• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec 5 speed conversion in a 1970 Charger

What I meant was, The other 4 speed conversions that I did were done by swapping in the entire clutch and brake pedal setup with the brackets and linkage all included.
This is a collection of original and reproduction parts. SST didn't include that part and it is not on their list yet they state to install a new clutch pad at the beginning of the instructions.

I ordered the clutch pedal "Up Stop" from a vendor that operates from Madera CA, a guy I've called "E-Body Ed" for years. I first called Classic Industries and their wait time was 25 minutes. Another vendor had an outgoing message directing customers to their website. Screw that....I want to talk with a person.
I didn't think that Ed would have this in stock but he did.

I was looking to mount the clutch master cylinder.
SST 99.JPG

It bolts through the firewall using 3 bolts. There is a gasket visible above. The gold cadmium colored plate is a stiffener that lays aginst the firewall from the inside.

SST 105.jpg

Here is the next problem. See how the gold plate sits above the oval opening? The 1/0 battery cable sits in the way of the master cylinder assembly so I have to reroute it. This is another artifact of my 2013 wiring upgrades where I thought I'll never convert this car to a manual transmission, I'll just put the wires right here.

I might see if there is enough slack to pass through between the steering column and the gas pedal assembly. That would actually give a straight shot to the starter where this cable goes. Currently, the cable makes a zig-zag on the engine side. It clears the exhaust and brake lines now and would only be better if it had a straight shot. The drawback there is that the cable has to lay on the floor below the brake and clutch pedals. I wonder if that would ever pose a problem.....Carpet will cover so maybe I am worrying for nothing. The cable is only live during cranking anyway.

I ordered the clutch pedal "Up Stop" from a vendor that operates from Madera CA, a guy I've called "E-Body Ed" for years. I first called Classic Industries and their wait time was 25 minutes. Another vendor had an outgoing message directing customers to their website. Screw that....I want to talk with a person.
I didn't think that Ed would have this in stock but he did.
Ummm.....Brewer's??
www.brewersperformance.com

Sometimes an obstacle is encountered and the remedy results in a better way to go.

SST 105.jpg

This cable was rerouted to go over the steering column as mentioned before. I'm always nervous about drilling holes in this car so I looked at both sides numerous times before making the hole.

SST 500.jpg

As I stated, the 1/0 cable was in a position where it would have been fine had I kept the car an automatic.
SST 107.JPG

That black threaded plastic collar serves as the protective "grommet" through the firewall. The new hole will also use the same thing.
The starter bolts are not easy to reach but the top one can be accessed through the LF wheelwell by reaching through the alignment window.

SST 108.JPG
SST 109.JPG

call SST...that part should be in the kit

watermelon
I already ordered one from another vendor. I agree though, it should have been included BUT it is not on their parts list.

The cable will be routed through the firewall between the steering column and gas pedal bracket.

SST 110.jpg

I just learned how to do that with pictures....add the "paint" type markings.

Reroute.....

SST 112.JPG
SST 113.JPG

Now, will the gas pedal interfere?

SST 114.JPG
SST 115.JPG

Nope, clears by a mile.
I did test fit the pedal before drilling. I'm trying to avoid stupid mistakes!

The cable comes through the firewall at a slight angle but will still be a better route than before.

SST 116.JPG
SST 117.JPG

There is enough slack to run the cable to the starter with enough play to allow for engine movement.

I really need to do some cleaning in the engine bay!

Speaking of the steering column - what are your plans (if any) for it?
Is the gear selector lever or any of that going to get in the way of anything?

All 1970 models seemed to have this:
SST 107.JPG

That 3/16" thick offset lever. It was part of the ignition interlock where the key in the column couldn't be turned from LOCK unless the transmission was in PARK (In automatic cars) or REVERSE in manual transmission cars. The 5 speed has no provisions for such an interface. I could cut that lever off at the column edge but it won't be in the way of anything. I may use this column in Jigsaw though. I have a Cordoba tilt column that I may use in this car. Tilt wheel is a great feature!

All 1970 models seemed to have this:
View attachment 1054069
That 3/16" thick offset lever. It was part of the ignition interlock where the key in the column couldn't be turned from LOCK unless the transmission was in PARK (In automatic cars) or REVERSE in manual transmission cars. The 5 speed has no provisions for such an interface. I could cut that lever off at the column edge but it won't be in the way of anything. I may use this column in Jigsaw though. I have a Cordoba tilt column that I may use in this car. Tilt wheel is a great feature!
Tilt wheel sounds great , will you be able to use your original steering wheel though?
Btw thanks for this thread, I am very interested to see how it goes.
I chose the easy route on my gtx using passon's 4 speed od kit with .08 od.
With 3.55 gear and 28 inch tall tires it now feels like a "normal car" to drive, I know I slowed it down quite a bit but it's still plenty of fun.
The way you are going is going will be the best of both, I just couldn't cut my floor on a v code car.

Last edited:
Tilt wheel sounds great , will you be able to use your original steering wheel though?
The original wheel is green but this wheel.....

R T 16.jpg

Will fit with an adapter similar to what is on the car now.

Thanks. I know the purists don't care for it but yeah, it feels much thicker and softer than a stock wheel.

Nice work on the re-route of the 1/0 cable. I also don't like drilling holes unnecessarily which is why I repurposed the clutch linkage grommet. Using the steering column for support is a nice touch.

Thanks for ANOTHER great thread Greg!! If this becomes a sticky I think I will stop chatting with you. :poke:

All kidding aside, I love your informative descriptions, makes life so much easier for the next guy to tackle that project.
What is your end game goal for "Jigsaw"?
Now watching!!

Thanks for ANOTHER great thread Greg!! If this becomes a sticky I think I will stop chatting with you. :poke:

All kidding aside, I love your informative descriptions, makes life so much easier for the next guy to tackle that project.
What is your end game goal for "Jigsaw"?
Now watching!!
Jigsaw will be the ratty looking "Little Brother" to Ginger.
It will have the original 383, a 727, 3.55 gears, 2 1/4" exhaust, smaller torsion bars and sway bars, smaller tires and wheels....Essentially a 3/4 scale version of the red car....for now. I have plans eventually for body and paint in my favorite Mopar color:

Blue 2.jpg
Blue 4.jpg

Jigsaw will be the ratty looking "Little Brother" to Ginger.
It will have the original 383, a 727, 3.55 gears, 2 1/4" exhaust, smaller torsion bars and sway bars, smaller tires and wheels....Essentially a 3/4 scale version of the red car....for now. I have plans eventually for body and paint in my favorite Mopar color:

View attachment 1054603 View attachment 1054604
I love the B5 blue, and pair it with those Cragar SS rims...AWESOME!!! Next time I am in Atwater, we need to have lunch.

Auto Transport Service
Back