• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Die Grinder bit to use. Need to enlarge antenna hole in fender

4mulas

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, don’t do much metal or body work so looking for what recommendations folks have for die grinder bits to enlarge my antenna hole. It was radio delete car that the previous owner put a radio in and aftermarket antenna. The hole is not what factory mopar antenna uses so I’m changing the antenna to stock and getting rid of the crappy aftermarket one.

fortunately the hole the made is near the stock location, I just have to enlarge it to fit the new antenna.

I can only think of using a die grinder or dremel like tool for this and would like recommendations on a good bit to use that maybe won’t create too much heat. I have both the die grinder and dremel.

‘’thanks!

BEE0BF55-9889-4130-BE80-D55F995EB2D2.jpeg

9D81E0C7-1DAF-4340-B666-8D5A6B74408B.jpeg

Last edited:
Tape the area and use a carbide cutter. It will cut easily with little heat. Just go slow and just remove whats needed for fitment.

I can only say what works for me; others may have other, better tips.
I find it easier to keep the hole round if you use the largest diameter burr that you have. Small burrs will want to make a raggedy looking hole; if you use a larger burr it is easier to make the gentle radius required. I’m not sure that a dremel has enough torque to effectively spin a large diameter burr.

Go hit up an electrician for his Greenlee unibit / step cutter to get it to the correct diameter. You'll be done in 15 seconds.

Go hit up an electrician for his Greenlee unibit / step cutter to get it to the correct diameter. You'll be done in 15 seconds.
Thought of those but I think the problem is that the existing hole is not centered to where I want the finished product to be? Not sure you could use that for this application?

I hog sideways with unibits all the time... but I'd practice on something first! Hey, it's only a fender.. LOL

I hog sideways with unibits all the time... but I'd practice on something first! Hey, it's only a fender.. LOL
And an A body one to boot lol..
I thought uni bits only went to about 1"

Hard to see in the photo I posted where it starts behind the stencil. I’m afraid my skills on the metal tools is definitely not up to your aircraft making abilities! I wouldn’t trust myself to try the sideways shuffle on a freshly painted fender. YIKES!

I've got some up to about 1 3/8" Greenlee Tools has all sorts of sizes for doing junction and panel boxes.

When you say Greenlee I think of these knock-outs. Thing is you have to be able to get to the opposite side.
s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

Carbide bits can grab and jump if you do not have enough rpms.
For this job I like khryslerkids dremel and sanding drums idea.

Tape the area and use a carbide cutter. It will cut easily with little heat. Just go slow and just remove whats needed for fitment.
I agree, no burs on the bottom and little heat to blister the paint.

Hi there, don’t do much metal or body work so looking for what recommendations folks have for die grinder bits to enlarge my antenna hole. It was radio delete car that the previous owner put a radio in and aftermarket antenna. The hole is not what factory mopar antenna uses so I’m changing the antenna to stock and getting rid of the crappy aftermarket one.

fortunately the hole the made is near the stock location, I just have to enlarge it to fit the new antenna.

I can only think of using a die grinder or dremel like tool for this and would like recommendations on a good bit to use that maybe won’t create too much heat. I have both the die grinder and dremel.

‘’thanks!

View attachment 1424663

View attachment 1424664
How much bigger? say 1" to 1 1/4" ? I wouldn't mess with a die grinder or drum sander. They are way too hard to control in a hole like that. A step bit would work well.

step bit.jpg

Maybe get it close with a carbide cutter and clean it up with a drum sander.

I ended up using a double cut carbide burr 1/4” x 3/4. Worked like a charm with light gradual passes. I etched the paint first to creat a sharp edge to prevent excess chipping etc…
the metal stayed nice and cool. I think a stone/drum sander would have taken a long time and created a lot of heat. Made a little bed of tape, sticky side up, to catch chips and filings from going into the bottom of the fender.

0C5EBD87-1080-4D1E-B2DE-351E4ACC179B.jpeg

07C6CA65-BABD-4294-A145-310B47AD41B2.jpeg

389B29E3-CD40-453C-8B97-84F203F5C906.jpeg

AB937BD6-C4FB-4410-80A1-9461659F18B9.jpeg

E5E5B47D-C2FF-4F56-A712-49E0E227EE41.jpeg

E6FE8C07-50BC-4D1A-B1CF-C9CC5A9BAE49.jpeg

992BAB6F-8D52-43A0-8339-998710D3C1FB.jpeg

B810CCDF-BAA3-4BD6-8D9C-15F195325038.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back