• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We bought another Grand Am.

SteveSS

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
These are so rare it's hard to pass one up. This one is a 75 not a 73 like the other two. It is the 455 (not running) with a posi. He was asking $2900 we got it for $1600.

GA3.jpg

Maybe we'll make it into a '77 Can Am clone.

can am 6.jpg
My son has a Pontiac 400 c.i. with Ram Air GTO heads. He'll probably use that.

Last edited:
Here's my second Grand Am. It's on the back burner right now. It's a 455 too. 500 lb/lbs torque.

ga2b.jpg
This
ga1b.jpg

The car was on the Pueblo Facebook Marketplace. There's another cheap Collonade-style GM car there. A 1975 Malibu for $3000. Looks rust-free. It's like the car in the Ryan Gosling drove in the movie DRIVE.

malibu.jpg

It had the giant front bumper the GA worked around that federally mandated bumper with a collapsible nose and the bumper was mounted to two internal shock absorbers. Still better than the 1974 GTO which was on the Pontiac Ventura platform.(Nova) The problem with the GA's nose is it deteriorated with the sun and they have to be replaced with a fiberglass nose. The Can Am's was a little better than the GTO LeMans. Still not as sexy as the GA's.

1977-pontiac-can-am-10 (1).jpg
I love it when a car really looks like the concept drawings. So rare. The Can Am is rare because someone broke the mold for the rear spoiler so they just stopped making them at the specialty shop.

Last edited:
I know these cars are not for everyone but my mom brought home a new 455 GA in 1973. My 1970 Dodge Coronet 500 isn't everyone's favorite either but I love it. There was a rumor that some GAs had the SD 455 but it's been largely discredited. The name came from a cross between the Grand Prix and the Trans Am. It was quite advanced for its time. Here's a real nasty one.

Last edited:
The car was on the Pueblo Facebook Marketplace. There's another cheap Collonade-style GM car there. A 1975 Malibu for $3000. Looks rust-free. It's like the car in the Ryan Gosling drove in the movie DRIVE.

View attachment 1556796
If that car was local, I'd buy it. My older brothers 1st car was a white '75 Malibu Classic with slotted mags, glasspacks and swivel bucket seats. It looked/sounded pretty good, I haven't seen one in a long time, seen a few '76's but they have uglier taillights and stacked headlights.

$1600? That looks like a pretty good deal from what is seen in the first post. Congrats Steve.

I like those Grand Ams. I think Magnums got some of their gueues from the Grand Am

I bought an ultra low mile 75 many years ago that burned a quart of oil every hundred miles. An old time mechanic told me that the rings weren't seated properly and that he had a fix - a can of Bon Ami scouring powder. We started the engine and ran it up to around 1500 rpms and he slowly poured the powder into the carb. It's job was to score the cylinder walls enough to get the rings to unstick...and it worked. A few months later I got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold the car. One I should have kept...

Last edited:
Welcome from Southern CA.
Nice Can Am there Steve, looks like $1600 well spent, good luck with the project.
A Triple Black '66 GTO W/389 Tri-Power 4-speed was in my garage for 15 years before my '67 GTX took over the spot.
I'm a Goat guy, always have been !!

It had the giant front bumper the GA worked around that federally mandated bumper with a collapsible nose and the bumper was mounted to two internal shock absorbers. Still better than the 1974 GTO which was on the Pontiac Ventura platform.(Nova) The problem with the GA's nose is it deteriorated with the sun and they have to be replaced with a fiberglass nose. The Can Am's was a little better than the GTO LeMans. Still not as sexy as the GA's.

View attachment 1556831 I love it when a car really looks like the concept drawings. So rare. The Can Am is rare because someone broke the mold for the rear spoiler so they just stopped making them at the specialty shop.
No offense, but I’d rather the ‘74 GTO “Nova” as it had a 4 speed option and the shaker was actually functional.

Auto Transport Service
Back