• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Trimmed fruit trees today. Getting ready for spring…gotta trim all the raspberries next.
Done over this weekend so far;
Apple tree
Cherry tree
Pear trees
Crab apple tree
Plum tree

Cleaning out and mulching the flower gardens so the wife can say "ohhh pretty" next month.

..also rinsed some road brine off the vehicles today. Crazy and 10C today. Was supposed to pour all night so I put them outside for a free rinse, but it never rained. Will need skates tomorrow to move around the yard as the temps plummet ..
carwashmar62022 001.JPG
carwashmar62022 002.JPG
carwashmar62022 004.JPG

Not just today but over the past week I helped her set up the "Harvest Right" food freeze dryer. She bought this quite a while ago but was intimidated by it's operation. I got on it and with plenty of YT videos on owners who have shared their advice, we now are ready to start processing food for long term storage. This machine vacuums the moisture out of food and you end up with just about any kind off food that you just add water when you plan on consuming it.
There is an A/C style vacuum pump that has an oil sump filled with refrigerant oil. It doesn't circulate the oil. The oil gets contaminated with water and food particles. So I put a small twelve volt oil change pump, running off a 120 to 12 volt electronic converter to run it. Plumbed a diesel fuel/water separator to clean the oil in hopes to make the vacuum pump last. All total it is an expensive set up, all so we can buy food ahead when it's cheaper and as things are going obtainable. I deserve a pat on the head for my efforts. :)

DSCF5166.JPG
DSCF5165.JPG
DSCF5168 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Not a big deal, but I gave Fred the GTX his annual (yes, once a year) bath today.
We don't take him on long trips and never in rain if we can help it, so he never really
gets dirty - just dusty, mostly from our gravel road.
Once a year, I do a proper wash with Meguire's Gold to give the car a fresh "base" for
all the dustings and "quick detail" applications to come.

I don't half know how to act yet with a Mopar that's actually shiny.... :)

Installed rubber flooring in entry hall.
(OK, wife actually installed the floor, but I did the demo of the carpet that was in there, the tack strips, and the base board, and I trimmed the carpet in the next room and installed the carpet bar under the folding doors leading to the man cave).

20220305_104252.jpg
20220305_143800.jpg

A few weeks ago, the 1980's Sony receiver in my shop finally crapped out for good.
I had repaired it twice in the past but this time was different.

The next week I found a thrift store 65 WPC Phillips receiver for $5.
After setting it up, the left channel didn't work :(
...but as I was almost ready to tear it down, I cranked on the tone controls and the left side started working, although only for a few minutes.
I ordered some "DeoxIt" and it came in Friday.
Yesterday I took the front end off, and spray cleaned all the pots.
Turns out it was the volume pot, but it appears to be fixed.

20220306_163059.jpg

Made and consumed this delicious bacon cheese biscuit.

20220305_080211.jpg

Got my cars all dusty today, 7 hours of wire wheel work to lighten this wood up before Varathane, while trying to keep the character and patina !
basement2022part15 051.jpg
basement2022part15 060.jpg
basement2022part15 098.jpg
basement2022part15 100.jpg
basement2022part15 114.jpg

Worked at work and then mowed the lawn for an hour or so. Rainy weather is coming.

Almost forgot- mowed the weeds.

...and last night it rained.

Was "supposed" to hold off until later in the week.

Glad I got my outside stuff done over the weekend.

I'll do the top side tomorrow once the front edge and bottom dry. Then I'll get to see if my wall attachment plan works out...
basement2022part15 126.jpg
basement2022part15 130.jpg
basement2022part15 136.jpg
basement2022part15 137.jpg
basement2022part15 138.jpg

4-5" fresh powder yesterday! , got out this morning for a quick 20mile run! was thinking about a little hill climb, but thought better not without a spotter!
20220308_101533[1].jpg
!

Nice day today. Friend left a open trailer with me. He had a tire failure that tore up the fender.
He will be coming back for MATS so today I repaired the fender.

we got lucky, no rain yesterday and just cold enough to not be a sticky mess! first ride this year by myself didn't have to chase or be the rabbit!

Wife is the picher taker..... when we get home i will post some.
Basicly started the real trip in north Carolina, worked our way down the coast and across florida panhandlel and huged the gulf all the way to corpus cristi, now headed to scottsdale az, where i have a place.
This is a slice of usa that i never did before,now there isn't much left to do.
We are in no hurry, just love every minute.
Man, I'm pretty close to the Gulf Coast not far from Galveston.....

hung out with the wife daughters and grandkids for my birthday it was great
Happy Birthday!!!

A few weeks ago, the 1980's Sony receiver in my shop finally crapped out for good.
I had repaired it twice in the past but this time was different.

The next week I found a thrift store 65 WPC Phillips receiver for $5.
After setting it up, the left channel didn't work :(
...but as I was almost ready to tear it down, I cranked on the tone controls and the left side started working, although only for a few minutes.
I ordered some "DeoxIt" and it came in Friday.
Yesterday I took the front end off, and spray cleaned all the pots.
Turns out it was the volume pot, but it appears to be fixed.

View attachment 1250936
Have an old Kenwood 5150 in the shop that I keep 'doctoring' but it keeps on going and going.

Got my cars all dusty today, 7 hours of wire wheel work to lighten this wood up before Varathane, while trying to keep the character and patina !
View attachment 1251156 View attachment 1251157 View attachment 1251158 View attachment 1251159 View attachment 1251160
Man, I cover up my junk....I mean the old 97 diesel and the 96 Dakota but mostly care about keeping the glass from grinding dust etc....

Auto Transport Service
Back