• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using a NASCAR Ignition/Starter Set Up

Bruzilla

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
I've always wanted to add a NASCAR-type ignition/starter panel to my 74 Roadrunner and delete the use of the column key lock. So if I wanted to do that, what wires in the column would I need to cut and splice into the ignition and starter switches?

I'm thinking one toggle switch for the accessory voltage, one for run voltage, and the push button for the starter.

Got room for something like this? I kinda dig this myself
44535.jpg

There are several companies that make Ignition & Start switch panels and they are easy to install without cutting up your existing harness. You want to avoid that if possible because replacing a harness is costly and a lot of work. Keeping the key and the "on" function is a good idea otherwise it would be much easier for someone to steal your car. Otherwise, now you're going to have to rig a battery cutoff switch.
As for everything else, your car has two types of power feeds. Un-switched is for everything that does not need the key (lights, horn etc). Switched is everything that needs the key to operate (ignition, starter, radio, AC, heater fan, wipers etc). Trying to run the rest of your car's un-switched needs through a single toggle is not a good idea. First you'll have a hard time finding a toggle that will safely carry the amps. You would probably need to split the feeds (multiple toggles like the one above from Hemi Rebel) to everything else to share the load. It just isn't as simple as saying "just cut this one wire here and attach it to this and cut this other wire and attach it to that."
On the other hand, if you really want a switch panel to operate everything, companies like Painless, QuickCar, K&R Performance and others make complete race car wiring kits but this means your cars switches are not usable anymore.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1974/74SatelliteRoadRunnerA.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1974/74SatelliteRoadRunnerB.JPG

I already have a hidden switch wired into the ignition that cuts power to the coil for theft prevention.

What I was thinking was a panel set up along the lines of what HR posted. The more switches the better. Also, since I've done the headlight relay modification I'm thinking I might add a relay for the wipers and blower motor as well. They're a cheap and easy mod and a great way to reduce the amount of current flowing through the firewall.

Hmmm... mounting the switches over head? That's an interesting idea. I installed an overhead console in the last 73 Roadrunner I had. It had my gauges and CB radio mounted in it and I really liked it. Having the start and power controls here might be a cool mod. :) Reminds me of how we used to start the engines on the P-3Cs I used to fly on.

Auto Transport Service
Back