• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what other non car projects are you working on?

Thanks for asking.
Answer - I am getting sick of being number 4 when it comes to a shower in the morning - and getting left with cold water. In the long run, the changeover will probably only save me about 10%, but it's not the cost that bothers me. We will now have endless hot water, and hot water on demand. Since we have 3 x bathrooms, and the laundry feeding from a 135 litre (approx 40 gallons) cylinder, that don't stretch far enough with a family of four.....let alone trying to get the laundry done etc.
We're on bottled LPG, but that a small price to pay rather than piping from the street, and our area is not piped anyway. :thumbsup:
L.p. is much more efficient to heat water
Keep the close dryer and oven/range electric though. For safety purposes

I'm currently building a bridge to the upstairs of my garage, refinishing a table set, building yet another retaining wall all while trying to get started on adding onto my garage... not enough time!

I'm currently building a bridge to the upstairs of my garage, refinishing a table set, building yet another retaining wall all while trying to get started on adding onto my garage... not enough time!

you're a busy boy!

We converted the furnace to LP from oil a few years ago and saved a bundle. Our electric hot water heater probably costs us a high portion of the $200/month electricity bill since our stove is also LP. I want to switch over to LP to heat the water, but around here you cannot go buy a LP hot water tank to install yourself, even with hiring a gas fitter for the LP work. The market is locked down on them for some stupid reason and they want $3,000 to sell you and install a $700 tank. Annoying! We'll do it in the future.
I had planned on continuing my pool equipment shed/tiki bar project once the 64 was done. Then the kid's civic blew a head gasket, so still on a car project! I was hoping (actually my wife was hoping) for a break from car stuff for a little while.
On the list is to tear out the fireplace insert to remove a blockage in the liner, refinish the cherry floor and probably start building some much needed overhead cabinets for the shop as soon as the civic is out of the way.

Never enough time!

. The market is locked down on them for some stupid reason and they want $3,000 to sell you and install a $700 tank. .

Thank God I'm a country boy!
I can do whatever I want with my old house, just so long as it doesn't involve insurance fraud.
:lol:

Thank God I'm a country boy!
I can do whatever I want with my old house, just so long as it doesn't involve insurance fraud.
:lol:
Couldn't agree more, I read so many threads on here where people have to get permits for everything, forced to hire contractors to do jobs that they're likely more qualified to do, have neighbors reporting them for inoperative vehicles in their driveways, can't pee outside, can't shoot off hundreds of rounds without raising an eyebrow..... I feel very fortunate, built my own home and 3 garages and have yet to need a permit or hire any contractors not to mention I've got boats, cars and trailers laying around. The country has it's benefits for sure!

Couldn't agree more, I read so many threads on here where people have to get permits for everything, forced to hire contractors to do jobs that they're likely more qualified to do, have neighbors reporting them for inoperative vehicles in their driveways, can't pee outside, can't shoot off hundreds of rounds without raising an eyebrow..... I feel very fortunate, built my own home and 3 garages and have yet to need a permit or hire any contractors not to mention I've got boats, cars and trailers laying around. The country has it's benefits for sure!
Yep, even here in rural riverside county(Homeland, pop 5000)code enforcement is a bitch. Even in a plankboard fenced yard one can't legally own & keep non-op cars. In Huntington Beach, Orange County, i know a couple People who were fined for leaving their garden hose unspooled.

L.p. is much more efficient to heat water
Keep the close dryer and oven/range electric though. For safety purposes
I will keep everything else electric, as I believe it to be the safest energy source available here. Being an Electrician and having to work on other people's appliances and home, I will never get a gas cooker. They are so hard to keep clean and tidy. I am changing up from a solid element to a flat glass top electric - probably induction...fully automatic.:thumbsup: Just spray and wipe to clean....a few seconds.

wall.jpg
wall1.PNG
Fixed daughter's bird feeder. Had a retaining built, had to have the contractor come back. His worker put in 6 blocks wrong. Took them an hour to fix it. He was all paid and didn't blow me off. I'll give him credit for that.

Last edited:
Replacing the trans and updating the interior in this beast.

20170510_213102.jpg

Seriously?
1. My home chores
2. 3 rental homes
3. Landscaping
4. Taking care of my 90 year old mother who is blind and Type II insulin dependent
5. on and on and on!

Thanks for asking.
Answer - I am getting sick of being number 4 when it comes to a shower in the morning - and getting left with cold water. In the long run, the changeover will probably only save me about 10%, but it's not the cost that bothers me. We will now have endless hot water, and hot water on demand. Since we have 3 x bathrooms, and the laundry feeding from a 135 litre (approx 40 gallons) cylinder, that don't stretch far enough with a family of four.....let alone trying to get the laundry done etc.
We're on bottled LPG, but that a small price to pay rather than piping from the street, and our area is not piped anyway. :thumbsup:
Is the lp gas a tankless unit?

Some LED's are not designed to be more than about 6 feet from their driver - so it may be that you just selected the wrong type. There are Current drivers and voltage drivers available - for different applications. It may also be the loading issue of your driver setup....I fixed a job a few years ago (that an expert Bathroom installer fitted) and found he had used a 350mA driver where a 700mA driver was required....lady was wondering why her square red LED fitting beside the toilet bowl would flash occasionally.:D
I was planning on using leds instead of can lights in a customers kitchen ceiling. Now maybe that is not a good idea.

I will keep everything else electric, as I believe it to be the safest energy source available here. Being an Electrician and having to work on other people's appliances and home, I will never get a gas cooker. They are so hard to keep clean and tidy. I am changing up from a solid element to a flat glass top electric - probably induction...fully automatic.:thumbsup: Just spray and wipe to clean....a few seconds.
Use lp gas for heat and cooking only here. Neather of us have been impressed with the gas oven. The electic oven is in storage. An induction cook top is in the plans. She doesn't like the gas and the old element tops are to slow after using gas. Our quick recover electric water heater 40 gal takes care of the 2 of us. When the house is done it will set less than 20 feet from the baths. Now 60 ft. takes to much water to get hot water that far.

I was planning on using leds instead of can lights in a customers kitchen ceiling. Now maybe that is not a good idea.
Mains powered LED fittings are the way to go - stay away from traditional 'downlights' where possible - especially if they have airflow holes through them. The trick is to insulate all around the fitting (aka closed and abutted out this way) and prevent air escaping from the room or roof via the light fitting - that helps maintain a good insulation rating. Also, modern LED fittings are 'sealed' which prevents spiders and other small vermin travelling via the light fittings. A friend of mine recently upgraded his old downlights, because from a distance his roof looked like the Milky Way. :lol:

Mains powered LED fittings are the way to go - stay away from traditional 'downlights' where possible - especially if they have airflow holes through them. The trick is to insulate all around the fitting (aka closed and abutted out this way) and prevent air escaping from the room or roof via the light fitting - that helps maintain a good insulation rating. Also, modern LED fittings are 'sealed' which prevents spiders and other small vermin travelling via the light fittings. A friend of mine recently upgraded his old downlights, because from a distance his roof looked like the Milky Way. :lol:
The leds i have been looking at only require a big enough hole for the wire and fasten direct to the sheet rock. Look something like the little battery powered ones.
Been putting a lot of the small globes in small closets and hall ways. Last for years and cheeper than normal fixtures.

I was refuring to the water heater. Hot water on demand or continues heated tank?
Hot water on demand - I believe it fires up as soon as the hot water pipe drops in pressure, then resumes. It is taking about 15 seconds to reach up stairs with hot water at the desired temperature. No longer storing hot water that runs out if too many people take long showers. :thumbsup: BTW...it has a mains socket - for the electronics and ignition circuitry.

The leds i have been looking at only require a big enough hole for the wire and fasten direct to the sheet rock. Look something like the little battery powered ones.
Been putting a lot of the small globes in small closets and hall ways. Last for years and cheeper than normal fixtures.
Cool....we get those here in 'strings' of 5 or 10. They are great for effect lighting down a hallway and such - or outdoors versions are great for a garden pathway.

Auto Transport Service
Back