• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vertigo Issue

Sixpactogo

Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
I'm sure I am not the first to deal with Vertigo but it has been hanging on for a week now. The dizziness pretty much goes away when I lie down but I'm getting tired of sleeping most of the day. I went to emergency last Tuesday and the ED told me I have a classic case of Vertigo and sent me home with a 10 day script of Mechlivine or something like that. She told me I should be back to normal in a couple days. Anyone have dealings with this long term? Or advise?

It's Meclizine. My wife got Vertigo really bad 15 years ago. She had some type of virus that gave her vertigo and it claimed hear hearing on one side. She was sick like that for a few weeks. Still to this day every once in a while she feels it coming back and takes a 1/2 pill to correct it. But they just make you really sleepy. Did they try and see if the ear crystals have moved in your ears have "piled up" as that can cause what you are experiencing. Hope you feel better as when my wife had it I was terrified as I really thought there was something serious as in deadly she could barely walk with-out getting sick and Doctor's did not really know what was happening till after the fact.

My wife had an affliction like this years ago and she recovered not having it since. I've heard that inner-ear infections can cause this; but this wasn't what my wife had.

yup had it and it knock me for a loop couldn't go to work for two days that was back in the spring

It's Meclizine. My wife got Vertigo really bad 15 years ago. She had some type of virus that gave her vertigo and it claimed hear hearing on one side. She was sick like that for a few weeks. Still to this day every once in a while she feels it coming back and takes a 1/2 pill to correct it. But they just make you really sleepy. Did they try and see if the ear crystals have moved in your ears have "piled up" as that can cause what you are experiencing. Hope you feel better as when my wife had it I was terrified as I really thought there was something serious as in d
It's Meclizine. My wife got Vertigo really bad 15 years ago. She had some type of virus that gave her vertigo and it claimed hear hearing on one side. She was sick like that for a few weeks. Still to this day every once in a while she feels it coming back and takes a 1/2 pill to correct it. But they just make you really sleepy. Did they try and see if the ear crystals have moved in your ears have "piled up" as that can cause what you are experiencing. Hope you feel better as when my wife had it I was terrified as I really thought there was something serious as in deadly she could barely walk with-out getting sick and Doctor's did not really know what was happening till after the fact.

Thank you. I knew it was Mec something. No the Emergency doc diagnosed it as Vertigo imediately. She mentioned those crystals getting out of place but said they straighten out on their own. It is scary though. I was thinking way more serious thoughts. I was like her, could barely walk and dizzier than a pet coon.

You can try and move those crystals on your own by literally shaking your head to one side multiple times to one side then do the other. Kind of like when you see swimmers trying to get water out of their ear. Also Vertigo can also be a late stage sign of Lyme's disease.

I had it about two years ago; frankly, I didn't quite know what it was because I never had it. A friend told me to try something similar to that maneuver above. What worked for me was to lie on my back on the bed with my head off the edge. I would turn my head to one side and hold it for 30 seconds or so and then turn it to the other side for 30 seconds. I did this for about five minutes and did it two or three times a day; within a week I was good. Good luck to your wife!

I've had it bad before, and it resolved itself, but if I try and lay on my back and work over my head I can trigger an attack. Thank goodness I finally installed a hoist.

I had it off and on for 15 yrs. Tried the crystal thing but did no good. Physical therapy of essentially doing a lot of shaking my head 'no' to a metronome while balancing on a foam brick allowed my brain to relearn. Therapist said a virus can cause enough scar tissue on nerves to change the signal in one ear so the brain gets 2 different signals. The repetitive therapy forces it to relearn 'normal'. I still get a touch of it sometimes but it's better.

I'm sure I am not the first to deal with Vertigo but it has been hanging on for a week now. The dizziness pretty much goes away when I lie down but I'm getting tired of sleeping most of the day. I went to emergency last Tuesday and the ED told me I have a classic case of Vertigo and sent me home with a 10 day script of Mechlivine or something like that. She told me I should be back to normal in a couple days. Anyone have dealings with this long term? Or advise?
Fellow Wisconsinite,
Don't forget to be tested for Lyme's if there is a remote possibility.

About 5 years ago I woke up one morning and I was spinning like crazy. Didn't know about vertigo and my wife was afraid it might be a stroke. Off to ER at Mayo Clinic hospital in phnx. They took me right away and quickly diagnosed it wasn't stroke, but was vertigo. They had someone that was trained to put me thru these maneuvers that will allow the inner ear to pass these crystals that are fooling the brain to think that I was spinning out of control. Had to go thru 3 sets of these maneuvers and it was very intense and at the end left you feeling like someone beat the hell out of you. It worked, no medication of any kind, and I have not had any recurring events. They did show me how to do this at home if does come back.
@ DeltaV referred to it as Home Epley Maneuver, I never heard it called anything. Very scarry event when it happens and you don't know what it is.

My Mom gets vertigo really bad a couple times a year. She goes to a Dr in Eau Claire and they spin her around to get the crystals back where they should be. It sometimes takes 2 appointments.

i developed vertigo after laying around for months healing up from a hernia operation after i retired a few years ago..at 1st didnt know what hit me, it threw me back on the bed when i awoke 1 morning, so bad i had to crawl down the hallway !!

it will eventually self correct on its own but who wants to wait that long..

i continue to do Brandt-Daroff Exercise every couple of weeks to be sure it stays away,,Rolling over in bed is a Big trigger..

here's a link to 4 versions of maneuvers to self treat your vertigo. using these u have to determine Which ear canal is the 1 needing attention...i'm currently using the Brandt-Daroff Exercise periodically to maintain a vertigo free daily life..its hell to get old, not for the weak.

Home Exercises for Vertigo

I had it about two years ago; frankly, I didn't quite know what it was because I never had it. A friend told me to try something similar to that maneuver above. What worked for me was to lie on my back on the bed with my head off the edge. I would turn my head to one side and hold it for 30 seconds or so and then turn it to the other side for 30 seconds. I did this for about five minutes and did it two or three times a day; within a week I was good. Good luck to your wife!
Yeah, I too have never been down this road before. I'm going on 77 years old so attribute some of the issues to that but WOW! What a trip. My sister-in-law has had it and had me try your methods. None have worked so far. When I lie still, it calms down to almost nothing until I try to sit up or stand, then it comes back. Gonna wait it out a couple more days to see if it gets any better. It almost feels like an ear infection but I don't have the pain that goes with it. My wife has been doing a lot more for me than I deserve so I will pass on your Good Luck Wish to her. Thanks again!

i developed vertigo after laying around for months healing up from a hernia operation after i retired a few years ago..at 1st didnt know what hit me, it threw me back on the bed when i awoke 1 morning, so bad i had to crawl down the hallway !!

it will eventually self correct on its own but who wants to wait that long..

i continue to do Brandt-Daroff Exercise every couple of weeks to be sure it stays away,,Rolling over in bed is a Big trigger..

here's a link to 4 versions of maneuvers to self treat your vertigo. using these u have to determine Which ear canal is the 1 needing attention...i'm currently using the Brandt-Daroff Exercise periodically to maintain a vertigo free daily life..its hell to get old, not for the weak.

Home Exercises for Vertigo

Gonna try these now! TKS

I've had it 3 times since 2020. Twice in the last 12 months. The first time it took 6 months to get rid of it using the method for home treatment and meclizine. This spring I had it the worse. I fell down 4 times, once hitting my head on the bathroom counter. I ended up going to a physical therapist for treatments for a month to get rid of it. I've gotten rid of the dizziness, but my sense of balance has never been right since this last episode. My therapist said that once you've had it, it's not unusual for you to have it again within 5 years. If it returns, I'm not going to hesitate to schedule another PT appointment.

Over 20 years ago I was up on a ladder putting stuff in the shop attic and on the way down and stepped to the floor, over I went. The only way that the floor and me met was a car stopped it. Doctor said 'probably' an inner ear infection but there was no signs to me of that happening. Now getting down on a creeper or even laying on the floor to slide under a car, my head spins but stops after about 30 seconds. Getting back up does the same thing and gotta wait a bit. Laying down on a bed or getting up from it isn't a problem though.

Over 20 years ago I was up on a ladder putting stuff in the shop attic and on the way down and stepped to the floor, over I went. The only way that the floor and me met was a car stopped it. Doctor said 'probably' an inner ear infection but there was no signs to me of that happening. Now getting down on a creeper or even laying on the floor to slide under a car, my head spins but stops after about 30 seconds. Getting back up does the same thing and gotta wait a bit. Laying down on a bed or getting up from it isn't a problem though.
i had the same type issues happening, laying down or tilting my head sideways and i could feel it coming on, using the above listed maneuvers cleared it up but as i said doing them a couple of times every week or so keeps it away.

Also i stopped using Q-tips to clean the ear canal, that was a big 1 also because no matter how careful 1 is it will pack in the ear wax and here we go again...

I've had it 3 times since 2020. Twice in the last 12 months. The first time it took 6 months to get rid of it using the method for home treatment and meclizine. This spring I had it the worse. I fell down 4 times, once hitting my head on the bathroom counter. I ended up going to a physical therapist for treatments for a month to get rid of it. I've gotten rid of the dizziness, but my sense of balance has never been right since this last episode. My therapist said that once you've had it, it's not unusual for you to have it again within 5 years. If it returns, I'm not going to hesitate to schedule another PT appointment.
Wow 6 Months! I was whining after a few days. Mine is still hanging on and has not decided which ear is the culprit yet. I can walk without a walker for short distances with lots of concentration on what I am doing but it is no fun. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. I have a few more days of the Meclizine supply before I need to change to plan B. Thanks for your input!

Auto Transport Service
Back