• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal and brake light issue

67MPRFAN

Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
Hello all on my 67 belvedere the left side rear turn signal and brake light doesn't work tail light works fine hazards on the left side just barely flickers, I switched bulbs from left to right and still same problem also replace the brake switch on the column. The housing is pot metal so would running a ground wire to it help .. Thanks for the help

Brake lamp circuit goes through the turn signal switch, yes. The contacts in the switch are typically small brass rivets and can get hot enough to melt the nylon around them causing a faulty connection. They can get hot from sitting for a prolonged time with the brakes on. Sometimes you can fix the factory switch, but it is usually much simpler and practical to replace it with something new.

Little known fact. The front and rear turn signals are on completely separate circuits going through the same switch. The front circuit controls the front signals and dash/fender indicators. The rear controls the brake lamps and rear signal lamps (usually the same element in the bulb).
jus sayin....

Had a similar symptom and turned out it was a minor adjustment in the ts switch as mentioned.

As posted, often it can be a ground gremlin and had a few issues with mine after the car was painted and I had rebuilt all of the housings - new tail light gaskets, rear harness, etc. I had a problem with my right tail light/brake light flickering and after checking all connections, put a test ground jumper from the light to a ground inside the trunk. That solved it so installed short ground wire from the light to a trim stud nearby that provided a solid ground. Also check your bulb housing sockets for corrosion and wiring insulation/condition if you haven't checked...

Thanks for the info I did buy a new socket from O'Reilly's yesterday just haven't tried it yet. I will add the ground wire to see if that works, I'm leaning towards the TS switch just because the front light gets bright when I turn on the signal, back light does nothing

Since the parking lights are working and that's the same bulb it's not a ground issue. The problems lies elsewhere.

I agree not sure where to start with. I did buy a replacement socket from O'Reilly's just haven't tried it yet

Since the parking lights are working and that's the same bulb it's not a ground issue. The problems lies elsewhere.

Update :::: I know it's been awhile on this post but messing around in the garage and wiggled the coupler in the picture and everything started working will dig into it when it's a little warmer but thought this could help someone with similar issue

0208211940.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back