• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wagon suspension advice wanted

bigowhiteboy

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1966 Belvedere wagon with what must be rear shocks from the 70's, they are tired to say the least. I have some bigger tires stuffed in the rear wheel wells, and between their size;
(245/60/r14)and the worn out shocks I get alot of tire rub, mostly from body roll.
My question is what have all you other wagon owners done for rear shocks/ suspension? Looks like my wagon was setup for air shocks at one point, but the lines have been cut. Anyone running air shocks with good results? I would just like to raise the rear a couple inches to give it a better stance, and some improvement in the softness associated with the body roll would be nice as well. How about coil assist shocks, anyone have any experience?
All the air shocks and regular shocks I have found available have an extended length of 22.5" and I was under the impression the wagon shocks are supposed to be 25" extended length.

I ended up running some monroe air shocks for my rear shocks. They definantly stiffen the handling up, but not to much. I have been running them aroud 60 psi, I think their limit is 150 psi. I still have some wheel rub on hard cornering, but not the constant wheel rub I was getting. I guess next thing will be upgrading the leaf springs. Anyone know of any after market heavy duty springs that will fit the 66 Belvedere wagon?

Auto Transport Service
Back