• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does a shop charge for front end rebuild?

At first I thought that was high. But if they are going to disassemble, blast, and powder coat all the parts. Supply the new parts, assemble, and do the alignment. That does not sound bad. Yes you need the steering installed to do the alignment.
Firm charges $85 for a diy subframe reinforcement kit and charges an extra $600 if you want them to do all the work. Similar numbers for the lower arm kit. Point is labor, shop overhead, blasting and coating adds up quick but there is no substitute for a complete quality job. If they have the reputation to back up their price it becomes one of those buy once cry once situations

While you are there you ought to go to close ratio steering parts. Big difference in these old cars.

Fix it yourself, and have fun doing it , even if you have to buy a few tools to get it done. The majority of people on this site do most of there own repairs, that's how having classic Detroit iron affordable.

I do most of the stuff myself, for some reason this just seemed like something I didn't want to touch. They are doing a couple other things since it is there as well.
I did put the power steering pump back on, everything works as it should, other than being super sloppy... which I hope to be fixed soon.
This is for a 71 b body. The steering box wasn't "capped", it was looped, with a hose.

Last edited:
I was quoted $2500.00 - $3000.00!

This seems high. They did state that all the parts all get powder coated, includes the alignment... and it includes some part that is mostly missed by shops that is Mopar related (whatever that is?)
They said the use Moog parts, that they acquire of course, for warranty reasons.

Also I removed my power steering. Should that be reinstalled for a rebuild?

Thanks!
i would

Have someone turn the wheel while you observe the movement of the parts to see if you can locate the source of the slop.

I found my tie rods were "toed out" by 1/4" and the car was very sloppy feeling.

I adjusted them to 1/4" toed IN and it now handles like new with not even an inch of play in the steering wheel.

I made a toe gauge out of some square stock, EMT electrical conduit, and thumbscrews.

Last edited:
Have someone turn the wheel while you observe the movement of the parts to see if you can locate the source of the slop.

I found my tie rods were "toed out" by 1/4" and the car was very sloppy feeling.

I adjusted them to 1/4" toed IN and it ow handles like new with not even an inch of play in the steering wheel.

I made a toe gauge out of some square stock, EMT electrical conduit, and thumbscrews.
Just so you know, Excessive toe will eat a set of tires... 1/4" is pushing it.... And yeah, toed out will have you herding the car constantly... Racers use toe out cause it'll turn in quick but there's no relaxing drive around the countryside...

To pay someone to do quality work, with quality parts, and quality powder.....isn't cheap. I wouldn't do anyone's like mine for 3K.

Just so you know, Excessive toe will eat a set of tires... 1/4" is pushing it.... And yeah, toed out will have you herding the car constantly... Racers use toe out cause it'll turn in quick but there's no relaxing drive around the countryside...

The tire wear was what clued me in to check the toe.

I was putting new front tires on at the time, partially because of it.

After the adjustment to toe in, the new tires are wearing evenly in addition to the handling greatly improving with the slop and "wander" going away.

I spoke to the shop today and they have the car finished. With the replacement of all the bushings, alignment and wheel balance he figured 8 hours of labour. He wants $600 but I think I will give him a little extra.

IMG_20230705_200152.jpg

I think I'm moving where you live! $600.00?!

How much were parts?

Yes I was pleasantly surprized at the labour bill. I ordered Moog upper and lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings. My buddy who owns a parts store was able to source them locally, which meant I had them quickly. They were close to $150.00 I think. They were showing up much cheaper on RockAuto, but I am in Canada so shipping would have taken too much time.

I checked over the front end today . I had to readjust the torsion bar height, and the sway bar links. I didn't repaint anything but I did hit the control arms with some brake clean. The car drove home just fine and tracked straight, so I think I am good to go for Carlisle.

IMG_20230709_143604552.jpg

IMG_20230709_143723090.jpg

IMG_20230709_144131478.jpg

IMG_20230709_144143818.jpg

Maybe @qkcuda might give you a idea? Just had bushings replaced. Wouldn't be much more to add in ball joints.

Yes I was pleasantly surprized at the labour bill. I ordered Moog upper and lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings. My buddy who owns a parts store was able to source them locally, which meant I had them quickly. They were close to $150.00 I think. They were showing up much cheaper on RockAuto, but I am in Canada so shipping would have taken too much time.
Rock Auto has some of the best shipping program, I also live in Canada and on average it takes 3 days during the work days. They do a better job of getting you the part compared to alot of auto supply stores.

I was on a short time frame, and my buddy had them next day. Normally I would have used RockAuto

Auto Transport Service
Back