• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down owners

blownalcoholhemihead

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
Do Any of you guys know how you can track down the names of previous owners cars. For history purposes and to find out how many people owned it prior to yourself. ?

Some states can do a title search for ya. But if yours doesn't do that, or if the car has changed states then you'll be kinda limited in what you can find

I attempted to do this for my GTX; a RI car (full of rust) but the DMV in RI was less than helpful!

Start with the person you last bought it from.Does he remember who he bought it from?If not does he remember what town?If its a small town and a car you think some may remember go to that town and start asking around.I have tracked down past owners on about 4 of my cars.I found the original owner of my 68 GTS last Oct.I tracked down the guy who owned it in the mid 90's.He could not remember who he bought it from but remembered the town.The towns population is 4000 or so.They had a small car show in that town and I made up some flyers and took the car.I was there 45 min and ran into 3 people who remembered the car.The last person was the original owners brother in law.
Also look for old paperwork in the car Insurance cars sometimes fall under the seats.Does it still have a dealer sticker or emblem on the rear of the car?
Good luck it takes alot of detective work and sometimes its hopeless.
Jim

They guy I bought it from in 2000 said it was his friends car, and they 'drove' it for many years. Well, in tearing into the car was a bit of detective work in itself! When the floor integrity was sacrificed, then, salt/water/sludge from RI roads in winter started to seep in and moistened everything inside; under the dash, and all over the inside of the trunk. It looked/looks like the car was below water for several years! The car was definitely abused, and neglected!

Sounds like you need to start with the guys friend.If you can track him down ask who and where he got it. Jim

Start with the person you last bought it from.Does he remember who he bought it from?If not does he remember what town?If its a small town and a car you think some may remember go to that town and start asking around.I have tracked down past owners on about 4 of my cars.I found the original owner of my 68 GTS last Oct.
Jim

That's how I tracked down the previous owners of my GTX... all except the original owner who was a "state trooper in Minnesota". That's all the 2nd owner remembers. Now I'm stuck.:banghead:

Wow, tall order as I wonder if that shop is still around...I have the sales receipt, might be worth a shot!

Auto Transport Service
Back