• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What temp thermostat to use?

1967coronet440

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on what temp thermostat to use on my 535”.

180, 160?

Thanks

I have played with both....on various builds mine have always been happy with 180....it all falls on what operating temp your engine likes...many factors here

It will be nice to see others opinions on this....

I have played with both....on various builds mine have always been happy with 180....it all falls on what operating temp your engine likes...many factors here

It will be nice to see others opinions on this....
I remember reading before that you want the t-stat with the bypass valve. But figured I’d get some opinions before I make a purchase.

Maybe someone can chip in on spark plugs also, motor is 12:1 cr. I know I need the 14mmx3/4 but not sure on the heat range.

In terms of the thermostat, I've always used a 160. I have seen a difference when I went from 180 to 160, with the 160 keeping the coolant about 10-20 degrees cooler.

plugs...ugghhh...opinions will be everywhere on that.....

Excluding my OE engines....all others NGK second autolites

IMO a 160 is just too cold to get the oil up to temp to burn off the acids and condensation, not to mention really poor fuel consumption. I'd stick with a 180, might even try a 190-5.

I did just the opposite. I went from a 160 to a 180. Seems as though the motor likes to be a bit warmer. Also have a triple core radiator. Besides the Ma Mopar FSM says 180.

Thanks guys, it has HO water pump from 440 source and 2 row 1” tube radiator with dual electric fans and shroud from ECP.

I did just the opposite. I went from a 160 to a 180. Seems as though the motor likes to be a bit warmer. Also have a triple core radiator. Besides the Ma Mopar FSM says 180.

If I remember right, the manual says depending on weather conditions. It says similar things for oil weights. Like in very cold weather, the a-833 can use auto fluid.

I would run a 180 thermostat. I've read that lower temps don't allow contaminants like fuel to boil off as well plus motors generally run better at higher temp IMO. For plugs I generally start with what the factor called for in a similar engine (pre smog high output) like a 69 440 and go from there.

Since you live in Indiana I'd go with the 180 although I bet you won't do a lot of winter driving. The thermostat degrees are less important than a well designed cooling system that will maintain a constant temp range in all types of weather and usage.

Since you live in Indiana I'd go with the 180 although I bet you won't do a lot of winter driving. The thermostat degrees are less important than a well designed cooling system that will maintain a constant temp range in all types of weather and usage.
Absolutely no winter driving in my car lol, 535 cubic inches and drag radials wouldn’t do so well on winter roads haha

You guys know that the thermostat does not set the operating temp of the engine, right?

It only sets the time it takes to warm up.

Using a low temp tstat means you are subjecting your engine to longer periods of low temperature operation during the most damaging time- cold.

Motor will stay cleaner with a 180. It may or may not et better with a 160. My hemi is about a 0.10 faster with a 160. Never bothered to try it on the roadrunner just because it's a street car 99% of the time.

I run a 195 in my 340 with mild cam and 9.5:1 compression. No issues thus far since the rebuild. Also running one level hotter plugs.

What's the main purpose of the car? Street or strip, I like to run a 180 but if your car runs better with a 160, to prevent extended warmup, run an electric water pump and fan and turn it on once the temps hits 160 or so. Even at that, once the engine hits 160 and you turn on the pump, you'll see a drop in temp and with your radiator, I'm doubting you'll even need to turn on the fan unless the outside temps are pretty high. Better yet, use temp sensors to turn on the pump and fan. With my street cars, 180 was always the minimum with a 195 in the winter just to get quicker heat for the heater but in the last 10 years or so, that hasn't really been needed so much being in the 'great' Gulf Coast area.....sometimes I dislike being here lol

What's the main purpose of the car? Street or strip, I like to run a 180 but if your car runs better with a 160, to prevent extended warmup, run an electric water pump and fan and turn it on once the temps hits 160 or so. Even at that, once the engine hits 160 and you turn on the pump, you'll see a drop in temp and with your radiator, I'm doubting you'll even need to turn on the fan unless the outside temps are pretty high. Better yet, use temp sensors to turn on the pump and fan. With my street cars, 180 was always the minimum with a 195 in the winter just to get quicker heat for the heater but in the last 10 years or so, that hasn't really been needed so much being in the 'great' Gulf Coast area.....sometimes I dislike being here lol
It is a a Street strip car, by street I mean just cruising to local shows now and then. I do have a fitech 1200 up top that can control both fans so I’ll have that set up also. Think I’ll try the 180 first and see how that goes.

As for plugs, you need to 'read' them and see what's up.....

Auto Transport Service
Back