• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

were have the B intakes gone

Lowcar

Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
i am looking to replace a older edelbrock dual plane on a 383 with a low rise single plane intake, has to fit under the hood of a 65 plymouth. i have no luck in finding anything new in stock for the next 6 months or if ever, i have found a couple holly dominaters that had a hard life on fb but they are sold very quickly and they were 300-360. i have found a nice edelbrock streetmaster that to my eye looks like a holly, but after researching i can't find one good thing about the streetmaster . can anyone that know's first hand why such a bad reputation or is it just typical internet repeat that someone read. and i am not spending 550 dollars on a rpm

Aftermarket automotive parts are on the back burner....heck, getting replacement parts for cars is getting hard.....and the Streetbastids have had a bad rep since they were introduced. Good for very low end torque and maybe fuel mileage but that's about it.

you are just repeating what has already been stated over and over. i want to know why they are no good?

you are just repeating what has already been stated over and over. i want to know why they are no good?
Have you ever had one in your hands? If not, you don't want to LOL. Very tiny ports and even the transition from under the carb base and into the plenum sucks. It necks down. Imo, someone was thinking it would help add a venturi effect just under the carb and help increase flow velocity for a better mix and well, it didn't work too good. Only good thing about them is they are light weight aluminum.

no i've never seen one in person, but now it makes sense. thanks for the explanation, guess i'll pass on it and keep looking

no i've never seen one in person, but now it makes sense. thanks for the explanation, guess i'll pass on it and keep looking
If it's cheap....real cheap, it'll fit under the hood and will work ok but if you're looking for performance, it's not going to give you any. In fact, the factory intakes off of the hi-po 383's from 68-69 are pretty dang good and lots better than the Streetmaster.

the only thing they were made for was to save fuel!!!

That intake is inferior to the factory iron. Like so many others. Factory iron or a RPM. If your going to go to the strip or run a big stroker, then a single plane maybe more of what you’ll be needing.

something i thought i would never see you can buy a RB intake, used or new cheaper now than what a B intake cost. RB intakes seem to be growing on trees, there everywhere.[probably because i ain't looking for one] yea i have the original intake off of my first car a 68 RR but that thing weigh's a ton , that's the purpose of the switch new stealth heads and single plane intake

something i thought i would never see you can buy a RB intake, used or new cheaper now than what a B intake cost. RB intakes seem to be growing on trees, there everywhere.[probably because i ain't looking for one] yea i have the original intake off of my first car a 68 RR but that thing weigh's a ton , that's the purpose of the switch new stealth heads and single plane intake
Yup, those intakes are heavy but, years ago I had a 3/4 ton LWB pickup with a 400 with one on it. It had forged low comp pistons (I didn't build it) with an RV type cam, headers, 650 Holley DP (just because I had the carb) and 3.55 gears with 29" tall tires. The tires were pretty close to stock for that pig and it ran a 15.40 in the 1/4. Surprised me for sure! I put the intake, carb and headers on it and did a good tune. That old truck was probably around 42-4300 lbs iirc and anything that heavy would go that fast, I'm thinking it would be much faster at 3200. Gas mileage sucked but it would pull 4500 lbs without a problem and the fuel mileage was about the same. It was actually fun to drive with the heavy duty suspension under it although it was a bit rough riding on choppy streets. If you still have that intake, don't throw it away or scrap it because there are several out there that like them plus the part number means it's right for a restoration.....

that heavy intake and exhaust were the first things replaced in about 70 or 71. i still lived at folk's place on the farm then and left them in the garage many years later when folks retired and sold the farm i was helping cleaning out the garage and asked dad about them he said he hauled that junk to the ditch years ago. i dug intake and both exhaust out from underneath old barn tin that had saved them. the car was a different story dad sold to a scrapper without my knowledge for 25 dollars

that heavy intake and exhaust were the first things replaced in about 70 or 71. i still lived at folk's place on the farm then and left them in the garage many years later when folks retired and sold the farm i was helping cleaning out the garage and asked dad about them he said he hauled that junk to the ditch years ago. i dug intake and both exhaust out from underneath old barn tin that had saved them. the car was a different story dad sold to a scrapper without my knowledge for 25 dollars
That sucks. My dad some something like that when I went into the military but he didn't scrap my car at least.....

No I haven’t ever saw one but I have read how bad they are and that would be enough for me to not buy one.
Weeeelllll, I was dumb enough to buy a new one shortly after they were introduced......and it didn't take long to see how bad they were LOL

There are usually Holley Street Dominators for the low deck on Ebay. I haven't checked lately. Pretty low manifold.

thank's guys. intake's for the B low deck seem to be hard to find[ i should rephrase that new or like new] i'm doing a total rebuild with new stealth heads not looking for old crusty or 50 yr old dp4b intake that is whats on there now. i bit the bullet and bought that pretty rpm in the classifieds i know i said i wouldn't pay 550 i had a weak moment

Auto Transport Service
Back