• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wasps

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I was moving around several trailers this last weekend and found that the wasps have taken a liking to building nests under the trailer tongues. Nine times I was stung #$^^##$@@!
Went to hardware store and bought 10 cans of spray. I went wasp hunting. I have always checked the playground equipment so the grand kids don't get stung but have never really cared about nests other places well they started a war! I am very lucky to not be allergic.

Be careful and wear some kind of protective clothing. Ouch! Glad we don't have any
of the Africanized bees up this far north!

I had a very real near death experience from a wasp bite two years ago. I'd been bit in the past but I guess I'd lost my resistance. I now have to carry TWO epipens in case of a bite - the second is in case the first is defective !!

By the way, wasps don't "sting", they bite. As a result, they don't die after wards, they live to do it again. I'm talking "yellow jackets", I'm not sure which one's leave the pulsating poison sack in you .

I got nailed by one last weekend on the top of my head. Its pings off a passer by car mirror and ricochets between the nose piece of my glasses that are up on the top of my head and my noggin. It burned for three days.

Little known relief for bites and stings is ammonia.

I'm allergic and am surprised I haven't been stung/bit this year.....fingers crossed lol. Nests everywhere including at the back door! Hate them and always have wasp & hornet spray close by.

After Bite at pharmacies. Ammonia & baking soda. Works .

spray adhesive is fun....you get to watch the little bastards harden.....

Come to my wrecking yard. Have thousands of them every year. During the heat of the day I watch where they are nesting and then early in the morning they get the juice. Need to kill them while they are in their nest or they will just make a new nest.
Years ago the day before I was heading out on the 2000 mile trip to Carlisle I got into a nest. One wasp sting me 11 times on my left arm. Man it swelled up so big I looked like Popeye. Good thing I'm not allergic.

I bet you wish it was a bee, most likely this type of bee

images (4).jpeg images (5).jpeg

"after bite" etc only relieve the pain, they do nothing for an allergic reaction. If you suspect you're allergic, look into being tested and carrying an epipen.

Three years ago I was nailed on the lower leg. The next day I was swollen and had HUGE blisters from my ankle to my knee. Almost a year to the day later I was nailed at the base of my baby finger. After five minutes I was itching from my *** to my eyes and feeling chest pain. I thought the chest pain was psychological but it got worse. I went in the house and Googled wasp bites and one of the side effects is chest pain, lowered blood pressure, etc. - everything I was experiencing. Things were getting worse so I told my wife to take me to emerg which is about ten minutes away. I was nauseous in the car, couldn't stand up in emerg and was blacking out while they were questioning me. They stuck me with three IV's and kept me in for observation for four hours. They told my wife that another ten minutes and I'd have been a goner. I kill every wasp I lay my eyes on !!

Got into a yellow jacket nest and got stung a bunch of times. So I go up to the local H D store and bought 3 cans of "wasp" spray. I hit them while flying or crawling . They would hit the ground for a few seconds, then shake it off and fly. I tried all three different sprays and none worked.

I got stung twice in my right calf by something yesterday & didn't stick around to find out what it was, but i think it was a ground wasp. It stung for a bit, but I woke up about 3:00 am with it itching & right now I've got an area that's a bit bigger than a baseball that's pink, itchy and very warm.

Wasp spray is a "knock down" product, it kills and evaporates. I use a commercial grade that leaves a residual chemical that kills all the foraging insects when they return. We refer to Yellow Jackets as ***-holes with wings. If you rub ammonia on the sting it will sometimes stop the swelling as well. I keep it handy when I remove nests.

I say delay this project until after the first hard frost/freeze. Good Luck

Got stung 14 times once as a teenager. Walked on a dead tree in the woods and they came out of it. Pissed me of that day and since then, when I see wasp nest I go on a mission and show no mercy.:elmer:

Wasps do sting. Their stinger is not barbed like some other bees so they do not get ripped out of their bodies. They can sting repeatedly.

Auto Transport Service
Back