• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing Point remake on Youtoob.

When it comes down to a story line, the original was pretty bad and I can’t imagine that the remake is much better.

When it comes down to a story line, the original was pretty bad and I can’t imagine that the remake is much better.
The original, while not exactly a big-budget Hollywood production, did have a pretty compelling narrative.
That said...
I remember how excited a lot of us in the Ma Mopar brotherhood looked forward to the 1997 remake -
and how disappointed we were in the finished result.
I'm sure it was well-intentioned and it does have some cool rides in it, but the writing and directing
was typical TV movie quality.
I've not re-watched it - ever.

The original VP, MO was pretty well made considering the budget. The story line or plot, being left to what viewers could make of it, reflected the 60’s turbulent time. Very clever. I had the same questions the cops and other characters in the flick had watching it – what’s this guy doing, what’s his hurry, and why? Of course, several clues throughout…dead girlfriend, Vietnam vet, maybe suffering from PTS, the misery of being a cop with a pedophile senior partner? Like he never could find the routine grasp, or satisfactory place in life, as is expected. Envious free spirit the cops wanted to crush, beating up the poor blind DJ, even the cop lady saying we’re going to stop him. Did they though? Or was it Kowalski, capped with his peaceful smile as he was accelerating toward the bulldozers focused on the light btw the blades? Then the scan to the others with curious looks on their faces trying to figure out what Kowalski’s motives were.
Yeah, MO’s. I’m sure many others.

Hope the owner of the Challenger had it insured, lol. If Kowalski had delivered it, it would a been a done POS by the time he made Frisco, despite the car smashed into the dozers being a Camaro. That made for a somewhat less sad ending.

A couple of points on the remake....
Those involved in making it must have been MoPar fans. Plenty of em especially in the beginning.
Need to revisit the original but I found it interesting how the 97 remake had gov't feeding false info to the media to justify their actions. Hmmmm?

I watched the first 8 -10 minutes of this just last night. I just couldn't do it. Sorry.

I first saw the 1971 version as a kid on TV sometime before 1980. Later I saw it on VHS when I was in my 20s.
As time goes on, I like it more and more. It isn’t an uplifting movie but does tell a story. The production quality in some scenes could have been better but if you overlooked that, it was better than some give it credit for.
You have to put your mindset into what Kowalski was thinking to appreciate the movie. He was approaching middle age and had dealt with one failure after another until he found his utopia, the point at which it would all disappear and he would finally be happy.
The 1997 version was okay. I still watch it occasionally. Viggo Mortenson mumbles too much for me to understand him.

Last edited:
The original version seems to make more sense when you watch the deleted night scene in the British version of the movie. The scene is a little bizarre, but definitely fills in the blanks.

Cool movie, I like the original better...
some great lines in it &
I love that one crazy cops, takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
his Bumper Sticker on the black 68 Charger R/T

I worked on the remake as ON SET DRESSER and Car visual upkeep management. Also consulted on a few Mopar technicalities. I have my own opinions about this remake, but I do wish an updated modern version could make the waves now. It is time.
PS: I walked away with a few relics. Back up Bumper sticker that I gave to a friend and the original license plate from the chase Charger. I had the Challenger hood from the explosion at the end, but lost it to procrastination in picking it up from storage. Original script and action blueprint to one of the roadblocks. A few pictures on set to say the least.

The director of the original shares some insight of the making of the movie in an old interview:

This edit goes a long ways to help explain the timeline of the original movie.
As many times as I've watched the film and done research on it, this helped with some of the
gray areas I had for the film:

Auto Transport Service
Back