• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on my Daytona clone project

hotrod98

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting closer by the day. The heat has finally gone away and I can get back to the painting process. I've been working on this project for a couple of months and it feels like it's taking forever.
I moved the car out into the yard today and washed it inside and out prior to moving it into the booth for taping.
I removed the rims and placed the car up on jack stands. Helps keep the dirt from blowing up on the car. I knew I should have bought a down draft booth. Oh well, too late. As soon as I get some new exhaust filters, I'll start painting. Maybe tomorrow...I hope.
My wife is in one of the pics holding her new puppy. She's anxious for me to complete this daytona clone so I can mover her superbird clone project into the shop.
More pics later.

cloneinyard002.jpg

cloneinbooth001.jpg

cloneinbooth002.jpg

cloneinbooth003.jpg

cloneinbooth004.jpg

Firtst it was going to be red with white wing and stripe, then black, then red again and now...black. This car is a real triple black R/T SE. My wife and I decided that it needs to stay triple black. Only now, the third part of the triple black is the Daytona stripe.
More pics soon.

Firtst it was going to be red with white wing and stripe, then black, then red again and now...black. This car is a real triple black R/T SE. My wife and I decided that it needs to stay triple black. Only now, the third part of the triple black is the Daytona stripe.
More pics soon.

damn i was really hoping RED but black will be ok

It was a tough decision, but the majority won.

Hey,
Sublime Green...I sold a 70 Barracuda convertible to a state trooper in Maryland by the name of John Stone. I wonder if he ever got that one finished. Look for him at car shows in that part of the world.

It was a tough decision, but the majority won.

Hey,
Sublime Green...I sold a 70 Barracuda convertible to a state trooper in Maryland by the name of John Stone. I wonder if he ever got that one finished. Look for him at car shows in that part of the world.

I thought black was a minority

Really, what part?im in southern md

I don't remember. It's been a few years. I contacted him a couple of years ago when I found his number in my desk and he said that he had just brought it up to the house from a barn that he had stored it in and was starting the resto. Sure wish that I had kept that car. I never thought that we would see the repop sheet metal that we're seeing now.

Doesn't every one wish they kept there old cars, imagine if you were one who had one of them 71 hemi cuda converts and sold it, you'd kick yourself to death, thats not me though, but my dad traded in his 73 340 duster back in 78? that he wishes he had back but now we have got 2 dusters in the garage.

Spent part of the day in the booth. The basecoat is applied and I'll be going back in to add the clearcoat shortly. Pro Spray basecoat stays open for several hours when you use the 1:1 method of mixing. By waiting a while before applying clearcoat, the basecoat solvents have time to evaporate properly. Less chance of getting solvent pop or blushing. It's almost too humid to be painting today, but it's supposed to be raining for the next week or so. I was running out of options.

cloneinbooth005.jpg

cloneinbooth006.jpg

To keep the build up of paint to a minimum. Too much paint and the drip rail moldings won't go back on.

It has a 440 in it that was built just a few years ago. The car runs and drives. I have disk brakes for the front and a rebuild kit for the front suspension. I just bought all new leather interior for it. I'll start painting the rest of the parts as soon as I've wet sanded and buffed the areas that need it. I did get a little bit of trash in it.
Here's a couple of pics with the clear applied. I just got out of the booth less than an hour ago.
The clear laid down nice. Hope it doesn't dye back.

cloneinbooth010.jpg

cloneinbooth011.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back