• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wasn't expecting this today.

Riverdawg

Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
Well the dreaded cancer is hitting my family again. Lost my aunt about 5 1/2 years ago due to a second fight with breast cancer. My cousin, her daughter is dealing with skin cancer. My Uncle, my aunt's brother has had skin cancer and recently lung cancer. Well my brother had to have his appendix removed a week ago and on his birthday to boot. From the ultrasound it appeared that it was starting to burst so they ended up doing the appendectomy last Wednesday evening. They found that what looked like was a bursting appendix was actually a soft tissue tumor right near the appendix that was rupturing. The doctor said that he'd only seen a few of these and none of them turned out to be anything.
Well the biopsy results came in today and it's a rare cancer, low grade appendicel mucinos neoplasasmi (say that 3 times fast). Apparently there's only one doctor in MI that even knows how to deal with this too.
I just happened to be texting him this evening to find out how he was feeling from the appendectomy and checking on him. He said they were just heading to Texas Roadhouse for an impromptu birthday dinner and asked me along. My mom told me after I got to the restaurant while we were waiting to be seated. They had just told my brother about an hour before so I think he's still a bit shocked and hasn't really proceeds things yet. My brother just turned 49. His wife is pretty shaken up as one might expect and after talking to my mom after dinner, I can tell she's pretty worried too as am I.
My wife has been dealing with health issues for some 8-9 years now and finally this summer they told her she has Lupus. So she does a lot of reading and research and jumped right on line to see what was up with this cancer. What she was first finding did not sound good, but after finding some more recent studies and info, it sounds like if this has been caught early enough and he is treated right then he has a good chance to beat this. Have to wait until they get into see this doctor in Grosse Pointe to see were he's at. Hopefully they can get him in quickly. Sorry for the long post but needed to try to get my head wrapped around this a bit. Thanks, Ken

Hate to hear that.. Hope all goes well and it's caught early, best wishes.

Mayo Clinic. Rochester,MN

That single word scares more people than just about any other.
The treatments available today are so much better than just 10 years ago. There is much to be hopeful for. You should look into "Immuno-Therapy" as well.
Best of luck to you.

Well the dreaded cancer is hitting my family again. Lost my aunt about 5 1/2 years ago due to a second fight with breast cancer. My cousin, her daughter is dealing with skin cancer. My Uncle, my aunt's brother has had skin cancer and recently lung cancer. Well my brother had to have his appendix removed a week ago and on his birthday to boot. From the ultrasound it appeared that it was starting to burst so they ended up doing the appendectomy last Wednesday evening. They found that what looked like was a bursting appendix was actually a soft tissue tumor right near the appendix that was rupturing. The doctor said that he'd only seen a few of these and none of them turned out to be anything.
Well the biopsy results came in today and it's a rare cancer, low grade appendicel mucinos neoplasasmi (say that 3 times fast). Apparently there's only one doctor in MI that even knows how to deal with this too.
I just happened to be texting him this evening to find out how he was feeling from the appendectomy and checking on him. He said they were just heading to Texas Roadhouse for an impromptu birthday dinner and asked me along. My mom told me after I got to the restaurant while we were waiting to be seated. They had just told my brother about an hour before so I think he's still a bit shocked and hasn't really proceeds things yet. My brother just turned 49. His wife is pretty shaken up as one might expect and after talking to my mom after dinner, I can tell she's pretty worried too as am I.
My wife has been dealing with health issues for some 8-9 years now and finally this summer they told her she has Lupus. So she does a lot of reading and research and jumped right on line to see what was up with this cancer. What she was first finding did not sound good, but after finding some more recent studies and info, it sounds like if this has been caught early enough and he is treated right then he has a good chance to beat this. Have to wait until they get into see this doctor in Grosse Pointe to see were he's at. Hopefully they can get him in quickly. Sorry for the long post but needed to try to get my head wrapped around this a bit. Thanks, Ken
Kern mentioned immuno therapy. That's what I'm on & I'm seeing reduction in my cancer. The drug I'm getting is called Keytruda.
Best Wishes!

Ken, I'm sorry to hear this. My wife has been in a battle with Stage 4 cancer for over seven years now, three surgeries and chemo. So i have a idea of what your brother and sister in law and you are going through. In addition I'm also sorry about your wife health issues as well.
For us finding the right doctors and hospitals were key to her living this long and with Gods graces many more years. I hope its the same for your brother.

When your family is able to deal with it take him to Mayo Clinic Or Cleveland Clinic. It takes lots of courage to stand up and fight this bastard. I Feel for you. I have lived it personally 15 years ago. Take your family member, to the best facility you can find. Love and God will help you go! It is not easy to step out of your comfort zone and go to the best facilities, it is intimidating, your scared and make cautious decisions when you have to be very aggressive and fight like a dog in heat.

Last edited:
Thoughts and Prayers to you and your whole family . . . hope that the outcome works out well . . .

I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers and well wishes.

Our mom called tonight. My Brother and sister in law are busy getting all the recent surgery, test and lab work info around. The cancer doc wants to see all of that stuff and have a few other test ran before even seeing my brother. Hopefully they'll have all that around and additional tests done by week's end. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, it is appreciated.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Cancer is an MFer I'd really like to kick in the teeth with a steel toed boot if I could!

Prayers go out to y'all. I've been dealing with a bit of skin cancer too and even though it's been confined to minor cuttings so far, it still weighs on ya....

Auto Transport Service
Back