like & need to install:
http://www.manciniracing.com/bofrdrlo.html
I have that on my 70 440+6bbl manual transmission Roadrunner AND after a LOT of shopping and comparisons, STRANGE ENGINEERING by FAR had the best price for a chromoly steel driveshaft and slip yoke with 1350 solid U-joints!

STRANGE ENGINEERING by FAR had the best price for a chromoly steel driveshaft and slip yoke with 1350 solid U-joints!
I am so impressed with Strange price, quality, strength, and tech support, as well as production time, I got American Powertrain to refund our credit they held for a driveshaft from them, as part of a TKO600 transmission package, so I could apply that to a Strange driveshaft!
If you are interested, start here:
https://www.strangeengineering.net/...ome-moly-driveshaft-with-h-d-u-joints-2.html/

Take a look at USCartool's DS loop...theirs bolts onto the crossmember... nice unit.

the weak link in a 727 is the sprag unit which is in near the tail shaft . you can have it milled out and a steel casing put in so it dont do that . if you manually shift up thru the gears or down thru the gears this will put all the stress on this part of the tranny .

My guess is at 100 mph full throttle his actual rpm's were a tad higher than being told. Unless you have gone over every component of your drive train driving at this speed in a 50 year old vehicle is inviting disaster.

Glad we just did this last week.

IMG_1660.jpeg

the weak link in a 727 is the sprag unit which is in near the tail shaft . you can have it milled out and a steel casing put in so it dont do that . if you manually shift up thru the gears or down thru the gears this will put all the stress on this part of the tranny .
I enjoy shifting my Cheetah reverse pattern VB. It just coasts when I select 1, slowing down in 2nd.
Mike

Thinking the shaft-parts too, in high gear front clutch is the only thing in use, stuff behind is ‘just there’. Way out there drum could of been cracked and finally let go at speed. At that speed-rpm, things happen faster then we do so it’s hard to tell what came first, just a bang.

Here if you do an 20% increase in motor power driveshaft hoop is compulsory. and depending on set up more than one, Seeing this I'm gals as the 318 is coming out later in the year and 440 going in, funny thing if the car is original 440 it doesnt need one

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back